Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, as the title says... I had the frame, brakes, stem, headset, crank, seatpost, fork and saddle laying around in the grage. I have never owned a SS but have always curious to ride and own one. So, what the heck... I have all these parts, and if im going to build it, might as well add some 650b wheels. (tried my buddies 650b wheels on frame and fork first to see if they fit; like a glove.) :thumbsup:

Frame was blue and all scratched up, some paint remover, polisher, and elbow grease did the job.

Frame: 01' Schwinn Homegrown Pro.
Fork: 06' SID Team (some said it wouldnt fit, but it sure did)
Brakes: Juicy 5
Stem: Ritchey
Handle Bar: Woodman xc flatbar (ano blue)
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: Specialized
Crankset: Shimano XT
Wheels: Notubes 650 wheels with ebay "el cheapo" PowerWay hubs)
Tires: Pacenti Quasi-Motos 2.0 (all tubeless)

Havent even ridden her yet... i'll give a review once i ride her this weekend. All of my buddies who ride ss's tell me I will never ride a geared bike again. That kind of scares me after I just build a high end Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon fully xtr for race and my Superlight might also hit the curb according to them.

Nearly an exact 20lbs.

Tell me what ya think...

Cheap ebay hubs look pretty decent. Lets see how they perform.

dont mind Rusty my Vizsla.

enough clearance?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,921 Posts
Geee a polished Schwinn Homegrown... one of the made-by-yeti ones at that, from the late 90s.

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DeeEight said:
Geee a polished Schwinn Homegrown... one of the made-by-yeti ones at that, from the late 90s.
yup, yup... very close with the year. it's a 01'. :thumbsup:

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MMcG said:
Sharp! You sure you are good to go with the Sid?
One way to find out... If I don't post for days, then something might have gone wrong.:D

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JMac47 said:
Howz the motor?? :D
outta gas... :eek:

Just built me the new carbon blur for this next race season. Hopefully the whole 650b ss thing doesn't make me ditch the new race bike... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
That's a damn fine polish job you did on that frame ;) Looks amazing :thumbsup: Ain't it nice when you've got enough stuff lying around to r esurect some old bike and make a small, but very meaningful upgrade like to 650B wheels ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nice 650b homegrown. I'd be curious as well as to how it performed.

Also, that is not a Yeti built homegrown. Last year of the Yeti homegrowns was 1999.

Nice bike though. I might have to do that to my homegrown, which is a Yeti built '99 homegrown.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Well, as the title says... I had the frame, brakes, stem, headset, crank, seatpost, fork and saddle laying around in the grage. I have never owned a SS but have always curious to ride and own one. So, what the heck... I have all these parts, and if im going to build it, might as well add some 650b wheels. (tried my buddies 650b wheels on frame and fork first to see if they fit; like a glove.) :thumbsup:

Frame was blue and all scratched up, some paint remover, polisher, and elbow grease did the job.

Frame: 01' Schwinn Homegrown Pro.
Fork: 06' SID Team (some said it wouldnt fit, but it sure did)
Brakes: Juicy 5
Stem: Ritchey
Handle Bar: Woodman xc flatbar (ano blue)
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: Specialized
Crankset: Shimano XT
Wheels: Notubes 650 wheels with ebay "el cheapo" PowerWay hubs)
Tires: Pacenti Quasi-Motos 2.0 (all tubeless)

Havent even ridden her yet... i'll give a review once i ride her this weekend. All of my buddies who ride ss's tell me I will never ride a geared bike again. That kind of scares me after I just build a high end Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon fully xtr for race and my Superlight might also hit the curb according to them.

Nearly an exact 20lbs.

Tell me what ya think...

Cheap ebay hubs look pretty decent. Lets see how they perform.
I really like seat stays.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have a 12+ year old 26" SS, fully rigid. It's still a great change of pace from a geared F.S. bike or even a HT. But it is very clear to me why 29" was so attractive early on to SS. Better roll makes so much sense with 1 gear. My fork will easily fit a 650b wheel; But I have not run the bike "B-26"- yet. But surely intend to. Bound to be an improvement.

The point I want to make which I have elsewhere is that the worst drawback to SS is spinning out your "high" gear. Some people fear the lack of a "low" gear having to dismount trying to climb steeps. But most find climbing to be a fun challenge. You have to learn to stand and grind while pulling on wide bars in a rowing motion. You can practically feel your legs muscles growing every time you clean something Steep and gnarly

Spinning out is why I built up a 1X9 2 years ago. Never do any more . And because your low gear is now much lower than SS, you can maintain seated squatting type of climbing till you have to move up to standing. With an SS background, you can take a 1 X up anything pretty much.

The 1X9 was converted to 650b last year. I needed a new fork (X fusion) and swapped the 32t front ring for a 31t to get the 26" gear ratios back.

If I ever do get another SS, it will be a 29" HT. Meanwhile, I recommend 1X for geared 650b HT. My trail bike 650b is 2 x 9. I need a granny to climb the 5 lbs heavier bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
dog is def the best part!

i stumble onto this as i'm doing the same thing with my 01 homegrown. it should be back from paint any day now...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts