Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I read the forums the less I know... and the more analysis paralysis sets in.

I am looking for a new 29er hardtail for begg./intermediate trail and fire roads mostly, and was considering the Diamondback Overdrive Comp, REI Novara Ponderosa, or a Fezzari hardtail. I'm coming from a 10 year old REI Novara hardtail 26".

After browsing some more on the forums saw this Fuji on closeout from Jenson for $899 Fuji Tahoe 29 2.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop. They have my size (17") and the fork Recon Silver and Shimano SLX/XT drivetrain look better than anything else in the price range.

Thoughts? Anything wrong with this set-up or a 2012 model?

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Definately a good offer on the FUJI imo. You get a proper fork, front and rear derailleur, shifter and hydraulic brakes for less than 1000$. It's a bit heavy though, but you might improve on that with new wheels and tires eventually.

Edit: Just looked at that Diamondback you also considered, it has worse components all over for a higher price. I bought a Focus Black Forest 3.0 29er last year for 1300$ (LBS) and it has worse fork (Rockshox XC32, 100mm air) and shifters and that was a pretty decent deal.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
The big thing I don't like about catalog bikes is that you don't get to test ride them first.

Since you have a bike, you can use that as a reference. If my old bike fit me well, I'd look for my new bike to have the same frame reach. If that's too hard to measure or Fuji doesn't publish it, you can use effective top tube length. ETT can be messed up by different seat angles, so use a little caution.

Make sure this is a real step up over your old bike. The last ten years haven't been as significant as the previous ten.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that's a good question on if it's worth it for me. My typical ride is more of an after work fitness ride 5 miles on roads, 5 miles up fireroads, some trails, 1500 feet of climb. I definitely would like to get into more serious rides and use the bike more. I live in Marin County so there's lot of opportunities.

So is it worth $1,000 to upgrade?
2005 Novara Bonanza vs. 2012 Fuji Tahoe
26er vs. 29er
80mm entry level Manitou fork vs. Recon Silver
Shimano Mechanical Disk vs. Hydraulic Disk
Alivio/Deore Drivetrain vs SLX/XT Drivetrain

Obviously those are some good upgrades across the board, but will it make a difference for my entry level purposes?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Let me propose another use of your $1000.

A real fork, nicer brakes, and replace anything on your drivetrain that's not working right anymore.

The problem with incremental upgrades is that you often don't end up with parts you'd want to keep long-term. IIRC, the Recon Silver will accept the cartridges to be a pretty nice fork. But that requires some additional time and money. Why not a Reba? Or something along those lines.

And what hydraulic discs does the Tahoe ship with? If they're Tektro or Promax or something, they may not be any better than what you've got. Hydraulics aren't categorically better, they still have to be executed well.

I think drivetrain upgrades are vastly overrated. Does your drivetrain shift whenever you want to, and only went you want to? Then there's no up to grade.

I do like 29" wheels better. But I'm still keeping my old 26" Hardrock at work to ride on lunch breaks. My 29er's not enough better to be worth all the extra screwing around, and it's also a FS with fancy high-dollar bits all over it.

While I'm arguing with everything you say, 10 miles after work is not too shabby. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
How about the Specialized Rockhopper or the Airborne Guarduian? I'm stuck too... Looked at the Fuji bikes and yeah it sounds great but those are already 2012 bikes...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or a 2013 Marin Nail Trail with nice Fox fork, and Deore XT Shadow plus with a clutch for $1,099 from Crosslake Sales. Sigh, too many options. May ride my 26er some more, do some new rides and join in with the some of the weekend group rides to see other's set-ups.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That Marin doesn't sound too bad either. I guess you'd be pretty happy with either bike. To get a significant upgrade to either would require a really lucky find on a used or spending way more cash.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I feel like that will be the case. Any of these $1,000ish bikes will meet my needs alright. To make a car analogy- oh you drive a Miata, no you need a 370z. No that's no good you need a Corvette. No, what you really should get is a 911 GT3. For most people the Miata will be just fine and just as fun.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Nothing wrong with that Fuji if you're due for a new bike.

Are you open to buying a used bike? Can get some good bang for your buck.

I'd consider running the Novara until you run into a screaming deal on something nice, depending how comfortable you are with mechanical stuff and buying used in general.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
BTW, I forgot yo mention.
I had the Overdrive. Would not recommend it to anyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts