Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding Stumpjumpers since 2004, and this is my 4th one. The bike this new one replaces was a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er Expert Carbon. I really liked the old bike, but just like that bike, the price was too good to pass up. A good price on a leftover S-Works and a little envy of other guys with new bikes and I was sold.

I just had my first trail ride with my new bike. Freaking totally different ride characteristics. Why did I wait so long? I resisted "fat" tires for several years, worried about weight while climbing and rolling resistance, and at 51 years old, these things matter for a weekend warrior like myself.

The nearly same diameter tire but the low pressure (I started with 20 psi but let some air out into the ride, maybe 15 psi) made for an excellent smooth ride. It erases smaller edge hits like roots and rocks that are not higher the 3 inches. And it GRIPPED like crazy I had NO climbing slip like I usually do with my 29 inch Maxxis High Roller 2 tires on the old bike. I pedaled up certain obstacles I was sure I would have some slippage and these tires hook up.

And the gimmicky SWAT cargo box and Steer Tube tool? They are awesome, used the tool twice during the first ride. Just SO easy to have it in the hand in a second and back into the storage space. And I put a 27.5 tube, plus a CO2 inflator and 2 extra 16g CO2 cartridges in the Swat box as well.

This left a ton of space in my Mule Camelbak. So I ditched the backpack. Bought a fanny hydration bag (51 ounces-1.5 liters) and threw a 21 oz water bottle into the cage, just to make sure I had enough for the ride. It was totally awesome having 8 pounds of water and tools NOT on my back. I haven't ridden without a pack in 20 years. Liberating is the right word.

If any one has not thought about it or had the opportunity to try it, definitely try a plus sized bike.

Now need a clear sunny day to take some glamour shots of the old 2013 Stumpy and a near new 2015 Enduro I bought for bike parks, and barely used. Both have to go. Sigh...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats.

I ride the 6fattie Comp version. Love the bike and it has become my primary ride. The 27.5+ tires do perform as advertised.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome to the 6-fattie club. I have been riding mine since 2016 and still haven't found a bike that makes me want to switch other than a Turbo Levo but that is a different world.

I to just switched from a Camelbak Hawg to a hip pack and other than really long rides out in the middle of nowhere, I won't wear a pack again. Being on the bike patrol I have to carry more than normal but now I store almost all the first aid in the swat box, tool under the top tube and just keep the pump, food, and water in the hip pack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.