Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I picked up a new 2014 2014 Specialized Epic Carbon Comp about 3 weeks ago and I'm aiming to have it weigh less than 25 pounds with pedals. In stock form it was 26.5 pounds with Pedals. I know may seem heavy bought the claimed weights of a lot of bikes are inaccurate. I almost picked up a Giant Anthem 29er instead but it weighed 26.25 pounds and costed $4515 with tax. I took a scale with me when I was shopping around.

My goal is to cost around 5000$ Canadian after selling parts and weigh less than 25 pounds.

Bike new $4170 plus Tax $4387.00
mod 1 Remove front shifter and derailleur Cost Free
mod 2 new RaceFace Narrow 30T chainring $50
mod 3 new FSA K force Carbon HandleBar $55
mod 4 new FSA K force Carbon Seatpost $55
mod 5 new XT 10 sp Cassette $60.99
mod 6 new Hope 40T Hope T-Rex Expander Sprocket $98
mod 7 new Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo - Stan's Crest Rear Wheel $369.98
mod 8 new Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo - Stan's Crest Front Wheel $186.49
Total Cost after selling some parts = $5062.46
Estimated Weight as I'm awaiting Cassette, Sprocket and seatpost 24.6 pounds :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would consider an alternative to the Crests like the Wide Lightnings at the same weight. Crests have a spoke tension limit that can lead to a lot of truing for the rear.
Thank you for advice, reason I went with the Crest's is because I ran them on my 2011 Giant Anthem x1 but in 26er form, I had no issues what so ever. I will have to see how these 29ers hold up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
mod 3 new FSA K force Carbon HandleBar $55
mod 4 new FSA K force Carbon Seatpost $55
Where are you finding those parts for $55 CAD? I was on the hunt for a FSA K-Force post for 3 months and only found used ones for, at the least, $85 USD which has got to more like $110 CAD....

Curious is all, I ended up going with a Thomson like the rest of my bikes, but wouldn't have minded the bling and the cush of the K-Force.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are you finding those parts for $55 CAD? I was on the hunt for a FSA K-Force post for 3 months and only found used ones for, at the least, $85 USD which has got to more like $110 CAD....

Curious is all, I ended up going with a Thomson like the rest of my bikes, but wouldn't have minded the bling and the cush of the K-Force.
I found the FSA stuff off pinkbike classifieds private sellers and all new stuff. Tried eBay but no luck for decent prices.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Complete

Removed front shifter and derailleur
RaceFace Narrow 30T chainring
FSA K force Carbon HandleBar
FSA K force Carbon Seatpost
XT 10 sp Cassette
Hope 40T Hope T-Rex Expander Sprocket
Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo - Stan's Crest Rear Wheel
Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo - Stan's Crest Front Wheel

Total Cost $5100 sold a few things
TOTAL weight with Cranbros Eggbeater 24.05 pounds

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.