Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a little nice weather and got a couple of shots of the new build.

2008 Reign 1 Frame, RP2 shock - 18" frame (used frame picked up in December)
Manitou Nixon Intrinsic 160mm with IT
Stylo GXP 3.3 Cranks & BB
Shimano XT - Rear D, Front D, shifters and Brakes
Easton AM 65mm stem, and low rise bar
Easton Havocs - with QR rear, and setup for 20mm front.
Conti - Mountain King 2.2 tires
In this setup the bike is 29.75 lbs, that is with the headlight as I was too lazy to remove it.

For more AM setup I will swap to my Syncro DP25, on Hope Pro II hubs (10mm RWS TA & 20mm front) with fairly substantial 2.35 rear and 2.4 front tires. Rims/hubs about the same weigh as the Havoc wheels but tires add about 1/2lb - 3/4 lb, but much more grip.

I used my old seatpost from my 2005 Trance but even with the length cut down it is still too long to allow for dropping the post for really technical bits. So I resorted to my old parts bin and found an old telescoping seatpost. I will use the tele seatpost for XC/AM rides.

I also have a rear wheel setup with a 1.5 slick. That way I can easily swap out and use for commuting to work. I use a second saddle and seatpost setup with a pannier rack as well. I wonder how many riders use a 6" travel bike as their commuter.:p

One last comment, is there anyway to keep the rear derailleaur cable and the rear brake line from rubbing on the shock body as the suspension compresses?

Anyways here are a few updated shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
rideitall said:
One last comment, is there anyway to keep the rear derailleaur cable and the rear brake line from rubbing on the shock body as the suspension compresses?
You can get some clear sticky strips to protect the shock from rubbing or get some Jagwire cable protectors. I don't have my cables zip tied to the cable mounts though which makes them a bit lower and keeps them off the shock body.

The bike looks great BTW! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
nice rig rideitall.
I have a 2008 reign 1 specific question.
assuming that you still have the original shock, what are the propedal and rebound valving the rp2 comes from factory (u know the three bars sign on either side of the shock)
thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
rideitall said:
This is how I do it on my Trance X2, take two zip ties and make the same configuration as pictured. It works really well and spaces the cables away from the shock while still allowing the cable to move forward and back when turning the bars. Cheap, simple, and recommended. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
p_cycle said:
nice rig rideitall.
I have a 2008 reign 1 specific question.
assuming that you still have the original shock, what are the propedal and rebound valving the rp2 comes from factory (u know the three bars sign on either side of the shock)
thanks
The stickers indicate rebound in the middle (bar 2 of 3), and compression is high (bar 3 of 3).

With the RP2 and the high compression setting, when lever is on is is very stiff in terms of compression, not a lockout but almost. With it open it is extremely plush. The settings work for me just wish I had the RP23 and had a little more in terms of options.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
thanks for the feedback
hopefully I will be able to see how it works for me and my weight/riding style soon enough.
I do have an rp23 on my other (not reign) bike and the tuning range is not that big, the 3 propedal positions don't change that much to respond to all mountain conditions in a way different than on/off propedal does IMHO.
Thus I do feel that first priority upgrade to the standard bike should be a 160 travel adjustable fork.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drush said:
This is how I do it on my Trance X2, take two zip ties and make the same configuration as pictured. It works really well and spaces the cables away from the shock while still allowing the cable to move forward and back when turning the bars. Cheap, simple, and recommended. :thumbsup:QUOTE]

Looks good I will give it a try.

thx

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chameleoneel said:
oh hey, I'd swap that 6 inch rotor up front to an 8 inch.
I thought about that, but would need to purchase another 8 inch rotor while I have a boat load of 6 inch rotors already.

I usually keep two sets of wheels per bike built up per bike. In the past I have run my XC bike with 6 inch rotors without having noticed any issues.

On my FR bike I have a second rear wheel built (150 x 12) that is built up for light duty (Hope Pro II on a Mavic 521) , but don't have a second 20mm wheel built up. I was considering putting an 8 inch rotor mount on my XC bike so that I could share one of the 20mm fronts.

I figure I could use the heavy duty XC front wheel as my light duty FR wheel. Anyone want to swap a couple 6 inch rotors for a couple of 8 inch rotors :p

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fixbikeguy said:
Nice build. It turned out good. I think that you got the frame from us at the shop. It was the owners. I'm happy you like it so far...just need less snow.
Yes, I am liking how the bike turned out, but don't have any real time on it as yet with every trail having a foot of snow it them. I did manage to get a ride, by riding to work, but that is about it. Even the road ride to work was fun with most side streets having two tracks down the middle with snow and ice on the sides.

After running a RP3 and RP23 on the past two frames I have come to like the option on the compression setting. The RP2 does offer the on/off setting but I would still like to have the RP23 with the three levels and the off setting.

Anything kicking around your shop in a 7.875 x 2.0 for a RP23.

Cheers

·
Registered
560 Posts
rideitall said:
Yes, I am liking how the bike turned out, but don't have any real time on it as yet with every trail having a foot of snow it them. I did manage to get a ride, by riding to work, but that is about it. Even the road ride to work was fun with most side streets having two tracks down the middle with snow and ice on the sides.

After running a RP3 and RP23 on the past two frames I have come to like the option on the compression setting. The RP2 does offer the on/off setting but I would still like to have the RP23 with the three levels and the off setting.

Anything kicking around your shop in a 7.875 x 2.0 for a RP23.

Cheers
Nothing kicking around right now. I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you know if anyone does some swapping and one ends up here. I'm sure in the heat of summer we'll end up with one. We usually sell all that stuff on Pink Bike in the fall. I'll keep in touch.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
How's the geometry feel with the Nixon on there?

I'm torn between the Reign and a Remedy right now, but if I get the Reign I'll definately be putting a Nixon Elite 160 on it...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mattsavage said:
How's the geometry feel with the Nixon on there?

I'm torn between the Reign and a Remedy right now, but if I get the Reign I'll definately be putting a Nixon Elite 160 on it...
I can't comment on the Remedy beyond hearing decent things about it, but yet to ride a new one with the ABP. I rode an older Remedy (possibly a Fuel) without the ABP, the bike was quite stiff and road okay, but nothing earth shattering. I am a believer of the Maestro and DW-Link offerings in terms of what they can provide. Given the choice between the two bikes I would likely go for the Reign.

For me the Reign with the 160mm travel is spot on. If you are going to a non travel adjust fork 160mm on the 2008 Reign is right in the sweet spot. If I had my way, given that my Nixon has IT, I would also fit the Real World Cycles headset externalizer and get an addition 15mm stack height. This would provide that slightly extra slack HA for the steep & techy downhill sections. The only problem is the steerer tube on my fork is not long enough.

That said, it still feels well balanced. I am patiently waiting for the trails to clear up to get some real riding done.

Will post updates once I get some more riding time.

cheers
J

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RP2 to RP23

I had previously tried an RP23 shock (7.5 x 2.0) that I had from a previous frame to see if it would work on the Reign (7.875 x 2.0) only to find out the front D hits the swing arm near end of compression, so I was looking to trade my RP23 for a proper size to fit the Reign.

However, I just spoke with one of the suspension gurus we have up here in Vancouver, BC that does work on Fox equipment, who said he can fix up my RP23 for me.

I believe it will involve swaping the bottom of the RP23 for another with the suitable length. At the same time he is going to revalve the RP23 to better match the bike. It will cost a little cash but it will still be cheaper than trying to locate another RP23 buy it, ship it, sell the old one ...

The existing RP2 on the Reign has the highest comp setting of 3 bars and the middle rebound setting of 2 bars. The RP23 is currently set in the middle for comp with 2 bars and 1 or the rebound.

I think the RP23 setup with the highest comp setting will work well on the Reign. Use comp-3 setting for fire road climbs, comp 2 or 1 for tech climbs and general trail riding and comp off setting for bombing down.

Still not sure if I will have the rebound changed from 1 to 2, hope to get a couple of rides on the RP2 to see how the rebound feels and go from there.

Anyone have any experience as to the difference the rebound setting makes on the RP2 or RP23. What is the comp and rebound settings on the Reign 0 with the RP23?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.