Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my new Nomad! I really love it! I am coming off a Transition Preston and the Nomad is just way better. It has 1.5" more travel yet weighs significantly less. And the suspension design is a lot more advanced. With the greater travel, I expected to lose a little climbing prowess, but the Nomad is better. The suspension allows it to track all the way up the hill and the front end doesn't want to come up the way all my previous bikes have. And downhill, everybody already knows how great it is. It just plows right over anything in its path! Anyway, just wanted to share! And I haven't seen any other photos of a small Nomad in the gangreen color.

Specs are:
Fork: 2008 Fox 36 Van RC2
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 Coil
Wheelset: King hubs (20 mm front, heavy-duty rear) Mavic 823 rims
Tires: Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 tubeless
Brakes: Formula Oro K24, 8" front and rear
Shifters: 07 XTR Rapidfire
Derailleurs: 07 XT
Chain: SRAM PC991
Bar: Answer Protaper
Stem: Thomson 70mm
Headset: King
Grips: ODI Ruffian
Bar end caps: Hope
Pedals: Wellgo Magnesium
Seatpost: Maverick Speedball
Saddle: Specialized Ariel ti
Crank/BB: Race Face Atlas

Weight: 35 lb.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Nice comments, like many of us you just discovered all the nice things about the Nomad, no front wheel wandering while climbing and great on descent.

Have fun. I like the gangreen, it's more special than my red one.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments so far! Heh heh, I'm glad the green is seen as "special", that's perfect. :)

Haven't gotten up to Galbraith with it yet (I just built it up yesterday) but that's mainly what I bought it for! It will be perfect up there. I have today off work and was going to go for a nice long ride with it today, but now it's snowing and I'm debating whether to go out. I can't wait to see more of what it's capable of!

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
nice ride!! congrats!

where did you get the Blackspire Lite God bash? and is that a 36T or 40T? they are hard to find these days.

also if you spin your bars 360 degrees, do all your controls (e.g. brakes/shifters) clear your TT?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Acadian,

I got my Blackspire Lite God up at Fanatik in Bellingham. They had one on the shelf, and I've never seen one in stock anywhere else so you must be right about them being hard to find. I love it, it's super light but seems to take a beating (I had it on my previous bike most of last year). I'm not sure how to answer your question about whether it's 36T or 40T since it doesn't actually have teeth :confused: but I just put it on in place of my standard 3rd chainring and now have a 32T and 22T chainring left on there. It works well for me since I'm kind of slow, and if I'm going faster than the 32T will allow, it means I'm going downhill and probably coasting :)

Yep, all my controls clear the TT no problem. And I used a 5 mm Chris King riser baseplate to make sure the fork knobs also clear the downtube. So no worries about damaged tubes if I crash.

·
Registered
455 Posts
LOVE that mean green.
I know you've not had it long, but what are your impressions of those Ignitor tyres in the Seattle winter mud? Have you ridden them before on other bikes? I'm in the UK, & I hear some good things about them.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Let us know how the first ride goes, curious to see what your impressions are. What type of frame were you riding before?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Franz. The Maxxis Ignitor tires were recommended to me as good winter tires, but I'm not very impressed with them in the mud. They pack up really easily. They are also pretty narrow for 2.3" tires. But on the plus side, they're great in drier conditions and they are reasonably light at 850g for the tubeless version. I think the Nevegals or similar tires with bigger knobs would be better for Seattle winters though.

Dirtbiker, I was riding a 2007 Transition Preston before. My impressions of the Nomad after 2 rides now (went for a snow ride today) are that it is a LOT better in the suspension department than any bike I've had before -- no bob at all, very active and plush, great climber and better descender. I've been able to get up a couple of steep climbs that I couldn't get up on my Preston, and things like rock gardens or small drops feel a lot better because the bike is very predictable and maintains traction everywhere. And if I screw up and brake too hard or put my weight in the wrong place, it kind of has a tendency to "save me" rather than make me dab or crash. I love it! I'm still getting used to the tallish feel and slack angles though. I can't wait to take it up to Galbraith (local freeridey-type area)!

·
Mountain Lion Bait
876 Posts
ARE THOSE MUDDY TIRES IN THE HOUSE???? hehe, just kidding. Nice bike for sure. How are you liking your seat post? I've been thinking about getting the one you have, but I'm not sure about having to reach down at speed to adjust it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks!

Renderedtoast, I really like the Speedball seatpost. I had never tried an adjustable seatpost until now, so I wasn't sure how it would work out but it's really nice to have! I got the non-remote version because I just didn't want another cable cluttering things up, and so far I have no regrets about that choice. It is a little inconvenient to reach under the seat if you're in a technical spot, but I think I'll get used to it. If you don't have an aversion to clutter, the remote version would probably be a little easier to use. One of the reasons I like the Speedball is that you can always add the remote cable later for like $40.

Anyway, it's great because I used to always run my seat height really high because of my knees and then it would limit me on drops and whatnot. Now I can just run it low for technical stuff, knowing that if I come to an uphill I can just raise it up again. So I am echoing everyone else in saying that now that I've tried an adjustable seatpost, I wouldn't go back. It's worth the price and you can usually get it below retail on ebay.

·
Mountain Lion Bait
876 Posts
Thanks for the info! Also, get a Lizard Skin on your chainstay or the chain is going to start grinding on the bottom forward part of your chainstay. Enjoy your nomad. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts