Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my Superfly for a month now and can't believe how much I love riding it. I haven't had a hardtail in years so I was very apprehensive to drop big $$ on a bike that I really hadn't had a chance to take on a dirt test ride. I still can't believe the value of this bike @ $3000!
t has to be the combination of the big wheels and carbon frame because this thing doesn't remind me of the constant kick in the pants feeling that I used to get on my old 26" aluminum hardtail (Kona Kula).

I've tweaked a few parts to my liking and to drop a bit more weight but still have a few things to change. I don't think it'll get much lighter unless Mavic comes out with their Crossmax SLR 29er next year. I'm far too heavy at 230 lbs to run any lightweight rims or lightweight spokes so I'll stick with this build for a while (although I may go back to the stock XO shifters/rear derailleur combo).

Anyways, this bike goes forward like no other except for a road bike. The bottom bracket is sooo stiff and it has more than acceptable torsional stiffness. I definitely feel the lag in acceleration compared to a 26" hardtail but it still doesn't get any better than this. I think the smoothness and amazing traction of the 29" wheels definitely outweigh the slight weight penalty.

Things I changed:
* Changed to Crossmark and Ignitor tires. Tubeless converted with Stan's.
* Swapped the funny backswept Bontrager bars to Race Face Next SL low rise
* Swapped to Race Face Deus stem to get a bit more reach
* Swapped to Thomson post because they're pretty much indestructible
* Swapped to Fizik Arione saddle because it agrees with my arse a bit more
* Swapped to XTR shifters, shadow rear derailleur and M960 front derailleur
* Swapped to Nokon cables
* Swapped to XTR crankset in 177.5mm

Things still to change:
* Change back to X.O shifters and rear derailleur. See how this works with the Nokon cables.
* Change to XTR cables from Nokon because the action is too light and not all tha precise
* Pop and 180mm crank on there since I've recently switched all of my bikes to 180mm and love it. The 177.5mm units will go back to my Trance X.

I'm looking forward to racing this beauty next year!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an Alligator 160mm from Price Point

I'm using the same one on the front now so I'm matching! They save a tiny bit of weight over the Avid's (10g) and add a bit of coolness to the bike. I've found the braking performance to be top notch even through some of the really long downhills up here in B.C..

·
Registered
184 Posts
if your in B.C. do the DH!!!! Oh and take the spacer out of that front fork. I know it has more travel than that! I did it to my 9er and it made a world of difference for me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right, it is set at 80mm right now but I don't think I want to slacken the seat and head angles any more than they already are. So far I haven't hadn't had any problems descending the steeper XC trails because of the big wheels and great traction.

I bought this to be a hard charging XC race bike. I'll definitely try 100mm or maybe rig it up to be 90mm but it feels great the way it is.
I have a Giant Trance X and an SC Nomad too so this fits in my bike lineup very well.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
eurorider said:
Sweet bike...

I also run 180 mm cranks and am wondering what the BB drop measurement is. I believe the Fisher site only lists BB height, which is pretty meaningless to me.
Take the height of the axle and subtract the height of the BB and you have the drop.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey Bog, nice bike!

How much do you weigh? I'm a little scared of Fishers because they don't use size-specific tubing. For the alloy bikes it doesn't seem to be a problem but it would make me think twice about carbon, especially on a frame as light as the Superfly.

That all being said it looks like an awesome bike. Can you give us a ride report to confirm (awesomeness) or deny (my issues with frame stiffness)?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sitting at 230 right now and on a downward roll. I'm carrying about 20 extra pounds before I get back to race weight. Being 6'5" tall I think I'll be good to get back to 210-215 lbs.

I wouldn't worry about size specific tubing on a bike like this. Quite honestly, it doesn't get any stiffer. The stays are really beefy, the downtube is full bb width at the bottom and the headtube is beefier on the larger sizes. If anything it'll be a bit harsh in the smaller sizes! From the size of the tubing I knew I was in for a hell of a ride when looking at the bb and stays and the lateral stiffness in the front triangle is fantastic compared to any other xcish bike I've ridden - this is what surprised me. The only bikes I've had that are stiffer laterally are my Nomad and my old VPFree and that's hardly a fair comparison.

My climbing has gotten far better on this bike even on technical climbs with lots of startsadn stops. This bike rockets up hills! My riding buddies have notices how much faster I am on the climbs and singletrack.

My descending had taken a bit of a hit compared to an FS bike but that's to be expected. You'd also be surprised how fast you can go downhill on this baby. The carbon dampens the vibrations very nicely and the big wheels let you rip through the corners. Stutter bumps still get me because I'm not totally used to a hardtail again and the fork is only 80mm but I can't complain about that when I'm faster in any uphill and in any singletrack. I'm a stand and hammer type of rider and I can't be happier with this frame. I'm even quite impressed with the Bonty Race X Lite wheels. They're not quite as stiff as something like a Crossmax wheelset but more than adequate. That being said, I'm not an equipment breaker or a wheel bender. I guess growing up on hardtails and having a thirst for lighter parts has taught me to be a bit easier on my equipment.

It's funny, this bike must be made in the same factory as my 2007 Lemond Zurich (carbon also) because they ride like road/mtb versions of each other. The tube shapes are very similar, they use the same sort of stainless steel chain protectors on the downtube and chainstays and they both come with the same hardware package.

I was skeptical, even a bit scared to get this bike because I haven't ridden a hardtail in a long time but I couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Schmucker said:
Take the height of the axle and subtract the height of the BB and you have the drop.
Yeah, easy enough calculation if I had a specimen on hand...

Based on the fork length that Trek used to provide the head and seat tube angles, they should also be able to state the BB drop measurement... none of this BB height junk, that's dependent on the tire sizes and air pressures.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good eye!

RacerX.29 said:
What's with the different grips?
I got a set of the ESI racer grips to try out. They're approx 50g lighter than any others that I have (ODI lock-ons or the WTB shown in the pictures). I found the ODI/Race Face lock-ons a bit harsh feeling combined with such a short travel fork so I swapped to the WTBs to get a bit more cushioning without sacrificing any weight (both weigh around 110g). I did a search for light grips that weren't the foamies that some companies sell and found the ESI silicone grips. They're nice and light, haven't slipped yet unlike the crappy Bonty's that came with the bike and it seemed like a good way to save the 50g. I'm still deciding which I like better. I might put the WTB's on for the winter because they have more grip then put the ESI's back on for the spring/summer race season.

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
I can't imagine anyone your size buying a 26er after looking at your XL 29er. At first glance it looks like a 26er because of the seat height. Great looking ride! They are extraordinary bikes and I'm still enjoying everything about mine. The steering is a little slow while climbing but it's worth the trade off in every other area. Mine feels like a road bike on steroids to me and others have stated that it weighs about the same at under 20 lbs. :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally feel like I'm riding an adult's bike! I've had quite a few people ask me if I was riding on 24" wheels on my 26" bikes. Especially with all of the small rear triangle FS bikes. Next up: 29er fully?

Got any pics of yours? Under 20 lbs - wow!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts