Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bleecker St. Homeless
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After tons of research and wait, here is my new girl, a 08 Bullit.
My target was a to-do-everything bike.. DH, FR, XC, whatever, a bike that would respond to everything I wanna do, it doesn't matter where or how.

I have just assembled it; notice that the der cables still long - they weren't cut yet - and the bike is dirty of grease and loctite in wrong places.

I made a little ride in the neighborhood, a real trail will only be possible next weekend. Anyway... it feels great! The comfort and stability are awesome and, for my surprise, due to its 180mm rear travel, it reveals as being a great climber.... hard to believe... thanks to its geometry and propedal fox shocks, I think. The bullit is a surreal, magic bike.:thumbsup:

Frame Santa Cruz Bullit L White 2008 w/ Fox DHX5 Coil
Fork Marzocchi 66 SL 2006
Post Thomson Elite Black 410mm 30.9
Saddle Specialized
Grips ODI Rogue Lockon
Stem Thomson X4 50mm 31.8
Bar Easton Monkeylite DH 31.8
Headset Cane Creek Double Xc
Cranks Truvativ Holzfeller 2.2 RockGuard 36-24
BB Truvativ Howitzer Team 68/73 - 50mm chainline
Shifters SRAM X9 2007
Front Der Shimano XT 2008
Rear der SRAM X9
Cassete SRAM PG-950 Cassette 11-34
Chain XTR/Dura-ace
Brakes Avid Code 5
Hubs Sun Ringle Abbah 32h
Rims Mavic XM321 32h
Tires Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E Kevlar

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice Bullit but what's with all the spacers??

Nice bike but what's with all of the spacers under the stem? Do you really need this much height? My rule of thumb has always been 5-10mm spacers MAX under the stem.

Just curious...

Also, what's this beast weigh? I am guessing 38lbs....

·
Bleecker St. Homeless
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks white and jazz boys :thumbsup:

scruzer_98 said:
Nice bike but what's with all of the spacers under the stem? Do you really need this much height? My rule of thumb has always been 5-10mm spacers MAX under the stem.

Just curious...

Also, what's this beast weigh? I am guessing 38lbs....
Tks... I'm 6.3 tall guy with long torso but, in comparison, not so long arms and legs... a higher front gives me a comfy positioning.
I don't know its weight yet... but should be around that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nice build mate and welcome to the Brotherhood! Ive had my Bullit for ten months now and totally love it. Looks like you have the 135mm rear end on it? i recommend the 150mm with floating brake, it really supes up the bike and makes it so much better.
Also id recommend getting new shock bolts as the Bullit seems to come with bolts that have too much thread on 'em and the thread wears out the aluminium bushing of the shock.
I think the 150mm rear end is stiffer too, from what ive heard.
Other than that well done on a sweet ride, although your really pushin it with the 11/8 steerer and collection of spacers:rolleyes:
BTW on that note, your set up is kinda odd, what type of riding will you be doing?

·
Bleecker St. Homeless
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tks Pete.

CHUNKY NUGGET said:
Nice build mate and welcome to the Brotherhood! Ive had my Bullit for ten months now and totally love it. Looks like you have the 135mm rear end on it? i recommend the 150mm with floating brake, it really supes up the bike and makes it so much better.
Also id recommend getting new shock bolts as the Bullit seems to come with bolts that have too much thread on 'em and the thread wears out the aluminium bushing of the shock.
I think the 150mm rear end is stiffer too, from what ive heard.
Other than that well done on a sweet ride, although your really pushin it with the 11/8 steerer and collection of spacers:rolleyes:
BTW on that note, your set up is kinda odd, what type of riding will you be doing?
Tks CN and sorry the delay...
In this set up I was looking for a strong trail bike... I think 150mm dropouts would be too much. But I'm in the "test zone", getting used to her... something can change in the future, as the spacers and dropouts...:D

·
Registered
582 Posts
SYNTRAX said:
Tks Pete.

Tks CN and sorry the delay...
In this set up I was looking for a strong trail bike... I think 150mm dropouts would be too much. But I'm in the "test zone", getting used to her... something can change in the future, as the spacers and dropouts...:D
To be honest SYNTRAX i dont think the 150mm dropouts are too much on the Bullit, reason being its one of the tidiest 150mm dropouts ive seen and probably not much heavier if at all than standard QR dropouts. The extra weight is in the hub but that all depends on hubs?
But hey different strokes for different folks and i know what its like to want to keep it lite:thumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice ride I love to see the new bullits coming out. Chunkys right their is a whole post on the rear shox bolts. Change them out. Youll see how mine were only after 6mo of use.
I changed out the heavy 2.5 kendas that came on the bike for a lighter 2.3 tire. Saved 4lbs total. Each kenda was 3.4lb the new 2.3s were 1.1lb each. Sounds like youll be doing all types of riding (up and down trails like me) and you may not need the heavy duty kenda tire unless your taking the chair lift upall day. My favorite!!!!! I havent had any real problems with the slightly smaller tires.
The 150 rear is nice and stiff. Im glad I went with it. The bike feels so solid going down over and off thing. The thur axel is a very light alluminum and cant weigh much more than the qr. I did get a flat in the rear last weekend, something to think about and as long as you have the correct allen wrench with you. (and I always do) getting the wheel off and changing the tire is no problem. It would be nice to see the axel system on the rear similar to the new 20mm quick release systems you now see on front shoxs.
Other than the shox bolts and having to put the correct rear dhx spring on the bike is a dream to ride up and down trails. I have mine at about 33lbs.
Oh ya how do you like the cool high end SC stickers they use on the frame?!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Sick build, but the spacers make me paranoid. I've seen, not experienced it myself, steerer tubes that are too long between the headset and stem snap. I'm guessing it should be fine though, if you're not too aggressive in your riding style.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.