Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My name is Greg, and I hate 29r's

3K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  geolover 
#1 ·
(rant on)

Today I rode my cannondale flash again for the fifth and final time. I have come to the conclusion that 29r's aren't for me. I can honestly say that I hate them. They really have no place with my riding style or do they benifit me at all.

I read an article a few months back (during butt-cold winter) that summed it up pretty well. "if you're riding consists of alot of JRA type trails a 29'r is great"

I never "just ride along" I need a bike that is alive Something that I really feal on a 26" bike is a lively fealing. Like the bike wants to go, not just poke down the trails and roll over everything but a bike that wants to take that bump or root and either smash it into the ground or make a lip or berm out of it.

I'm pissed that I wasted a morning ride on that damn thing. Should have taken the EG and had fun.

(rant off)

#3 ·
terrible said:
(rant on)

Today I rode my cannondale flash again for the fifth and final time. I have come to the conclusion that 29r's aren't for me. I can honestly say that I hate them. They really have no place with my riding style or do they benifit me at all.

I read an article a few months back (during butt-cold winter) that summed it up pretty well. "if you're riding consists of alot of JRA type trails a 29'r is great"

I never "just ride along" I need a bike that is alive Something that I really feal on a 26" bike is a lively fealing. Like the bike wants to go, not just poke down the trails and roll over everything but a bike that wants to take that bump or root and either smash it into the ground or make a lip or berm out of it.

I'm pissed that I wasted a morning ride on that damn thing. Should have taken the EG and had fun.

(rant off)
Not all 29ers are the same silly.

29ers hadn't really interested me up until recently. Still, there are VERY few that I would consider to purchase. The one I did purchase is as fun as any bicycle that I have ever ridden...not life changing, but definitely fun.

You certainly have the right to your opinion, although I would argue that you haven't ridden a 29er with nice "lively" handling. Maybe you're just upset because you make rash and uneducated purchases? ;)

#5 ·
Maybe you're just upset because you make rash and uneducated purchases?
Nah, not really rash and not really a purchase. I work in the shop so my stuff is at cost. The cannondale was the only thing that really caught my eye. I figured, "I'll try a lefty and a 29'r AT THE SAME TIME!! (two birds, one stone thing)

My wife just bought a niner rip9 and we are working the kinks out with it as we speak. She likes it so far but feals similar to me. She says that the bike makes her feal lazy, like it just doesn't want to lift a tire or doing anything quickly.

I'm sure there are places for them, but not under me.

(btw, I did like the lefty but the lack of adjustments on the "cheap 700$ model" left me wanting more) HA , left me.....

#6 ·
Swapped and rode my buddies hardtail 29er for the first time last week. I took it up the rocky parts w/o unweighting it one bit. Actually, gave it all the weight I could and it rolled over some parts pretty well.

The rear wheel didn't feel like it was gonna hang for too long, slamming it around like that on the way up. Maybe with bigger tires. Took my EG back for the way down

#7 ·
terrible said:
My wife just bought a niner rip9 and we are working the kinks out with it as we speak. She likes it so far but feals similar to me. She says that the bike makes her feal lazy, like it just doesn't want to lift a tire or doing anything quickly.
The Rip9 is not one I would consider purchasing if I were looking for a "lively" bike either. You are now 0 for 2. Sure, maybe not rash, but looks uneducated to me. :p YMMV.

#9 ·
The Rip9 is not one I would consider purchasing if I were looking for a "lively" bike either. You are now 0 for 2. Sure, maybe not rash, but looks uneducated to me. YMMV.
THe boss's wife had a rip. I messed with it for a few minutes one night on the trails. If anything I called the bike twitchy. I figured with some tuning I could get it close to the current 08 stumpy my wife is on. I could be wrong though (it has happened before )

#12 ·
It really depends on the bike. I have test ridden a Rockstar on some pretty chunky trails out in grand junction/ Fruita. I had plenty of fun on that bike. In the end I got a deal on a demo Pivot Mach 429, so that is what I have now. Yes I did get to test that out west too.

I would really have no problems with either bike.

I do realize that 29ers are not for everyone, so in the end ride what makes you happy.

#15 ·
The rolling over everything of 29er is great except when you are not rolling and try to pull some of the crazier moves like on a regular 26er...at least that's what it feels like for me.
So recently I tried to combine the best of both world... get some really fat rubbers on 26 rims that makes it almost 29er circumference wise.... guess its not everyone's cuppa but its the next best thing to the EG for me...

#19 ·
Lefty! Now why didnt I think of that... but

DaGoat said:
Put a Lefty on that Pugsley and you'll be rockin!!! :thumbsup:

Wow, and I just noticed.... is that a FettSet you have on that thing?
Nah just a regular headset from Nukeproof. clearer pic here https://picasaweb.google.com/KohDennis/Pugsley#5583536447676072994

Im pretty happy with the rigid but did thought of the Maverick SC32-- about the ony fork on the market that will give the Pugs some boink. Doubt anyone is making a 135mm hub for the lefty ;(

#23 ·
So, the hardtail didn't flow as well or seem as fun to pop off of stuff as your full suspension bike ? You, my friend, must have stayed at a holiday inn express last night. We better alert nasa about this amazing discovery
In the past the hardtails I've had (97 schwinn homegrown, 99 caloi expert) have been able to pop off of things much better than the cannondale did.

Don't be a jerk and assume the only thing I've ever ridden is my EG and the c'dale.

#25 ·
#26 ·
terrible said:
(rant on)

(rant off)
Thank God you posted this. It totally made it worth my trip to mtbr.com this morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.