Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previously I have posted pics of the Muskoka Trails near my home, most notably Torrance Barrens, Buckwallow, BRMC, Old Stone Rd, Devil's Gap, and Hahne Farm/Cornell Lake. The trail photos can be found by doing a search for BlackCanoeDog posts that have (pics) in the title. Or by searching by the trail names. Those are mostly weekend rides, but I also like to ride to and from work a few times a week. This is a 30K round trip, and today I had the P&S camera in my pocket. So I thought it might be nice to document the commute from leaving the job to home. Riding SE would take me past Buckwallow and I can jump onto their trails. However since I spend so much weekend time at Buckwallow already, I typically ride SW and do the following route. Gotta love the lush green colours and all the little wild flowers in June!

·
Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
As always, taunting me with the lifestyle I really want. You are a really bad man......

Always great to see your photos!

Will be up there later in July with family and bike.

·
Is it winter yet?
255 Posts
BCD, my family share a cottage just south of Huntsville in Port Sydney on Mary Lake. Our daughter is 12 months old now, and in our quest to be yuppies, she has a nice Chariot (with suspension no less) that I've been using as a jogging stroller.

We have a helmet for the little one now, but I'd love to take her on some light trails behind my bike. Maybe have mom tag along on another bike.

I'm familiar with Buckwallow, and I suppose I could tool around the doubletrack with my daughter. Porcupine Ridge is right out, but those are the only two places I've ridden.

I don't want to ride with her on a road at all, or do any singletrack or anything too bumpy. She loves to be tossed around and I bounce her in the jogger all the time, but nothing more aggressive than that.

Do you have any suggestions for good, gentle scenic trails that stay wide enough for a bike trailer? The barrens look like they might work. The pics above are gorgeous, but can the roads be avoided?

Thanks.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Chansen, I suggest you ride the BRMC trails (Bracebridge Resources Management Centre). Its very close to Port Sydney (you drive right by it on the way there) and there is double and single track. The single track is also wide enough imo and very pretty along the river. Nothing technical but very flowing with a few good climbs. If you need to get off the single track there are lots of options to join back to double. About 17 K if you ride everything. Here are pics from last summer.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=323489

Torrance Barrens has some very technical riding in sections, not at all suitable for a trailer imo. Also the deer flys will be a bother there soon if not already. We mostly avoid riding there from July to mid August. Its also a bit of a drive from Port Sydney.

Most Buckwallow double track would be good as you already know.
The trails in this commute thread would also be good, but belong to Taboo Resort.
I'm not sure about their public access policy. Its close to my home and I can easily pop on and off their trails and I doubt they even notice. In fact I see more wild life than people when I go through their trails( usually week day, late afternoon).

·
Is it winter yet?
255 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be riding the BRMC trails with my wife and daughter, and Buckwallow with my cousin this weekend, starting Sunday and into Monday and Tuesday. I'm also up every other weekend or so over the summer. If you wanna ride, let me know.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stosh (Canada) said:
.. looking forward to the 2nd annual early fall Barrens ride. :)
Hi Stosh, yes we want to do that again for sure:thumbsup: Biff Pedachenko is talking about doing it as a fundraising event for the Seeing-Eye-Dog Foundation. Don't know any more than that for now except it will probably be a week later than last year because of another event conflict. Anyone who doesn't know what Stosh is talking about, can look here...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=337097&highlight=barrens+group+ride

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.