Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frame- Blue Moment Medium
Rear Shock: Fox DHX Air
Front Shock: Fox 36RC 2007
Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbons
Headset: Chris king (Black)
Bar and Stem: Easton currently may change to Thompson stem
Grips: lock on- no idea which is best, any suggestions
Shifters: SRAM X9 2007
Front Mech: Shimano XTR
Rear Mech: SRAM X.9
Crank: Shimano XTR 2006(04) or 2007 depends on budget... any other suggestions welcome. not going to go Truvativ
Wheels: Chris King hubs (black) on Sun Single Track with DT spokes.
Tires: No idea .. Kenda Nevagel.
Seat post: Thompson
Saddle: SDG Bel-Air Ti Rails
Pedals: Crank Brothers Mallets
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
alfred.bailey said:
Frame- Blue Moment Medium
Rear Shock: Fox DHX Air
Front Shock: Fox 36RC 2007
Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbons
Headset: Chris king (Black)
Bar and Stem: Easton currently may change to Thompson stem
Grips: lock on- no idea which is best, any suggestions
Shifters: SRAM X9 2007
Front Mech: Shimano XTR
Rear Mech: SRAM X.9
Crank: Shimano XTR 2006(04) or 2007 depends on budget... any other suggestions welcome. not going to go Truvativ
Wheels: Chris King hubs (black) on Sun Single Track with DT spokes.
Tires: No idea .. Kenda Nevagel.
Seat post: Thompson
Saddle: SDG Bel-Air Ti Rails
Pedals: Crank Brothers Mallets
great build....i can only offer a humble opinion

* magura louise FR best brakes I ever had. Juicy's nice, but carbon levers would not be my choice on a manly man bike like this....not to mention, cost.

* I would go with Thomson stem, but Easton fine

* Lock-on good idea. Best is to subjective. I prefer the Rogue myself though.

* XTR cranks so much coin....and especially when it comes to replacing ring. but very good of course. Atlas a nice cheaper alternative, but will add weight. XT may be a better choice than XTR since not much is given up over XTR at all anyway.

* I like 5.1d DT Swiss rims. Excellent weight/strength ratio. Has great tubeless conversion kit. More money but rims are not to omuch money to begin with.

* I have seen too many broken Mallet axle reports lately. I would go elsewhere myself.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
alfred.bailey said:
Hey thanks for the reply, what peddles would you suggest.

What are you riding at the mo,
like saddles....that is personal preference. since i have shimano on all my bikes that is what i use (ie, too costly to switch all of them over to another brand).

starting from scratch, i would go with the Time Z pedals personally. but if you have a preference in terms of clipping mechanism play it safe and stick with it.

the turner forum had the reference to several broken mallets that i referred to.
 

·
Unchained Freewheel
Joined
·
283 Posts
Ditch the Carbons and go with Formlua Oro Puros instead if you want bling but better performance,or the K24's,If you insist on Avids go juicy 7 instead,exactly the same performance,but cheaper.For cranks go Race Face.
 

·
Time is not a road.
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
I've been rocking a Dues crank for over two years now. Good stuff. The Atlas will be a little more stout though for a more FR oriented feel. There's also the Diabolus if you're really gonna huck it. I think bang for you buck, XT is the best XC/Trail crankset out there. Locking the crankarm on the non-drive side is a superior system and I've read that set-up is easier than Race Face. I think FSA has a set up like this. A recent MBR mag gave it a 10.
 

·
Custom User Title
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
yea what they said. The CB pedals are weak sauce. I hit a small root and bent the spindle of a candy. Not replaceable. Now I need to by another pair.

I tried these on a whim and now I want to go back to the times.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
coldsteele said:
yea what they said. The CB pedals are weak sauce. I hit a small root and bent the spindle of a candy. Not replaceable. Now I need to by another pair.

I tried these on a whim and now I want to go back to the times.
in this thread alone, at least 3 guys complain of them braking. in fairness, all things break but nevertheless, I will not try em.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=210487&highlight=mallet
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,678 Posts
question? Id/Moment

alfred.bailey said:
Frame- Blue Moment Medium
Rear Shock: Fox DHX Air
Front Shock: Fox 36RC 2007
Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbons
Headset: Chris king (Black)
Bar and Stem: Easton currently may change to Thompson stem
Grips: lock on- no idea which is best, any suggestions
Shifters: SRAM X9 2007
Front Mech: Shimano XTR
Rear Mech: SRAM X.9
Crank: Shimano XTR 2006(04) or 2007 depends on budget... any other suggestions welcome. not going to go Truvativ
Wheels: Chris King hubs (black) on Sun Single Track with DT spokes.
Tires: No idea .. Kenda Nevagel.
Seat post: Thompson
Saddle: SDG Bel-Air Ti Rails
Pedals: Crank Brothers Mallets
not sure that this applies to the Moment, but I will be replacing my XT FD with a Sram X-gen on my Id shortly...that chain guide rattle when in 2-7 right through the granny gears is beginning to drive me nuts...the X-gen has a longer chain guide which eliminates this, as per Ellsworth

On tires though, having used both Kenda Nevegals 2.1 and Kenda Karma Pro Stickees 2.0...I'm sticking with the Karmas...the best rolling tires for the hard pack forest we ride up here...better for mud because of their lower profile, corner and climb as good as the Nevegals as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
If it makes you feel better I've got 4 sets of crank brothers pedals (2 mallets, 2 candies) all still going strong with regular greasing and rebuilds. Your LBS should be able to order you a replacement spindle for the candy, I am thinking of switching to TI spindles for my road bike. They're not perfect, but I don't think they are something I'd shy away from either. At 150lb, I haven't bent a spindle, but maybe that's just me, knock on wood :)

I like your build, except for the Juicys. Every pair I used, or friend who's had a recent pair has had turkey gobble. It's far worse than any squeal in my book. Another vote for the XT cranks. I probably would go XT FD as well, because I don't think there is noticable benefit to the XTR version. (Edit: I think the Moment isn't as bad as the ID with Shimano FD because the BB is lower, but I could be wrong) If you can swing it, I'd go X.O, but I guess the 2007 X9 shifters are going to have some of those good points. Seperate clamp, instant upshifts, etc... What about Sun S.O.S. rims? lighter than the Singletracks and more like a 5.1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
If you want the XTR crank Jenson USA has them for $299 right now! That's hard to beat for XTR cranks.

The only thing that I don't like about the XTR is the spider patter, I don't know if anyone makes a bashring to fit it and Shimano XTR replacement rings are major bucks if there are no aftermarket replacements.

The XT spider pattern is very easy to find stuff for and it's a great crank with just a bit more weight than XTR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with you on the Karmas to put on a Moment. The Karma is a XC racing tire with very shallow treads and I don't think it's suitable for AM riding the Moment is intended for. The Karma also runs kinda small for the size. The Nevegal hooks up and corners much better in AM conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Tarbaby4Ever said:
Ditch the Carbons and go with Formlua Oro Puros instead if you want bling but better performance,or the K24's,If you insist on Avids go juicy 7 instead,exactly the same performance,but cheaper.For cranks go Race Face.
I'm currently riding the juicy carbons, but I do love the Formula Oros too - my buddy is riding them. If I were doing it again, I'd go with the Oro's - but thats just on bling alone, performance wise, i have no reason to go away from my juicies. basically, a WIn/Win situation.
 

·
Time is not a road.
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
I think the Cortez is like the Karma "bubba" tire, if you're looking for size. I'd have to say, best overall tire I've ridden is the Nevegal DTC 2.35 converted to tubeless. The Schwalbe Big Bettys have better corner grip though...

I been riding my CB Mallets for two years now with no problems (I suppose I should service them soon!). I bashed them a few times, too. The higher BB of the Moment keeps me out of trouble in that regard.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,678 Posts
ahimanic said:
I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with you on the Karmas to put on a Moment. The Karma is a XC racing tire with very shallow treads and I don't think it's suitable for AM riding the Moment is intended for. The Karma also runs kinda small for the size. The Nevegal hooks up and corners much better in AM conditions.
i guess that it depends on the terrain...so much for armchair advice

We ride mostly on the south end of Georgian Bay, on trails in the eliptical dune section on the east side...hardpacked sandy forest with some clay sections...I found that I have to work a lot harder and am clocking 5% slower with the Nevegals...same thing with the wife's Blur

but then the Karma's do well on the west side as well...clay, limestone, with rock gardens, bridges, and roots...very muddy and slimy when wet
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
ahimanic said:
If you want the XTR crank Jenson USA has them for $299 right now! That's hard to beat for XTR cranks.

The only thing that I don't like about the XTR is the spider patter, I don't know if anyone makes a bashring to fit it and Shimano XTR replacement rings are major bucks if there are no aftermarket replacements.

The XT spider pattern is very easy to find stuff for and it's a great crank with just a bit more weight than XTR.
there are XTR M960 replacement ring options. A fantastic UK company makes em. The US distributor is here and the chainring set is only $139 as you can see. https://www.mtbtandems.com/Middleburn.html

Another option is the Blackspire Super Pro XTR replacement rings.....about $110 for the set.

As for bashguards, Blackspire makes on that will fit XTR stuff and will fit the outer ring.



Heim also makes one that will work I believe to cover the outer ring.

and of course there is always the $$ Boone XTR bash
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
JM01 said:
i guess that it depends on the terrain...so much for armchair advice

We ride mostly on the south end of Georgian Bay, on trails in the eliptical dune section on the east side...hardpacked sandy forest with some clay sections...I found that I have to work a lot harder and am clocking 5% slower with the Nevegals...same thing with the wife's Blur

but then the Karma's do well on the west side as well...clay, limestone, with rock gardens, bridges, and roots...very muddy and slimy when wet
I have run both Karma and Cortez 2.4.....both great tires. The Karma DTC 2.1s were one fast mofo of a tire. However, on another bike where i wanted large volume, relatively low weight, yet still fast rolling, the Kenda Cortez 2.4 was my tire of choice.
 

·
Unchained Freewheel
Joined
·
283 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
The build looks great. I'm riding a joker and I've used the mallet c pedals and have found that they are weak in the spindle. Also, if you are going to go with a set of raceface diabolus or evolve dh cranks, be sure you check the drive side crankarm regularly. I have had problems with both of them wanting to back out. Lock tite them and you will be okay. I now have a new set of truvativ cranks with the howitzer bb. they have held up great.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top