Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my Rockhopper mounted by the front tire up against a wall. A while ago, I noticed a "puddle" of sorts, underneath the right side of the fork.

Anyway, short story shorter, the bike shop replaced the rebound assembly, and said it probably shouldn't leak anymore, but it's possible that it might, due to the type of shock it is.

I have noticed it collecting oil in the same place as before, and it will drip eventually. Is there anything I can do while keeping the bike mounted how it is? I'm very strapped for space in my small apartment, and I don't know how else I can fix this problem. I don't just want to let it leak, but I can't really keep it with both wheels on the ground.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Thanks for any help,
Plink

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Plinkerton said:
I keep my Rockhopper mounted by the front tire up against a wall. A while ago, I noticed a "puddle" of sorts, underneath the right side of the fork.

Anyway, short story shorter, the bike shop replaced the rebound assembly, and said it probably shouldn't leak anymore, but it's possible that it might, due to the type of shock it is.

I have noticed it collecting oil in the same place as before, and it will drip eventually. Is there anything I can do while keeping the bike mounted how it is? I'm very strapped for space in my small apartment, and I don't know how else I can fix this problem. I don't just want to let it leak, but I can't really keep it with both wheels on the ground.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Thanks for any help,
Plink
It's a problem with the fork. It should not leak no matter which way you put it...

I would look into getting some sort of 'warranty' replacement:)

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I think this particular fork has a problem. I'm pretty sure mine leaked all over the place last time I had it in the shop. They store their bikes upside-down once they've finished working on them. I had it in the shop for an adjustment to the front rotor, and when I got it home there was this sticky stuff all over the front of the bike. I couldn't get the cap off the right leg to check the oil level, and I have a squeaking in the front end somewhere which may very well be the fork. I'll be taking it back to the shop for a check up this weekend.

BTW, for comparison purposes, mine is the OEM version with no lockout that came stock on my bike.

- Jen.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This Manitou Splice is the one that came on the Rockhopper. When I mentioned it to the guy in the store, before I even brought my bike in, he said sometimes they will do that. In the end, as I mentioned, they replaced the rebound assembly, and they also said that the dampening adjustment cap was too lose, and that was allowing the shock to bottom out, which caused it to leak.

They tightened the cap. It's definitely leaking less, and so far, hasn't really leaked at all, but I did see a drip starting to form.

I hate to think that I'd have to bring this back to them, after they just fixed it. It doesn't cost me anything, but I don't want to be a pain. Though, if ithere is something wrong with it, I guess I'll have to do that anyway.

Thanks again,
Plink

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Take out the top caps, wrap some plumbers tape around the threads and torque it back up. That should help a bit. Neanderthal fixes for bikes. :D As long as it works. If it's coming out from the seals around the stanchions, look into a pair of Enduro wipers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.