Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long wait for a Large Mamastia to come in, I finally got mine back in late June (thanks Salsa!) So I thought I'd share the final.

I've had it built up for about a month or so now. Put some nice miles on it and have it about 99% dialed in. Just need to get my fork's steering tube cut down now and some swank bottle cages for pimp factor (which are on the way).

Ergon grips are the latest update. I had regular grips on, but my hands longed for the Ergon's (Which I have on my Dos Niner). The Reba is set to 100mm, which is my personal pref. Some may not like the way the bike handles at 100mm, I find it fine and appreciate the added cush over a long enduro race or ride. I run it pretty soft at 100+/110- (I weigh 175 buck naked, freshly shaved, starved and dehydrated)

Wheels are a build of Bontrager Mustang hoops laced to Hope Pro II hubs (with tubes). Drive is SRAM X9/XT crank, and brakes are Hope Mono Minis. Tires are Panaracer/IRD Fire Pros. I have a heavier back up wheel set XT/Salsa Delgados that Mamasita sees occasionally too. A variety of other Salsa, Fizik, and Ritchey tid-bits round it out.

Not sure of weight, my guess would be about 26/27 lb.? Not built up light weight, but I like to error on the side of durable rather than light weight. I know some folks who have built their's up with carbon ridged fork/Stans wheels for some scary light build weights.

Oh well, just thought I'd share. Like to see some other builds too.

Attachments

·
Don't be that guy.
29 Posts
You may be the perfect guy to ask this question. I enjoy long distance racing, 24hr ect. and I'm considering a new 29er frame and Salsa is on the list. How dose the ride of the Dos Niner and the Mamasita compare? My concern is a hard tail will beat me to death. My Fisher 29er hardtial is stiff in fact too stiff for 24hrs. Currently I'm racing a single speed (NRS conversion) and will the new frame will be built up as a single too.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go Dos

While the Mamasita DOES dull some trail chatter due to the carbon stays working in combo with the 29" wheels, it's just not as comfy as the Dos Niner over a real long Solo effort.

I can't say enough about the Dos Niner for multi hour races like a 6, 12, or 24 hour solo. I plan to use the Mamastia at this coming weekend's Wildersness 101, due to the insane amounts of forest road climbing.

The Mamasita is a quick handling race bike. Both are excellent choices. But if you see yourself doing more 24 hour type events, I would tend to lean towards the Dos Niner. The 1" of travel does just enough to help when you start to get tired and lends a hand climbing more technical trails without the weight penalty of a FS or any of the potential maintenance issues.

My personal plan is to use the Mamasita for events like marathons that have more road than trail and the Dos Niner for multi lap, solo races. That's just me though, everyone has their pref.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Great looking bike and well chosen build. I likey. What bars are you using? Salsa Pro Moto would be my choice. Cheers...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts