Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello in my opinion since i can not afford Carbon rovals i think my bike weight at 11.4 KG i rather light for a FS bike

Now i will change pedal and brakes XTR M987 and XTR pedals i might keep the SL STORM rotors if they can be combined with Shimano Otherwise i will have to buy the somewhat heavy XT ice tech rotors

so how much lighter will it get with these upgrades and tube less S-Works GC 2.1´s?

·
ACHOO
4,453 Posts
The lightest Epics out there (29er) can hit the 9.5 kg (21 lb) range, so you are certainly getting closer. The wheelset can really help, so maybe a used one might be an option at that point for a bit less cash.

There's no reason why you couldn't combine rotors from manufacturer with brakes from another, so you should be fine.

I can't answer the other questions since I don't know what you have now, but tubeless will help shed a bit of weight, but also allow more options in terms of pressure, i.e., lower.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there
i have the tubes and tires it came with on right now.
so i will probably keep the sl strom rotors they are a bit lighter than the 6 bolt XT ice tech rotors.
is there really a low rider weight limit for the XTR M987?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried to find some info about the S-works Ground Control Weight when used with stans fluid, can´t find anything though but i do know the the tubes from Specialized in the red box 29" weigh 150g/each that makes 300g/pair and adding on the weight of the tires 1140G/pair well tubeless saves some of that 300g don´t now if tubes should be weighed with no air in them?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well i have never heard that there was a rider weight limit on a brake system for MTB´s so i guess i read wrong.

He thing i am thinking is shall i keep the bar ends and the grips or take the bar ends off and buy lighter grips, kind of feels silly chasing 10g here 2g there but bar ends,end plugs for them is 100+g grips 139g/pair=239g
might be worth to test lighter grips and no bar ends :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think if i loose the "horns" and end plugs also the BG contour grips, put on the XTR SPD M980´s XTR M987 brakes and put on the original grips, loose the tubes and perhaps go tubeless on the fast tracks i might get the bike under 11KG :D

what do you think ?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If i am right and the 2013 Epic Expert Carbon weighs 26lbs 11.7kg
i have dropped the weight with almost a half KILO!!! that´s not bad considering i have the original rims, aluminum seat stay i am considering removing the bar ends and grips and put on the ones that came with bike, and replacing the PG-1050 cassette with XTR casette and KMC X10sl chain loosing a few grams or not so few almost another 400grams and if i go tubeless/turbo tubes i might loose even more.
So hoping for some extra cash for that XTR cassette Sram XX cassette is too expensive.
thing is when buying XTR cassette one should always buy one extra and same with chain

here this is the bike with XTR pedals 11.37KG´s equals 25.06

well let´s see if i can lighten it more without any huge $$$ spendings

·
ACHOO
4,453 Posts
Looks great! BTW, are you using a digital scale, or are you calculating the total weight based on listed weights of each part?

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
I have tried to find some info about the S-works Ground Control Weight when used with stans fluid, can´t find anything though but i do know the the tubes from Specialized in the red box 29" weigh 150g/each that makes 300g/pair and adding on the weight of the tires 1140G/pair well tubeless saves some of that 300g don´t now if tubes should be weighed with no air in them?
My S-Works GC 29x2.1 weighed a portly 650g which was a whole 40g higher than the advertised weight! A scoop of Stan's weighs a shade under 50g.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
ESI Racer's edge grips will knock ~40-50g off

·
well mannered lout
3,102 Posts
An ultegra cassette will come in around an xtr weight and cost half.

With the Stans...I use it until the sidewalls are sealed, then drain the rest out. If I cut a tire on my trails I'm almost always going to need a tube. This way I'm not keeping the extra weight and I have a much neater job if I need to fix a flat trailside.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've got my Epic carbon comp down to 24.3 lbs. Mainly via ESI grips, S-works cranks, Stan crest wheels, 1 X 10 with a 42 tooth rear cog.

The one place I won't try to shave weight is tires. S-works are just to thin for all the rocks around here so I run 2.3 captain control in the front and 2.1 fast track control in the rear.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i use a digital scale to check the weights of the components i can get off the bike without having to disassemble it totally :D

i weighed the "bull horns " today 93g with the plugs not heavy the grips was 219g i belive.
the handlebar i have not weighed so i go with what it says on specialized´s site the saddle and the seat post together is 460g i did use a luggage weigh to check the S-works GC´s i bought 570g each hanging on the scale also same with the turbo tubes i hanged one of them on the scale and it showed 150g i do not know if it weighs more with air in it or not.

so going tubeless and converting to 1x10 is tempting as heck but i feel insecure doing it all my-self as i have only seen on you tube how they go tubeless also i don´t know how to really go 1x10 i would like to keep my big ring 38T from the crankset that came with the bike, i have heard it can be done but it is not optimal.
Also can i use say SRAM X01 cranks on this bike?

·
ACHOO
4,453 Posts
You really shouldn't be concerned about going tubeless as it isn't very difficult. Sure, some rims are easier to use than others, some tires can be tough, and an air compressor may be helpful.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You really shouldn't be concerned about going tubeless as it isn't very difficult. Sure, some rims are easier to use than others, some tires can be tough, and an air compressor may be helpful.
if an when i go Tubeless what combination is best go with the fast tracks´s the bike came with or use on S-Works GC and S-Works Fast track that came with the bike?
I have seen sometimes people has a tire with some more grip in front or rear and a faster tire on the opposite wheel, is Fast track rear and ground control in front a good combo?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also wonder when i get the XTR brakes do i need shimano adapters or can i use the adapters that are on the bike i have magura brakes at the moment?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i´m about to buy a new chain i in a weak state of mind poured those degrease you buy at a gas station and put the cassette and chain in there for a while then in hot water very clean very shiny.....and a very ruined chain i don´t know why i got that idea but apparently i ruined the chain it feels stiff and sounds like a sand grinder and this i did weeks ago so i have cleaned it once since and put on oil as usual now yesterday i felt the chain and it felt weird and sounded like there were tons of tiny sand corns i every darn link.

Anyways my question is and i guess it is very individual should i get he XTR cassette or the XT+chain?

the XTR is expensive as heck but it is also very light i feel if i don´t get it now i guess i´ll never get it, as i get it at a good price but still at a good price it is expensive.
Well probably waist of money sure XT isn´t as light but it sin´t all that heavy either as i have a Sram PG-1050 cassette and a KMC 10 chain nickel plated so it sin´t kmc´s lightest chain either

·
ACHOO
4,453 Posts
BTW, if you go ahead with the XTR cassette, be very careful about submersing it in degreaser. It has plastic spacers that won't react well to prolonged exposure to those compounds.

Don't ask me how I know that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi there
well i got the XTR FD M985 E2 and the XTR cassette unfortunately the M987 brakes seems to linger for 2 more weeks so hopefully i have them at the beginning of June and on the bike short after that, then my bike is where i want it.
I had the opportunity to ride a S-Works Stump jumper FSR with XX1 it was a great bike and the chance to get to try the XX1 was really nice.
Maybe in the future i can have XX1 too :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts