Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Nu-School Trail Rat
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a big deal, but I went to change out my front brake pads today.

About 18 months ago I let the LBS service my brakes...the wrench said he put XTR pads in the front.

Now when I take them out I discovered they were in fact made by BBB.:madmax:

They worked ok...but why the lie?:confused:

Things like this irritate me and I will not use those guys again.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Hadn't heard of BBB before so looked around a bit, seems like a legit company. Who knows, maybe their pads are made by same folks that make Shimano's pads? Not that that excuses being sold one thing and getting a substitute....but 18 months on a set of pads is a long time for a set of pads.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Question is why must have worked as good. Prob the same quality and not as much $. Used them 18 months good time on them also, so talk to shop tell them your feelings on this. You never know them may be same pads just stamped different for manufacturers.

·
Nu-School Trail Rat
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Hadn't heard of BBB before so looked around a bit, seems like a legit company. Who knows, maybe their pads are made by same folks that make Shimano's pads? Not that that excuses being sold one thing and getting a substitute....but 18 months on a set of pads is a long time for a set of pads.
BBB are the cheap shop 'own' brand in Australia.

The bike has not seen that much use...is the reason they lasted.

I am just pissed that they would lie about that...I payed for the XTR pads.

I guess that clocked me for a muppet. :madmax:

I was thinking about burning the LBS down for this....or never going there again. ;)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Have you ever considered that he did sell you XTR pads..

They did fit your brakes didn't they?? You should have asked for the SHIMANO Brand.....

That's akin to me walking into the the auto store and asking for brake pads for my F150 and not specifying the FORD brand.

You got what you asked for.....

·
Registered
241 Posts
YaMon said:
They did fit your brakes didn't they?? You should have asked for the SHIMANO Brand.....

That's akin to me walking into the the auto store and asking for brake pads for my F150 and not specifying the FORD brand.

Yep..

Now if you had specified the part or he charged you for a higher priced pad then put a cheaper one on it, then you'd have a case.

A lot of these shops buy the cheapest stuff they can find. Then charge as though they're putting the best stuff around on your bike. For most riders and LBS's it's good enough.

Plus, don't expect your bike mechanic to be a rocket scientist. Trust me most aren't or they'd be working for NASA, or their rich wife or girlfriend, etc.. and not the LBS.

It's just not that hard to change out the pads on your brakes yourself. Put the very best on, and save money in the process.

·
Registered
280 Posts
YaMon said:

You didn't READ his post. The wrench TOLD him he put xtr pads in, when he did not. Therefore, it's a lie.

·
Registered
241 Posts
coffeegeek2112 said:
You didn't READ his post. The wrench TOLD him he put xtr pads in, when he did not. Therefore, it's a lie.
Yeah, but did the wrench mean he put pads that fit the xtr, or orginal equipment pads in? There's a difference.

He said neither, so he could have meant either. Listen, some people, mechanics included will not differentiate the difference between name brand parts and just parts that fit.

If it's that important to you get it in writing or make sure the mechanic has exactly what you want in stock and puts it with your bike. That way you got some evidence that there was no misunderstanding.

This appears to be a communication problem to me, rather than a lie.

But then I don't know much about the shop or the mechanic. Maybe they are weasels.

Either way, there's an easy way to prevent this from happening in the future. Buy original equipment pads, and put them in yourself. Consider it a lesson learned. Or he could go back to the shop and see if the shop owner will switch 'em out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There are no if's, and's, or but's about it. He said he put a specific pad in. If it's anything but that specific pad, it's a lie. Let's say you took your bike in for cranks, and the wrench said I put on a set of xtr cranks for you. You pick up the bike and there are lx cranks on it. Same thing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
coffeegeek2112 said:
There are no if's, and's, or but's about it. He said he put a specific pad in. If it's anything but that specific pad, it's a lie. Let's say you took your bike in for cranks, and the wrench said I put on a set of xtr cranks for you. You pick up the bike and there are lx cranks on it. Same thing.
Obviously a big difference between a crank and a replacement disk brake pad.

But then if he feels the guy lied to him, he should go back to the shop and question him about it. Don't put up with the shyt.

I suspect they will say what I told you above.

Ever heard the old saying..'if you want something done right, you got to do it yourself?'

Learn it now.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i'm always amazed at people that excuse behavior like this from a bike shop. there's no excuse for it unless the customer asked what they paid for and the dude said, "ummm...i think xtr." and the customer paid for a normal tuneup and was hoping for the higher end stuff.

if the customer paid for something, then that's what he should get. and if a wrench doesn't know or recognize the difference between xtr and stock oem stuff, you probably don't want him working on your bike.

whether or not there's a performance difference or not is immaterial. there's a perceived and cost difference to the customer, hence the request for the upgrade.

·
Registered
241 Posts
dewthedru said:
i'm always amazed at people that excuse behavior like this from a bike shop. there's no excuse for it unless the customer asked what they paid for and the dude said, "ummm...i think xtr." and the customer paid for a normal tuneup and was hoping for the higher end stuff.

if the customer paid for something, then that's what he should get. and if a wrench doesn't know or recognize the difference between xtr and stock oem stuff, you probably don't want him working on your bike.

whether or not there's a performance difference or not is immaterial. there's a perceived and cost difference to the customer, hence the request for the upgrade.
I'm not excusing anything..

I don't think it's been established that there was a cost difference between the XTR and BBB pad.

I mean if the guy paid for an XTR pad, and got a BBB pad, then case closed. He got screwed. Go back and give 'em hell. And if they don't make it right, don't go back.

I mean seriously.., some shops are just past redemption. You're not going to change 'em. The general public's just somebody to screw whenever you get the chance.

So learn this lesson now, and move on.

I had an experience not long ago, where I ordered a high dollar bike from a small LBS and specifically asked the mechanic if they had put one of these models together before? When I ordered it he said, yeah.. When I picked it up he said, it was the first one..

So, is the guy a liar, or just a confused slug? I learned my lesson. Most of the guys working in these shops aint making jack. So that kind of work doesn't exactly attract the most trustworthy and conscientious candidates.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
So glad I replace my own pads (like changing the toilet paper roll) and choose off-name brand pads for my avid juicey's. So it's my fault.

But this thread was a good fun read anyway...thanks...better than paying mtbAction for crap like this.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The_rydster said:
BBB are the cheap shop 'own' brand in Australia.

The bike has not seen that much use...is the reason they lasted.

I am just pissed that they would lie about that...I payed for the XTR pads.

I guess that clocked me for a muppet. :madmax:

I was thinking about burning the LBS down for this....or never going there again. ;)
Well, BBB is based in the Netherlands and distributes in 35 countries according to their website. Are you in Aberdeen Scotland or Australia? How much are XTR pads vs BBB pads? Did you know the difference before or were you convinced you were getting a great deal with your mad skills as a consumer?

OTOH you want to be taken seriously then say say something like "clocked me for a muppet" let alone the bit about what little tantrum you're going to throw over your own gullibility. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
914 Posts
IntheBush said:
I'm not excusing anything..

I don't think it's been established that there was a cost difference between the XTR and BBB pad.
Price difference between BBB and XTR doesn't matter. If they said they installed XTR they should install XTR even if BBB is more expensive. I had same thing last year here. I specifically wanted Magura original pads, but got Swissstop. Yes they are more expensive, I got them for price of Magura pads, so I got them cheaper, but that's not the point. If I say I want Magura, and guy promise me to send me Magura, but he puts Swissstop in package, it's not normal practice for me. If I would want Swissstop I would tell this on begining, so I obviously had reason to ask for Magura, or?
But I agree with someone writing, these guys are not rocket scientists, so somehow they are excused.

·
Chronic 1st-timer
2,432 Posts
lidarman said:
So glad I replace my own pads (like changing the toilet paper roll) and choose off-name brand pads for my avid juicey's. So it's my fault.

But this thread was a good fun read anyway...thanks...better than paying mtbAction for crap like this.
The plumber charges us $20 each time.
I thought we were getting a deal!! :madman:

·
Nu-School Trail Rat
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Well, BBB is based in the Netherlands and distributes in 35 countries according to their website. Are you in Aberdeen Scotland or Australia? How much are XTR pads vs BBB pads? Did you know the difference before or were you convinced you were getting a great deal with your mad skills as a consumer?

OTOH you want to be taken seriously then say say something like "clocked me for a muppet" let alone the bit about what little tantrum you're going to throw over your own gullibility. :rolleyes:
Where I am at right now is non of your business...but I got the pads in Australia.

I didn't understand hydraulic brakes at the time and the front one had lost power and was squealing.

The wrench said it just needed a pad change, and I said just stick XT in since they were XT brakes. I cam back next day and he said they were out of XT so he put XTR in.

But now it seems they were BBB.

I don't think that is gullibility...just plain deception.

I am sorry if you think that somehow I deserved that.

I sincerely hope that someone like you never owns a bike shop.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
With a baby-like rant like this, it seems to me that you deserved it. Cowering behind your interweb anonymity and whining is certainly going to help you out here.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.