Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just revived a letter from my local crack, errr bike dealer explaining the state of the bike industry in general, and the state of his business specifically. Interesting stuff, but the part that stood out to me:

"With Turner, we just did not need to have two DW link brands in the store. I feel Pivot is a superior frame in every aspect over the Turner especially the 2010 models. Plus, Turner made me mad with some of their business practices. "

Any idea what he's referring too?

I'm a long standing believer in spending my money in the brick and mortar shops, but it just keeps getting harder. I appreciate good local advice, and believe me my dealer knows bikes, but in the end I want to be able to decide for myself what to ride. If that choice is Turner my nearest dealer is now three hours away.

·
Huh?
848 Posts
Since you can deal with Turner directly or call Chad or Larry or Go-Ride i don't see what your problem is? There is rarely an issue with the frame itself that would require a trip to the LBS so whats the big deal?
As for the business practices thing I have no idea what he is referring to.

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Why don't you ask your dealer about these 'practices'? If he is going to send you such a letter he should be happy to back it up in a convo. IMO it's pretty rough sending such a letter to customers - obviously to build up the Pivot side of his business by bagging Turner. Some company's lawyers would have a field day with such a letter.

If the Pivots are so good they should sell themselves without the need to discredit what is now the competition.

Always 2 sides to a story, and hopefully he is still happy to provide you with good service.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Interesting. I'd probably say the opposite. Turner is my favorite vendor to deal with. Great group of people, fantastic bikes, and they are easy to work with as a dealer.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aixelsyd said:
Since you can deal with Turner directly or call Chad or Larry or Go-Ride i don't see what your problem is? There is rarely an issue with the frame itself that would require a trip to the LBS so whats the big deal?
It's not a matter of wanting to buy locally in case my Turner frame has a problem. I believe it's beneficial in many ways to support local businesses when ever possible.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
ignazjr said:
Interesting. I'd probably say the opposite. Turner is my favorite vendor to deal with. Great group of people, fantastic bikes, and they are easy to work with as a dealer.
I agree 100%, great company to deal with, one of the best.

Kiwirider is right, seems a bit petty and unprofessional to put something like that in a letter to customers.

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
456 Posts
Like stated previously, the only thing I can sense from that letter is trying to push the Pivot brand. May be the LBS gets a bigger cut. Who knows? He could still feed you some BS about these "business practices".

Either way I try to take stuff with a grain of salt especially if it's a shop pushing the brands they're a dealer for; whether it's Turner or whomever.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Not really sure why an independent shop would want to drop a line of bikes. If Turner is like any of the other smaller mfg I worked with at shops, they most likely don't have a minimum order or restrictions to continue being a dealer. In that instance I understand no longer stocking them, but give customers the choice still for special orders. Kind of a weird call by the shop IMO.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I believe there are requirements for frames in the shop and bikes on the floor per season. I know that to become a dealer initially that is certainly the case. There is little doubt in my mind that the margins are better on the Pivot bikes... In times like these asking a dealer to have $4k - $6k cost in frames/bikes could be a tough sell when you've got very similar offerings from another boutique brand with better margins.

Hard for any of us to fault the shop owner for simply deciding to drop Turner when we don't know his finances or the demographics of his customer base. The slander, however, is quite a different story.

·
Registered
750 Posts
aixelsyd said:
Some people would rather visit and support a local shop. Nothing against it either way, but there are certainly some customers who value a brick and mortar shop to call home, even if a chain costs a few bucks more there.

I too buy a majority of things online and work on my bikes in my basement... however I am also a very broke PhD student.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's always about money. Maybe pivot is able to float credit and turner is not willing. Just a wild guess but probably a hot button with many shops ITTET.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Business practices?

What does that mean? Bond, drop me a line, [email protected] and tell me the dealers name so I can have LJ give them a call. I hate to loose any dealer, but I understand they have to do business as they choose just as I do. If it is how we acted I want to know, if it is our requirements I want to know that too. As far as margins are concerned, there very well could be a better margin on a imported bike that is selling for almost US prices. Go figure.

DT

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Weird how the shop specifically refers to PIvot's superiority "especially the 2010 models". Do either Pivot or Turner frames differ greatly from their respective 2009 models to warrant such a statement (unless he believed it in '09 as well)? Perhaps its due to the lack of an RFX? Pivot has the FB and thus a more filled model line-up. Speculation on my part. Could be marketing by the shop, which can be expected. No problem there.

Like others have said though, stating what they said in the letter regarding business practices was not cool. Comes off like a cheap shot. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. There's not enough information, thus a cheap shot in my eyes.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Something doesn't add up

Having been a Turner dealer for almost a decade, I can't think of any "business practices" that would lead me to even call to complain, let alone just summarily drop the line entirely, given the fact that there are no minimums (but margins are lower with fewer bikes of course). In fact, other lines we've looked into in previous years, were of lower quality imho and had more difficult buy-ins and yearly requirements. One company, I won't say the name but it rhymes with Isis, didn't want to have anything to do with us and wouldn't explain why. That was years ago, and I'm glad we DON'T have them, and can deal with just a few select, very good, companies.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,885 Posts
MTB 123 is your dealer?

·
Registered
80 Posts
To everyone,

I never anticipated my little letter to my customers explaining how my business was handling the recession would wind up creating so many discussions. I like being honest with our customers and vendors and look where it gets me. I unfortunately have spent the better part of the day dealing with my honesty. I like Turner as a brand. I just do not need two DW link brands in the shop. I chose one over the other, and it was a business decision. It is a decision most owners make on a daily business. I had one or two issues over the years that were always handled with care by Turner. They did there job and stood behind their product, end of story. Our sales with Turner had fizzled out a little since early 2009 and could not make a commitment to them going into 2010. They took us off the website as a dealer a while ago. Simple as that. There was no hidden agenda and I do not want this to get in some pissing match on the forums. Let it rest please.

Frank

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
frannek said:
To everyone,

I never anticipated my little letter to my customers explaining how my business was handling the recession would wind up creating so many discussions. I like being honest with our customers and vendors and look where it gets me. I unfortunately have spent the better part of the day dealing with my honesty. I like Turner as a brand. I just do not need two DW link brands in the shop. I chose one over the other, and it was a business decision. It is a decision most owners make on a daily business. I had one or two issues over the years that were always handled with care by Turner. They did there job and stood behind their product, end of story. Our sales with Turner had fizzled out a little since early 2009 and could not make a commitment to them going into 2010. They took us off the website as a dealer a while ago. Simple as that. There was no hidden agenda and I do not want this to get in some pissing match on the forums. Let it rest please.

Frank
Well, that's all well & good...however, there remains the issue of your comment that was quoted in the opening post: "Plus, Turner made me mad with some of their business practices. " I think this is the issue that has caused the unrest "on the forums".

1 - 20 of 80 Posts