Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My LBS installed a new crankset on my steel SS. Because of chainline issues, the LBS guy had to try a couple of different sizes. Finally settled on a Shimano ES 30. Anyway, when I got home I noticed some threads sticking out on the non-drive side. It is clearly cross-threaded (see threads on bottom not on top, cup is not perpindicular to shaft plane, etc.).

I would hope that since the frame is steel and the BB threads are Al that I should be ok? I don't want to touch it so the LBS can see what happened. But right now I am freaking out about it. Can someone help me get some sleep? :)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Yes its very likely that the cup was stripped and not the shell which is a much harder material. You should probably get the shell chased anyway even before this happened to clean up any possible damage or excess material in there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE: Turns out the BB cup in question, being made of plastic, was, apparently, slightly out of spec. The threads were straight and looked good. So it wasn't anything the LBS did. And they applied a little more torque this time to snug it up. Looks like I am good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.