Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few shots of my newest find - a NOS "Race" frame, never built. It still has the original tags hanging on it from Bontrager's SC shop! Maybe some of you could nail this down more closely for me, but it appears to be a SC-made frame before frame making was moved to Trek's operations in the midwest.

Look closely and you'll see taperd seat stays (not two piece), lack of a derailleur pulley, and a plain panel on the top tube (no "OR" present). The tags also indicate it to be a "suspension- corrected" frame.

Anyone have any other info for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
wow, you must be excited! you could'nt even wait to get it out of the back seat of your car before you started snapping photos. :)

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
Very nice indeed! I am jealous fer sure. What did ya hafta give for 'her'?? I don't need to know, but I am curious. As per my good pal in Waterloo, WI...the Race/RaceLite didn't come with orange-colored decals, or at least his source of info from back then doesn't list orange/cream/black decals as colors produced for the Race/RaceLite frames. ???

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nice Bonerator!

The vanilla/orange decals are the classiest I've ever seen. Build her right!

That back seat shot is hot hot hot!

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
loonyOne said:
Very nice indeed! I am jealous fer sure. What did ya hafta give for 'her'?? I don't need to know, but I am curious. As per my good pal in Waterloo, WI...the Race/RaceLite didn't come with orange-colored decals, or at least his source of info from back then doesn't list orange/cream/black decals as colors produced for the Race/RaceLite frames. ???
Well..... I posted a "WANTED" ad on Craig's List for a Race/Race Lite frame, and some guy from Oregon (with 19 steel bikes, no less) contacted me, and happened to be coming to the SF Bay Area on vacation. He brought the bike with him. I paid $300 for the frame.

It actually also had a RockShox Judy XC with Bontrager crown, CK threaded headset and M-950 XTR crank/BB, too. I offered $450 for the whole shibang, but he wouldn't go for it. Too bad.

I started to build the bike last night.

BTW - I'm looking for a threadless 1" stem with a 100-120 mm reach, 5-10 degree rise, preferably a SYNCROS with a flip-face, as I have now (it's a 140 mm).

Anybody have something????

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
scooderdude said:
Well..... I posted a "WANTED" ad on Craig's List for a Race/Race Lite frame, and some guy from Oregon (with 19 steel bikes, no less) contacted me, and happened to be coming to the SF Bay Area on vacation. He brought the bike with him. I paid $300 for the frame.

It actually also had a RockShox Judy XC with Bontrager crown, CK threaded headset and M-950 XTR crank/BB, too. I offered $450 for the whole shibang, but he wouldn't go for it. Too bad.

I started to build the bike last night.

BTW - I'm looking for a threadless 1" stem with a 100-120 mm reach, 5-10 degree rise, preferably a SYNCROS with a flip-face, as I have now (it's a 140 mm).

Anybody have something????
Nicely done. You must have been the fellow looking to trade the medium for the large. I was tempted to contact you but it looks like it worked out well for you that I didn't.

Are you going to sell the medium? If so let me know what you are asking and whether it is a race or racelite.

Cheers

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boy named SSue said:
Nicely done. You must have been the fellow looking to trade the medium for the large. I was tempted to contact you but it looks like it worked out well for you that I didn't.

Are you going to sell the medium? If so let me know what you are asking and whether it is a race or racelite.

Cheers
Yep, I be he. And, yep, I do plan to sell the medium. First things first, though. Still need to complete the build of the new one.

What frame did you have to trade? I am always interested in steel.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
scooderdude said:
Yep, I be he. And, yep, I do plan to sell the medium. First things first, though. Still need to complete the build of the new one.

What frame did you have to trade? I am always interested in steel.
I have a large racelite that gets mostly road use. I never emailed because I would rather hold onto it. I have a hard time parting with frames. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever have.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boy named SSue said:
I have a large racelite that gets mostly road use. I never emailed because I would rather hold onto it. I have a hard time parting with frames. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever have.
A Race Lite is truly what I wanted. Still looking for one, actually. If you tell me its orange, I'll die.

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
scooderdude, I didn't mean for any ill-will. I just simply did not think that the orange decals were 'correct'. My bad. And don't get me wrong, orange is my favorite color! If my Bonny had the same decals, I would NOT have hated them, and they would still be emblazoned on 'er. I could no longer take the huge, yellow, mylar panels. Not that I don't like yellow, but it really clashed with my tastebuds when put onto a deep, mystic purple frame. I would definitely have to say that that is THE ONLY thing I didn't/don't like about Bontrager frames. Just my opine.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
loonyOne said:
scooderdude, I didn't mean for any ill-will. I just simply did not think that the orange decals were 'correct'.
The catalogs only listed what was "production" but other combos were possible. I have a late model CX that is painted black from the factory, yet the catalogs say it's only available in "dark silver" (i.e. gray). I aksed KB, and he said if you asked for a black one that they'd paint it black.

I like the decals. The Race rides great, and is just a little heavier than the Race Lite. Some same that the Race was the best Bonty made.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
loonyOne said:
scooderdude, I didn't mean for any ill-will. I just simply did not think that the orange decals were 'correct'. My bad. And don't get me wrong, orange is my favorite color! If my Bonny had the same decals, I would NOT have hated them, and they would still be emblazoned on 'er.
Oh - GOSH! - no harm, no foul. I had never seen this color panel before either, and especially a TT panel that has no "OR" on it. Very unusual, so I haven't the faintest idea how and why they found their way onto this Race frame. They're growing on me, now. I like 'em.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are a couple more pictures after wheels and controls were stripped from my Medium "Race" and bolted up to the new frame.

Still waiting for a top-pull XT (739 or 738) or M-950 XTR front derailleur to materialize somehow. I currently have 3 bottom pull versions in my stash - 2 x M-950 XTR and 1 x 738 XT - from the right era, but nothing (NOTHING!) that is a top pull! Aaaarrgghh!!

Still looking for a SYNCROS 1" threadless stem in a 120 mm. Help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
scooderdude said:
A Race Lite is truly what I wanted. Still looking for one, actually. If you tell me its orange, I'll die.
Nope, not orange, you can live out the rest of your life in peace.

For those who like the color combination on this frame, trek sent me a downtube one gratis a couple of months back. It was the only color they had left. I'm sure they have more but it is downtube only but the price seems fair.

I agree with the earlier post about the races being the best of the Bontrager frames. Mine rides the best of the race, racelite, and ti-lite in my bunch. I do weigh around 185 so that could be a good part of it.

cheers

·
Registered
374 Posts
scooderdude said:
Ah, close. I've got an NOS Orange one. Unbuilt.

But it's a Race.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
scooderdude said:
Here are a couple more pictures after wheels and controls were stripped from my Medium "Race" and bolted up to the new frame.

Still waiting for a top-pull XT (739 or 738) or M-950 XTR front derailleur to materialize somehow. I currently have 3 bottom pull versions in my stash - 2 x M-950 XTR and 1 x 738 XT - from the right era, but nothing (NOTHING!) that is a top pull! Aaaarrgghh!!

Still looking for a SYNCROS 1" threadless stem in a 120 mm. Help!!
I have the derailleur for you! email me at [email protected] maybe we can work out a trade? I also have the rest of that xt group that matches the front derailleur been thinking of selling it, nos crank arms v brakes, rear derailleur cassette shifter/levers.

the frt derailleur I have is a 738 top pull, used but in great shape not scratched 28.6 clamp

I want to run bottom pull with the roller but lack the roller and bottom pull derailleur

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.