2004 Stumpjumper FSR - $1350

I road ride ~20miles a week, trail ride ~30+

New England trails/weather

Which is the best bang for my buck?

·
Registered
303 Posts
How about a Trek Fuel 95?

My friend is selling his 2004 Trek Fuel 95 with Full XT spec, Chris King Headset, Easton EC90 bars, Ritchey WCS stem, Thomson Seatpost, Selle Italia Ti Saddle, and 2004 Duke Race fork with 4" travel. And he's in Exeter, NH, so you can pick it up and save shipping. All he wants for this $3600 bike is $1400, and it's less than a year old. Interested? Email him at [email protected]. A comparably specced Stumpjumper would set you back about $3100 without the awesome upgrades. Just an option for you if you're interested. There are pics here:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=87199&query=retrieval

·
Registered
188 Posts
Depends on model

Lee said:
2005 FSRxc comp - $1299

2005 Stumpjumper FSR 100 - $1650

2004 Stumpjumper FSR - $1350

I road ride ~20miles a week, trail ride ~30+

New England trails/weather

Which is the best bang for my buck?
I suppose it depends on the model of the Stumpy's. I was in your shoes and choose the Stumpy's over the XC because of the lighter frame. I also think you get a better front shock on the Stumpy's vs. the XC.

Which models of the Stumpy's are you looking at? I have an 04' Elite Disc. This has been a great bike and the Disc's are nice. If the 05' you are looking at has disc brakes, most likely they are the Juicy 5's.....nicer than the 04' Deore, and it would also have the triad rear shock vs. the 04' Elite Disc with just Propedal. If you are looking at an 04' Expert......jump on it immediately! There aren't anymore of those around and are set up great! Fox front shock and rear triad.

Let us know which models, or at least colors you are looking at in each year.

·
Humpmaster general
472 Posts
What I know about buying bikes.

I have made three purchases over the last 10 years. 6 months after every purchase I have thought that I should have spent more money. I have loved every bike I have ever bought.

I was in the exact position you were in 5 months ago. I was considering the exact same bikes you are considering now.

The only difference is my 2004 stumpjumper FSR was $1250.

My thoughts.

The 2004 and the 2005 Stumpjumpers are almost exactly the same, the 2004 gets it because of the price difference.

On the 2004 Stumpjumper compaired to the 2005 FSRXC comp -- better fork, and a lighter frame on the Stumpjumper. All other parts are pretty equal except the disc brakes on the FSRXC COMP.

I went with the 2004 stumpjumper because it was the cheapest and tied for the best specs. I already had a set of disc brakes to put on the Stumpjumper.

Even at $1350 I think I would still get it. (or I would offer them $1300 and see what they do.

On a side note, I have not found anyone who said the rebound adjust on the 2004 black elite works and neither does mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually went to buy the Stumpjumper today and it was SOLD!

Now the shop I go to only has ONE Medium 2005 FSRxc Comp left

They sold 3 in 4 days! WOW

I mean for $1299, should I just get it and stop confusing myself? Will it beable to do trails like I want? Aggressive? Smooth road ride? I will be upgrading later on most definetly so is the $1299 worth it for now?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yea, the 04's are getting pretty hard to find. If you find one, you almost have to make the decision right then. I missed the 04' Expert by one day. Ended up getting the 04' Elite.

The XC will be just fine and is capable of a lot. I used my Stumpy FSR and a friend used his new FSRxc bike while in Moab. He did great and had no problems with the XC bike. He loved the way it rode and did some very nice climbs......with strap pedals.

If you do plan on keeping the bike for some time, you might consider the Stumpy. If you think you will replace it in a few years, then go with the XC.

Good luck and either bike is very capable!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.