Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is taking shape and looking more like a animal!

Attachments

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
BurnNotice said:
It is the 2010 Bomber 55 TST2. That thing is massive as you can tell. This thing should be bomb proof!
KHS XC frames are not bomb proof.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,924 Posts
BurnNotice said:
It is the 2010 Bomber 55 TST2. That thing is massive as you can tell. This thing should be bomb proof!
Are you at all concerned that you are hanging all of this bombproof stuff (wheels, fork) on an XC frame? I have the same frame (built one for my wife) and the front triangle seems pretty stout, but I would not say the same of the rear.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kapusta said:
Are you at all concerned that you are hanging all of this bombproof stuff (wheels, fork) on an XC frame? I have the same frame (built one for my wife) and the front triangle seems pretty stout, but I would not say the same of the rear.
This bike will be ridden on single track technical trails................not going to be riding it off a mountain if that is what your suggesting.

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
BurnNotice said:
This bike will be ridden on single track technical trails................not going to be riding it off a mountain if that is what your suggesting.
Then why all the AM/freeride stuff? Just curious...

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,924 Posts
BurnNotice said:
I was not assuming anything, but just wanted to be sure. When I see a build like that, it does suggest that it may be intended for some action which that frame is not meant for. As long as you are aware of that, it should be a very fun bike.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
264 Posts
kapusta said:
Are you at all concerned that you are hanging all of this bombproof stuff (wheels, fork) on an XC frame?
Not to be another parade pisser, but it should have been a XC frame... Sorry, just bugs me when Im reading and I have to stumble over words in my own mind lol :thumbsup:

edit: Nice build by the way! :)

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Calles said:
Not to be another parade pisser, but it should have been a XC frame... Sorry, just bugs me when Im reading and I have to stumble over words in my own mind lol :thumbsup
I would say "an XC frame"
or "a cross country frame."

A X C just sounds like one acronym.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Calles said:
Not to be another parade pisser, but it should have been a XC frame... Sorry, just bugs me when Im reading and I have to stumble over words in my own mind lol :thumbsup:

Wrong. ;) Sorry, but if you're going to be a grammar nazi at least be right. ;)

Remember, using a or an depends on the sound that begins the next word.

Remember that this rule also applies when you use acronyms:

Introductory Composition at Purdue (ICaP) handles first-year writing at the University. Therefore, an ICaP memo generally discusses issues concerning English 106 instructors.

Another case where this rule applies is when acronyms start with consonant letters but have vowel sounds:

An MSDS (material safety data sheet) was used to record the data. An SPCC plan (Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures plan) will help us prepare for the worst.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,924 Posts
Calles said:

"XC" in this case is intended as "Ex-See", so it would be "an" rather than "a".

You are probably going to have to get used to this if you spend any time on this site. Some people are thinking "Ex-See" when they write "XC" others are thinking "cross country". You can tell by whether they use "an" or "a".

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
264 Posts
BaeckerX1 said:
Wrong. ;) Sorry, but if you're going to be a grammar nazi at least be right. ;)

Remember, using a or an depends on the sound that begins the next word.

Remember that this rule also applies when you use acronyms:

Introductory Composition at Purdue (ICaP) handles first-year writing at the University. Therefore, an ICaP memo generally discusses issues concerning English 106 instructors.

Another case where this rule applies is when acronyms start with consonant letters but have vowel sounds:

An MSDS (material safety data sheet) was used to record the data. An SPCC plan (Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures plan) will help us prepare for the worst.
Bah... I guess when I see an acronym I don't pronounce the acronym, In my head I say Cross-Country... and in that case you would say A. (or at least this applies to an un-pronounceable acronym, for instance NASA would be different in my mind)

lol... wheres an English major when you need one... :eek:

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
overall it looks sick in terms of colors and some compents but it seems like a kind of odd mix of stuff you got going on.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
kapusta said:
I think the KHS XC models are pretty stout bikes. The rear is very similar to Chumba's XCL and Titus' Moto-L. I wouldn't be that concerned with the rear triangle as long as we are not talking about crazy drops. Now that shock on the other hand...

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
mnigro said:
I think the KHS XC models are pretty stout bikes. The rear is very similar to Chumba's XCL and Titus' Moto-L. I wouldn't be that concerned with the rear triangle as long as we are not talking about crazy drops. Now that shock on the other hand...
I agree. KHS puts out pretty tough bikes. What caught my curiosity is the compatibility of the fork to the frame. The Bomber 55 has 160mm of travel & the KHS XC is designed for 100-120mm of front suspension. It will significantly change the handling of the bike & might add stress to the frame.

Oh, & that bike would be one heavy beast of a trailbike.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
you've made an xc bike that will no longer be good for xc..

i might be interested in purchasing your 55 when it snaps off the front of your bike though. dibs!

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
nordstern1 said:
I agree. KHS puts out pretty tough bikes. What caught my curiosity is the compatibility of the fork to the frame. The Bomber 55 has 160mm of travel & the KHS XC is designed for 100-120mm of front suspension. It will significantly change the handling of the bike & might add stress to the frame.

Oh, & that bike would be one heavy beast of a trailbike.
Damn, I didn't realize that was a 160mm fork. Way, way too much fork for that bike.

I'd also be really concerned with how much it'd screw up the geo too. So much weight transfer to the rear I'd think that you'd only have 1" of travel left after the sag had set in.

OP, I ran a 115 Reba on my xc604 and it ran fine. Might want to rethink that build or look for a new frame. You can get an Evo from Bob's for $900...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts