Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just finished my Karate Monkey build with a Lefty DLR and wanted to share some pics.

So far I have about 60km of commuter riding on it and have not yet hit the trails although I will do so on the way home from work tonight.

Installing the Lefty DLR was almost a non issue.

The Lefty DLR (w/ 100mm travel) did not have to be modified to limit the travel since there was enough room to accommodate a Salsa Delgado Rim with Maxxis Ignitors. I slid the bottom clamp up the tube till there was a 10mm gap between the tire and bottom clamp when the Lefty was at max travel. I was worried that there would not be enough room to accommodate the KM's head tube but everything fit perfect and the top clamp fit right on top of the top headset and was flush with the top of the Lefty's tube. As a bonus that position of the bottom clamp almost matched the Reba's axle to crown height. Pics are here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=184797

The Lefty DLR build was real simple after getting the Malaysian steerer tube conversion and mounting the bottom clamp on the bottom collar.
That tragic tale is here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1860448#poststop

I went to the LBS to get a starnut and had them drive it in right there. The guys had no idea what they were looking at and at first were going to install the starnut in the bottom of the steerer tube.

Except for a slight front derailleur issue the rest of the build was cake. It only took me 5 beers.

I observed (thanks Bruce Brown for the links to the Surly blog) that even with Monkey Nuts that the clearance to an SRAM X-Gen front derailleur is pretty close.
http://www.surlybikes.com/spew12.html
In fact it rubbed if the FD was placed too high. The instructions for the FD said to place bottom of the outer cage 1-3mm above the highest point of the large chainring. I would add that at 3mm above you will have clearance issues, at about 1mm there is the sweet spot where the rear of the FD cage is below the furthest inward point of the tire and will clear. Clearance was not an issue with Kenda Kahns but I decided to go with MAxxis Ignitors so I can hit the trails as soon as possible.

I button head bolt will help with the SRAM X-Gen FD clearance too but I haven't found a proper one yet. The stock bolt with the FD is the closest point to the tire.

The ride so far (only commuter stuff with some hops off curbs and embankments to test the Lefty) is great. The Lefty DLR has a lockout, the Marybars are sweeeeeet and the only problem I had was that the Ritchey Comp seatpost (thanks Steevo) was too long and could not be lowered enough because of the bend in the seat tube. I used a CODA Competition seat tube instead. I really hope that it does not storm tonight so I can take the KM out into the woods!

Cheers,
Marty

Attachments

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
marty_hd said:
Here are some more pics.
Your Monkey looks sweet, Marty.

Not sure about that seat angle for off road riding as it might have your weight sliding forward all the time which could put too much weight on your hands. Was it the beer?:thumbsup:

Get that thing on the trails tonight after work and try it out.

BB

P.S. I'm rooting for Germany to beat Argentina on Friday! Dream match will be Germany versus Brazil in the final game. Keeping my fingers crossed....

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
20.100 FR said:
There's a nice solution for the front derailleur problem:

http://twentyniner.free.fr/spip/article.php3?id_article=44
Very interesting. You should forward it to the folks at the Surly Blog.

At that French 29er site, the poster says they use a Tiagra front derailleur. He must have the Tiagra FD4403 as the 4400 says it is only compatible with road shifters, not mountain bike shifters....

Speedgoat Item Number: 45032
Shimano Tiagra® FD4403 Front Derailleur

• Specific seat tube clamp size or braze-on style
• For 50-54-tooth large chainrings
• Designed with 8-speed in mind
• 22-tooth capacity (large ring teeth minus small ring teeth determines capacity)
• Alloy body and clamp construction
• Chromed steel cage

120 grams

The Dura-Ace the poster links to as being the "lighter" in weight version comes in one version that is designed for 9 speed systems and a 22 tooth capacity (large ring minus small ring teeth difference). However, according to Speedgoat it is not lighter, but actually 14 grams heavier than the Tiagra.

Speedgoat Item Number: 45018
Shimano Dura-Ace® FD7703 Front Derailleur

• Specific seat tube clamp size or braze-on style
• Designed for triple chainring applications
• Designed with 9-speed in mind
• 22-tooth capacity (large ring teeth minus small ring teeth determines capacity)
• Lightweight alloy body and clamp construction
• Ultralight nickel-plated alloy cage

134 grams

For $27 (the Tiagra front derailleur) may be worth a try provided it is compatible.

BB

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Very nice. As soon as someone starts offering a complete/packaged Lefty conversion kit, or the fork converted and ready for a standard 29er frame, they will have a nice little profit center on thier hands.

I could dig on a carbon lefty, with a Mavic Crossmax UST 29er wheel. Where do I place my pre-order?

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,393 Posts
Road FD's

I'm running a 105 FD on my KM - no interference with the clamp. No Monkey Nuts. I have it mounted a bit high with the clamp just above a waterbottle boss, but it shifts very nicely. I note that this was originally a parts-box build to check out 29erness.

Occasionally on steep climbs at high torque the tire tread (MotoRaptors) will rub the end of the cage.

I actually have a braze-on FD and adapter clamp - for another problem on another bike. I'll have to check it out on the KM. The slot on the adapter may let me get the cage out of the way of the tread a bit more. Thanks!

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,393 Posts
Just do it like Marty did it.

ncj01 said:
Very nice. As soon as someone starts offering a complete/packaged Lefty conversion kit, or the fork converted and ready for a standard 29er frame, they will have a nice little profit center on thier hands.

I could dig on a carbon lefty, with a Mavic Crossmax UST 29er wheel. Where do I place my pre-order?
As sweet as the Carbon Leftys are, the clamps are glued onto the leg. At Cdale headstack height. You will have a stack of spacers in there (as shown), as well as a spacer inside to limit travel.

As Marty noted, with the AL Lefty you just move the clamps up to fit the short 29er head stack and you get all of the travel! Conversion is as simple as Ebay/MalaysianDude or Project321.com(pumpkinbiter) to make it 1 1/8. Bolt on. Oh, yeah - still gotta get a Lefty9er wheel (I9??)

PS to Marty: Lefty Monkeys Rule - sweet bike. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ricky J said:
Marty, she turned out nice! Cool buddy too, is that a Burmese Mountain Dog?

Are there any worries about the assymetrical forces Lefty puts into a frame?
My buddy is a Bernese Mountain Dog and he is hating the summer as much as I am loving it.

I am not really sure if the Lefty puts any asymmetrical forces on the frame since the steerer tube forces act though the head set. I think the static diagram would be the same for a Lefty and a Reba.

Marty

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
BruceBrown said:

At that French 29er site, the poster says they use a Tiagra front derailleur. He must have the Tiagra FD4403 as the 4400 says it is only compatible with road shifters, not mountain bike shifters....
This site is mine (with Rom1red, who also comes here from time to time).
I'm gonna ask him to come have a look on this thread to be able to answer your questions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh great

Now after seeing this thread visions of psuedo-Scalpel (Salsa Dos Niner with a Left DLR Carbon) are starting to dance in my head. And I just got a Bad Boy Ultra, I thought I was done with this, the chain continues! MUHAHAHA!

PS Thanks for the great pics, wonderful looking build

·
29" french team
95 Posts

Hello, that's work fine with Shifter like gripshift ('7.0 halfpipe for me) and also with sram shifters(9.0) like rapidfire . The only thing is that you have to push more than a traditional system with the right elements, i ride with this for 5 month long without any problem's.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.