Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up this small Karate Monkey frame and a MX Comp fork from qtip (thanks again) from the forum a few months ago and slowly built it up over time. It has been finished for a while now but I finally got around to taking some photos of it when taking some shots of my Serotta Colorado LT I recently picked up.

I need to cut the steerer tube down a bit and will do so before spring. But for now the KM is my winter do it all type bike (road, snow rides etc. etc.). Overall I'm impressed but it won't be until spring to really run it through its paces here in CT.

So far I've been impressed with the 2006 Avid Mechanicals. And the Reba is several notches above the MX Comp that came with the frame initially.

And just for kicks here's my Serotta Colorado LT - I picked this up used but in pristine condition with a full Dura Ace group in early December - she rides super nice!!

It should be a really fun year of riding in 2006 with these two rides. :cool:

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Nice!

Nice pair of machines you have there!

The Monkey looks fun, although I'm worried by the fact that your small monkey looks very similar in size to my medium. I like the fit, except that I'd have a toe overlap problem with anything but the original KM fork (or a Marz fork). This is partly my own fault for running 180mm cranks, and having big feet to boot (haha - accidental pun!).

Do your frame dimensions measure up to exactly what Surly claims? My frame seems to have a TT about half an inch less than what is listed on Surly's website. I really needed that half an inch!

Other than that, the KM is the funnest bike I've owned for a long time, I hope this year you enjoy yours as much as I will mine!

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ohio Gozaimas!

TheSingleGuy said:
Do your frame dimensions measure up to exactly what Surly claims? My frame seems to have a TT about half an inch less than what is listed on Surly's website. I really needed that half an inch!

Other than that, the KM is the funnest bike I've owned for a long time, I hope this year you enjoy yours as much as I will mine!

Cheers,

Chris
Hey Chris -
How's the weather over in Japan? I have a question for you (sorry to hijack the thread Matt!)... I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new KM (fixed of course!) and I'm smack dab in between the Med and Large: 5'11" with a 33" inseam. I've heard a few stories of Surly mis-sizing and I'm a bit nervous. Just out of curiosity how tall are you and what are you comments on the fit of your med.?

Matt -
It's about time! :D How's the ride??? How about a few fit comments?

Larry

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
l-dub1 said:
Hey Chris -
How's the weather over in Japan? I have a question for you (sorry to hijack the thread Matt!)... I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new KM (fixed of course!) and I'm smack dab in between the Med and Large: 5'11" with a 33" inseam. I've heard a few stories of Surly mis-sizing and I'm a bit nervous. Just out of curiosity how tall are you and what are you comments on the fit of your med.?

Matt -
It's about time! :D How's the ride??? How about a few fit comments?

Larry
Hi Larry!

Weather is OK - cold and rainy yesterday, but can't complain, we had a month of sun before that, I rrode every day, we even got some dust for once! Sun is out again today, and it isn't too cold, but the trails will be back to their usual slick wet-bar-of-soap-kinda-clay conditions. At least I'll get to test the Kenda Klaw's famed mud performance!

As for Monkey fit, I'm almost 5-11, I think. 179cm. I just measured my inseam (for the firstt time!) - barefeet, to pelvic bone was 33.5 inches. That was a bit hard to measure exactly by myself, but I think I got it pretty close. Seated, the KM fits like a glove. I do run a setback post with about 8 inches of seatpost out of the frame though. Riding, it feels pretty good, just right I'd say. I think the 20 would feel big for me. The standover is fine on the 18, I think I'd be close on the 20.

The only issue I have is that the TT was a teeny bit shorter than I'd hoped. As I mentioned in my post above - I would have a slight toe overlap issue if I went to a Reba or similar fork, based on what I have read about fork offset. Now using the stock fork, with an Exi, 180mm cranks and size 11 (US) shoes, I am JUST ok.

If you are going fixed, you'd probably run shorter cranks, right? If so, I think you'd have no issues at all with the medium monkey. For the money, it rides so nicely, I can't believe how good it feels! There's magic in those tubes! When you pick it up, it does feel a bit on the hefty side, but I must say that I have never noticed it riding - I think it rides pretty 'light' - the balance and handling are much more important in my opinion.

Hope that helps, and here's another photo!

Cheers,

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah, my med KM is the same way.

TheSingleGuy said:
Nice pair of machines you have there!

The Monkey looks fun, although I'm worried by the fact that your small monkey looks very similar in size to my medium. I like the fit, except that I'd have a toe overlap problem with anything but the original KM fork (or a Marz fork). This is partly my own fault for running 180mm cranks, and having big feet to boot (haha - accidental pun!).

Cheers,

Chris
Supposed to have 23.6" top tube, and to the best of my measuring ability it's a hair less than 23. Worked out perfectly for me since 23 works best.

I have the older camp-stove green one; perhaps the measurements changed?

Dave

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
Supposed to have 23.6" top tube, and to the best of my measuring ability it's a hair less than 23. Worked out perfectly for me since 23 works best.

I have the older camp-stove green one; perhaps the measurements changed?

Dave
That's the one I have too. I got about that too - I TRIED to somehow measure it longer, but no luck. Maybe they did lengthen the TT since ours were built....

As I said earlier, if it wasn't for the toe-overlap issue, I doubt I'd have ever noticed, because in every other way it feels great.

·
Professional lurker
218 Posts
Y'all got my curious, so I grabbed my 70s era yard stick and measured my month old medium Monkey.

From the center of the center of the headtube to the center of the seatpost on a line as close to horizontal as posible, it measured 23.5 inches.

On a side note, I've owned quite a few really nice (read expensive) bikes and framesets. My Monkey is providing me the most fun I"ve had on a bike in years. For a lot less money!

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
The Monkey is way cheap lovin', and a perfect way to get into (and stay) 29ing. The only ride better than my old Monkey is my current bike (which cost me way more ducats)! Have fun!

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drevil said:
The Monkey is way cheap lovin', and a perfect way to get into (and stay) 29ing. The only ride better than my old Monkey is my current bike (which cost me way more ducats)! Have fun!
Thanks! I'm diggin it so far!

·
Registered
85 Posts
MMcG said:
Overall I'm impressed but it won't be until spring to really run it through its paces here in CT.
Nice ride! Looking to get my hands on a KM myself. Still between sizes....I've gotta head down to the LBS and get sized up.

Where in CT are you? We've got a good 29er group that rides in central CT...east of the river. Grayville etc. Where do you do most of your riding?

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in Avon/Burlington, CT and do most of my riding at the W. Hartford Reservoir - that's because I work at the UConn Health Center in Farmington. I also ride Case Mt quite a bit, Nepaug State Forest, Nassahegon State Forest etc. etc.

What LBS will you be visiting?

Happy New Year!

Mark

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Mark, you'll have to join us come this spring. We have a little group of 29ers rolling. Four of us now, and they'll be six of us this spring. We get up to Case every now and then. a lot at Grayville, and a lot from my house near Salmon River.

Stay in touch.

B
East Hampton, CT

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
You're sounding like a 29er wannabe there, kid.

Just pony up the $$$ and make it happen. Perhaps cash in one of those many cars you've got hanging around.

B

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MDEnvEngr said:
Mark, you'll have to join us come this spring. We have a little group of 29ers rolling. Four of us now, and they'll be six of us this spring. We get up to Case every now and then. a lot at Grayville, and a lot from my house near Salmon River.

Stay in touch.

B
East Hampton, CT
B - hit me with an email at mmcg25 AT gmail DOT com to keep me in the loop!!

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
85 Posts
MDEnvEngr said:
You're sounding like a 29er wannabe there, kid.

Just pony up the $$$ and make it happen. Perhaps cash in one of those many cars you've got hanging around.

B
Thanks B....haha. I like to tie up all my cash in my Audi that is continually breaking down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.