Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All..... Thank you for all the kind words etc in regards to my thread on the journey to the Jones bike etc... Along with the great comments etc on the Thread Aqua posted up, A whole Lotta ti...

A few people asked how the Jones rode. I am not great at putting into words how something rides etc, but I will do my best for you here for what it is worth...

3 Jones (Merlin Welded)

Upon preparing for my fisrt ride on the Jones, I told myself "have no expectations of it being like anything else I have ridden" along with "dont compare it to anything i have ridden"

The bike is very short wheel base wise, when clipped in, my toe's on my bike shoe is some 1 inch from the front wheel, this is perfect for me. This short wheel base gave the bike great stability while in sharp turns (switchbacks), doing track stands etc.

The bike is very light in the front, you can pop a wheelie real easy, but on the flip side, the weight placement etc when climbing, doesnt at all make the front sketchy when climbing.

The short chaiinstays for me helped pop manuals with ease, am not great at manuals anyway, but noticed that I can do them, so that means room for improvement.

The top-tube is shorter than what most would believe I need, is sits at an effective top tube length of 23 inches. The bike still felt very balanced and comfortable. The seat tube is very slack so to speak, with the seat area behind the cranks, I enjoyed the real laid back feeling, but not loosing the assertive handling etc...

The bike had loads of traction, this was very noticable, not just saying this because the trail was in great condition, but you can feel it really bite in....

The bike braked great, was very balanced and pulled up on a dime, the lightness will help here, on the flip side, the acceleration is awesome..

The H Bars were really cool for me, first time ever using these, but it enabled me to move and change positions to help when climbing, and then widen the grip and get off the back seat when decending...

The low standover is cool for going under low hanging trees for example...

Going over steeps etc, the bike is very stable, althought hte wheel base is short, it felt near impossible to do an endo. Am sure it is, but the stability was great...

Am not sure this will make much sense, just wanted to get down on paper so to speak some thoughts as these were asked, will write more as time progresses....

To sum up, the bike is unusual for sure, but the ride is something else. it is pure harmony. To go on my first ride with 2 long time Jones riders and not just be a total pain in the pooper to them is a credit to the bike. I would have never thought i could do a 26 mile ride first up...

I urge you to think outside the square and if you do get the chance to throw a leg over, please do, that way it enables you to have a more creditable opinion so to speak....

A couple of shots:

Jeff Jones doing it

Aquaholic about to do a switchback, the stability rocks at near a trackstand move

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
awesome

man they are beautiful! Sound like they are worth the wait and the price. If you are at that point in your life where you know what you need for the last bike you ever buy (or at least the last SS 29er...) then why not!

Someone mentioned the name "Mones" fot the Merlin-Jones bikes, but I humbly suggest MERLONES - I think it has the appropriate ring to it. It conjures up tough guy images like Bugsy Malone, and in general people with big CAJONES. (edit - oops, should that be Cojones? I dunno...)

When I ride either of my budget bikes I like to dream they are a MERLONES.

Whafe, you're from NZ, aren't you? Whereabouts? I did the Newmans family campervan holiday over there 20 years ago and I have been "fizzing at the bung" to go back ever since, especially with a bike...it's a long way from Japan, unfortunately, but I guess not as far as from Spain!

MERLONES MERLONES MERLONES MERLONES MERLONES MERLONES

·
Registered
830 Posts
I like Jone's approach on having a short stay, short wheelbase bike. That makes sense to me as you have a more nimble bike with the same "rolloverability". Thanks for allowing us to vicariously experience tha' Jones.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TSG - Yes Malones has a good ring to it for sure. Am for sure from NZ, I have been abroad living in Spain for the past few years, this year I am working 2 weeks outside of NZ and 2 weeks in NZ... Is tiring, but giving it a go.... Glad you enjoyed NZ, if you want to come back to ride, let me know and we can help jack something up for you...

croscoe - you sum it up perfectly. I love the abilty this bike has with the short wheelbase

dash - there was a whole lotta jonesin for sure on the first ride......

I can tell you, I have experienced sore legs before, but after this 26 miler, my legs were Jelly.......

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MendonCycleSmith said:
Sweet bike. Now, when you're bored with it, you have my address, right? :D
:D :D Have your full address and contact details. But this one is a keeper. Will be a hand down to my children....:thumbsup:

·
Insanity later
346 Posts
Whafe,

Hate to be a party pooper mate, but are you sure it's appropriate to talk about your new bike on this day of mourney?

Just kidding of course, but I must confess to having a tear in my eye at the news of Sir Ed passing. Truly makes me proud to be a kiwi, even though the bonds are somewhat less than they once were.

OK. Back on topic. Sweet machine indeed. Go Orygun!!

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Serenity, have to agree, a huge loss for the country, Sir Ed was indeed a totally cool cat. He understands the coolness of the Jones though....

I am always proud to be a kiwi and a sheep shagger.......

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Whafe said:
:D :D Have your full address and contact details. But this one is a keeper. Will be a hand down to my children....:thumbsup:
Beautiful ride Whafe, congrats and cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
N Zed

The Jones Spaceframe is not only visually arresting but just flat works by all accounts, an elegant collection of free thinking ideas.

Had the late great Kiwi John Britten built bicycles he might've done something similar!

·