Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, it would have been cooler if we'd ridden first thing in the morning. But I had a couple of clients, and couldn't get outside until mid-day. We've been having a bit of a heat-wave in central Texas lately, and today was no different: highs in the 90s; heat index over 100. *phew*

But you ride when you can, right? And so we hit Walnut Creek: me, David, and my old friend Shane, who cut quite the colorful picture today.

1-4) Some shots of Shane, who is a very good rider, and also a bit silly.
5-7) David.

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 2/3rds of the way through the ride, David decided he wanted to sprint. Only David hasn't been riding in the heat much lately, and he just about did himself in. So he decided he'd take charge of the camera. Here's the result. I think he took the best pics of the day.

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought this was a funny sequence.

1) Oops, too close!
2) Clair pushing back up the hill. (I *wish* I could ride up that!!)
3) There's the shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seventy, dry, and sunny here (Delaware), and no morning clients; a perfect weekend. Today's ride was different; explored some little trails off the main course. Now to clean up and head to the big city for fun with friends and family. Happy cook-outs y'all!

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nocturnus said:
Endo Valley?
Yeppirs. The rocky section in the middle (where the shot is) is really crumbling away with all the dry weather.

·
Soy Chingon
261 Posts
Used to ride WC all the time when I lived in Austin in 100+ heat. Can't believe I was used to it. Lots of shade though. I miss WC a lot :sad:

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
That middle sequence of pictures is primo.

Yes it was hot. I walked out the door abt 7 am and could feel the humidity already. Still when we started our ride at BLORA around 8:45 it was tolerable.

Then I went to see that new Alien movie--er I mean Indiana Jones---it is an interesting one. An ok Indy installment--but the Mummy series of movies is better tha this last Indy one. Still worth the wait.

Glad to hear everyones holiday weekend is going well.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Doggonit, SW...you guys get to ride in way more shade than we get in west Texas...LOL! And I don't want to hear any of that baloney about our "dry heat" out here...LOL! Very nice pics. Our yellow bloom prickly pear are going great guns here too.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,195 Posts
Hot?

It is snowing here...all weekend.

And not the good kind.

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TNC said:
Doggonit, SW...you guys get to ride in way more shade than we get in west Texas...LOL! And I don't want to hear any of that baloney about our "dry heat" out here...LOL! Very nice pics. Our yellow bloom prickly pear are going great guns here too.
Austin is a very cool mix of climates/vegetation. Check out this pic from yesterday that I took after I came around a corner in a tight-and-twisty, shaded loop. That prickly pear found itself a break in the trees, and it's growing contentedly amongst them.

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gallorody said:
Used to ride WC all the time when I lived in Austin in 100+ heat. Can't believe I was used to it. Lots of shade though. I miss WC a lot :sad:
It makes for a very pleasant diversion from our more-challenging trails, that's for sure.

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rideit said:
Hot?

It is snowing here...all weekend.

And not the good kind.
Even with your love for skiing, you must be pulling at the bit to get back on the mountain bike. Sorry your weather isn't cooperating, Soon, surely?

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wherewolf said:
Literally 50 degree temperature drop in NorCal and near hypothermia weather today. See: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=416076
Let David keep the camera, we've seen enough guys :thumbsup:
Looks like a fun, well-attended ride, nonetheless! (We couldn't press on in the rain on our trails--they erode so easily, we try not to accelerate the process.)

I'll let David know he's the new camera man. ;)

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Evil Patrick said:
Dude, you're a free man. Stop the crying, pack up and leave already. Bart misses you.
He's a family man now, Patrick. The next time he'll be that "free," will be, oh, about 16 years from now. ;)

But it's all good, eh Wendel? :thumbsup:

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,195 Posts
Yeah, I'm whipped, for now.
No spring Peru/ Utah trips for the first time in 7 years. No dry trails, and the skiing is, well, I'm over it.

Parenthood has its compromises...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sweet, I will be in Ausitn all of next week for work, I will be hitting Walnut on the regular while I am there. Seeing as how I am comig up there from deep South Texas and that we hit high 90's every day last week with the heat index in the 100's everyday too, being in Ausitn should make me feel right at home. If ya'lls heat index hits the 90's I will really enjoy the cool down

1 - 20 of 69 Posts