Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got it all bulit up today.. Still waiting for a Ti spring with the correct spring rate for my 5th and also softer springs for the dorado..it is currently weighing at 42.3 pounds and hoping to get it down under 40(maybe 38)..so i m thinking of getting full Ti bots and everything and a carbon fibre boomerang and outer ring and probably the new easton carbon DH bar...and a new seat..what else can i do to cut down the weight?...

built spec:

Frame: Ironhorse Sunday(US made) 17inch
Fork: 2004 Manitou Dorado DH
Headset: FSA and e.thirteen reducer cups
Front Brake:Hope M4
Rear Brake: hope m4
Bar:Answer protaper
Stem: Thomson 50mm
Grips: ODI Ruffian lock-ons
Seatpost: thomson elite
Cranks: truvativ holzfeller
Bottem bracket: truvativ giga pipe DH
Pedals: time atac Z
Chainguide: MRP System 2
Shifter: sram x.9
Rear mech: sraam x.9
Cassette: Shimano..forgot wat model
Chain: shimano xtr
Front Hub: Hope bulb
rear hubT swiss Hugi FR
Rims: FR : Mavic 325 disc R: Mavic 325 disc
ENJOY!

KC

Attachments

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
TurnerDHRider said:
just got it all bulit up today.. Still waiting for a Ti spring with the correct spring rate for my 5th and also softer springs for the dorado..it is currently weighing at 42.3 pounds and hoping to get it down under 40(maybe 38)..so i m thinking of getting full Ti bots and everything and a carbon fibre boomerang and outer ring and probably the new easton carbon DH bar...and a new seat..what else can i do to cut down the weight?...

built spec:

Frame: Ironhorse Sunday(US made) 17inch
Fork: 2004 Manitou Dorado DH
Headset: FSA and e.thirteen reducer cups
Front Brake:Hope M4
Rear Brake: hope m4
Bar:Answer protaper
Stem: Thomson 50mm
Grips: ODI Ruffian lock-ons
Seatpost: thomson elite
Cranks: truvativ holzfeller
Pedals: time atac Z
Chainguide: MRP System 2
Shifter: sram x.9
Rear mech: sraam x.9
Cassette: Shimano..forgot wat model
Chain: shimano xtr
Front Hub: Hope bulb
rear hubT swiss Hugi FR
ENJOY!

KC
i'm assuming that you're gonna cut the steerer tube....

·
Registered
429 Posts
Nice!

That's a sweet ride! I hear that Ti-Springs make the suspension feel a lot better than with the normal steel spring. Have you ridden it with that spring? If so, I would be interested to see if you feel a difference in the way the suspension feels. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Ti-spring on my Iron Horse.

On of my friends have an M1 with a Ti-spring, and it does feel better than some of the other M1s I have ridden.

Nice ride...now we need some action pics... :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you've never broken or bent a BB, running a giga-pipe DH might be a bit of overkill. I'm not going to tell you what to run, but there are lighter options and categories...although the Sunday runs a pretty specific spindle size and choices may be slim.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
manwithgun said:
If you've never broken or bent a BB, running a giga-pipe DH might be a bit of overkill. I'm not going to tell you what to run, but there are lighter options and categories...although the Sunday runs a pretty specific spindle size and choices may be slim.
wat are some lighter choices i could consider..as i am a very light rider and as u said, i have never broken ot bent a BB

KC

·
Registered
382 Posts
TurnerDHRider said:
ENJOY!

KC
These are two areas that will save some weight.

I wound up with the FSA 85x133mm BB due to a mix up and it turns out it is about 90grams lighter than the Truvativ.

Also go tubeless. The Mavic Ex 823's I am running are about 70 grams lighter each. A UST tire is about the same weight of a conventional DH tire and you can drop the weight of a tube (250-700 grams depending on what type you use).

Anywhere between 450-875gram weight savings.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
Sick Ride. I'd peel those stickers off the Dorado though!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Salami said:
These are two areas that will save some weight.

I wound up with the FSA 85x133mm BB due to a mix up and it turns out it is about 90grams lighter than the Truvativ.

Also go tubeless. The Mavic Ex 823's I am running are about 70 grams lighter each. A UST tire is about the same weight of a conventional DH tire and you can drop the weight of a tube (250-700 grams depending on what type you use).

Anywhere between 450-875gram weight savings.
thanks Salami..thats very helpful..but i gotta save up some more..spent my life saving on this baby..

KC

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ace_Jellyfish said:
taking the stickers off the dorado should save some weight and make it look better
Thats not a good idea. The stickers add a little bit more imapct protection to the fork. I have personally wrecked a pair of 03 doraods from a tank slap so the carbon is torsionally strong but doesn't have good imapct resistance. Leave it the way it is. Make sure you run bumpers with the fork.

The carbon DH bar is only 10 or 20 grams lighter, not worth it IMO. And unless your a light guy a XC carbon bar on a DH bike is not a good idea.

Don't get too hung up on the ultimate weight. Try to minimise your rotational weight though.

From the look of it you are running 2.7inch tires? If so use 2.5inch tires, there is around a 220grams differance per tire and with the sticky compounds you don't really need a 2.7. Use xc tubes as well. Check what cluster you have as well, there is about 150grams differance between an lx and an xt cluster.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cave dweller said:
From the look of it you are running 2.7inch tires? If so use 2.5inch tires, there is around a 220grams differance per tire and with the sticky compounds you don't really need a 2.7. Use xc tubes as well. Check what cluster you have as well, there is about 150grams differance between an lx and an xt cluster.
nah i m using 2.5 high roller super tacky front and 2.35 high roller super tacky rear...
so yeah..but i m using DH tubes..better change it bak to xc tubes and using an xt cluster..

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
tubless will save you alot of weight and money, also do you need a guide and bash system becasue just a boxguide with no bash might save you some weight there, otherwise snap a light weight XC ring inside your guide because you have a bash protecting it...

and seriously, a homemade tubless system will save you heaps in stationary and rolling weight so much so that you should not pass it up if your concerned about weight...

but thats a sick ride man, super jealous, have a good time on it...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.