Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SS in CO
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I was about 1/2 mile into the first trail yesterday of DORBA's 24hr Judgement Day when my frame broke. the driveline-side chainstay broke off where it meets the dropouts.:madman: now, I've talked to Brant already and he's provided me with some info on this. I'm not here to complain about Brant, or On-One, or flame anyone for "not giving me a new frame" or anything...it's NOT one of those threads. :thumbsup:

but what I do want to know is this: what other frames out there have geometry very close, if not the same as, my inbred? I'm not sure if the guy I bought my frame through is going to warrantee it, and Brant said it's kinda up to him. and since I'm in the US, I'd have to send it over to Brant to a.) get it fixed, or b.) get a partial refund towards a new frame. those are both still options because I love my bike, but I might just chalk it up to the fact that I need to just get a new frame.

I'm wondering if I should change frames if the warrantee falls through. don't get me wrong, I love my inbred, but I've not ridden anything else. is there something else out there that is just as nice, but maybe a little nicer? something around the same price? or should I stick with the Inbred geo but get a Scandal? I love the steel, but if scandium is the way to go, then I might. I guess I'm just trying to weigh my options and see what else is out there.

however, if I don't get any good ideas about this, I'm just gonna get another inbred.:D

J.

ps. a little pic of the carnage...

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
well, seems like if you have a local custom builder you could get that dropout replaced. but that's just a guess. and the sand colored inbreds are like $250 at unreal cycles right now.

·
Always Learning
9,593 Posts
jgsatl said:
well, seems like if you have a local custom builder you could get that dropout replaced. but that's just a guess. and the sand colored inbreds are like $250 at unreal cycles right now.
That would be my suggestion. Get a replacement dropout or weld the break at a frame repair place who does the work.

BB

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,234 Posts
As discussed. It's not "carnage". And if your retailer doesn't pull through anyone reasonably skilled in even MIG welding could fix it up without a problem.

Regretfully we do not currently have a distributor in the USA (Zedsport and BTI are not going forward with on-one).
wtf? what do you mean re: BTGhey and Gheysport? Will there be any way to get them? My (two) Inbreds are my favorite SSs to date.

·
Banned
448 Posts
I've ordered On-One parts directly from their website before. It works. It takes awhile to get stuff though.

My understanding is that you will still be able to get On-One that way.

It's sad that they can't find a distributor though...

·
SS in CO
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, I'm still waiting to hear from the place I purchased the frame from. Brant has been very helpful with all of this. if nothing else, I know of a bunch of guys who weld on my jeep all the time. :) so I might just get another frame and weld this one up and see how it works. any suggestions on other frames that are similar?

J.

·
Mtbr
318 Posts
I suppose that a Vassago Bandersnatch would work. It's geared, although if you got there other model the Jabberwocky it could be geared and SS. It has a more unique geometry that a lot of people seem to like.

·
SS in CO
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was looking at those. the geo doesn't seem that far off from the Inbred's though...

Vassago:
18in - 24.2" tt 29" standover, 71.0° head 73.5° seat 68.4mm bb drop 454.5 chainstay

On-One:
18in - 23.7in tt 30.9in standover 72 head 73 seat 58mm bb drop 444 chainstay

so ten mm drop on the bb and 10.5mm longer chainstays...how much of a difference is that going to make? I'm not a picky rider, and I really don't know much about geometry difference in bikes. I do know that the rockhopper 29er I rode for the rest of the day was WAY different than my bike...way too short of a TT for my liking.

J.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,992 Posts
snatch vs inbred

Jayson44 said:
I was looking at those. the geo doesn't seem that far off from the Inbred's though...

Vassago:
18in - 24.2" tt 29" standover, 71.0° head 73.5° seat 68.4mm bb drop 454.5 chainstay

On-One:
18in - 23.7in tt 30.9in standover 72 head 73 seat 58mm bb drop 444 chainstay

so ten mm drop on the bb and 10.5mm longer chainstays...how much of a difference is that going to make? I'm not a picky rider, and I really don't know much about geometry difference in bikes. I do know that the rockhopper 29er I rode for the rest of the day was WAY different than my bike...way too short of a TT for my liking.

J.
As described, these bikes will feel as different as night and day.

--Sparty

·
Registered
9 Posts
inbred vs. vassago

I have an inbred and a jabberwockey bike. They both are definetly different beast. The nod goes to the inbred in the handling department though.I noticed on the vassago with the longer chainstays it's harder to wheelie.:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.