Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have my first full 29er, after riding a 69er for a while. So here is the story:

I bought my first singlespeed frame (26") a couple of years ago from a member here, Tamjam. It was a sweet green fillet brazed Hunter with an EBB. I rode it for about a year and a half and loved it. Then one day while cleaning it I noticed a crack where the chainstay meets the dropout on the drive side, bummer! I striped the frame and moved some stuff to my Ti hardtail, which eventually I turned into a 69er rigid SS. I rode that bike all of last year and had a blast.

I kind of forgot about the Hunter frame, and it sat in my basement for at least a year. so late last year I was really itching to try a full 29er, and then it came to me. Maybe Rick can graft a 29er rear onto my trusty frame! It had to go back to him anyway for repair and a repaint. I sent him an E-mail to see what he thought, and he said 'send it out and I will see what I can do'. I also had him add full cable routing and a der. hanger. The pictures below are what he did:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more pictures

I just got the frame a couple of days ago, so it is not built up yet. Because of the original geometry, it is non-suspension corrected, but I like my singlespeeds rigid anyway. I had him add the der. hanger and full cable routing just incase I wanted to try gears, but I think most of the time it will be SS or maybe 1x3. I am still aquiring a few more parts, but I will post pictures as the build progresses. A few more pictures of the frame:

Attachments

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
bikeny said:
I bought my first singlespeed frame (26") a couple of years ago from a member here, Tamjam. It was a sweet green fillet brazed Hunter with an EBB. Maybe Rick can graft a 29er rear onto my trusty frame...and he said 'send it out and I will see what I can do'.
Whoa hang on Mark, so that thing is a mutant 29er now??? Not fair. I've kicked myself numerous times for not ordering that as a 29er in the first place. If I had only known. :madman: Seriously, every time I see a Hunter on the trails, I lament the fact that I no longer ride one. There is a red Hunter road bike on SF craigslist today for a nice price I considered buying, and I don't even ride road anymore!! I've begged the current owner of the ONE 29er Racing Couch ever made to sell it to me, but he won't part with it. Want to sell it back to me ;) ?

Did he really put a whole new rear triangle on it? That'll be an interesting bike once you build it up. Interested to hear how it rides. What fork are you going to use?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I hear ya...

bikeny said:
I like my singlespeeds rigid anyway. I will post pictures as the build progresses. A few more pictures of the frame:
Me too and am psyched to see the finale.

Rick is the Man. I had a similar experience with him and he hooked me up. He takes care of his Base hella!!! The frame is a work of art. My main request was short stays...I got 17" stays no problem, with room to spare for fat tires. The frame handles akin to a CHAMP. I have different parts here and there now but she still rides as good as ever.

You can see his ability to braze in the pics. I put my old 26er in there for Hunter content.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Beautiful stuff

Congrats, I'll be interested to see how works out for you. Rick's work is outstanding, the only 26" wheeled bike I have left is one of his custom hardtails from back in the days he worked at the Biketrip. I had him repaint and add a disc mount @ 2 years ago. Rick did it quickly, cleanly and inexpensively. I keep toying with the idea of having him build a custom 29er for me. Your post isn't helping me avoid the temptation.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I miss my Hunter too. :(

Dammit all for selling that thing. Even though it didn't really fit all that well...

I'll get another one. Someday. Hopefully, someday soon. Maybe sell the Kelly CX and grab a Hunter 'crosser? ohhhh....gears are turning now! Those Kelly's are a rare bird, and could catch good mooolah on fleabay!

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments!

Thanks for all of the compliments! You are correct, Tamjam, he put a whole new rear triangle on the frame! It was not cheap, but certainly much less than a whole new build. Besides, this frame deserved a new life and to be riden hard again! I'll sell it back to you for, how about $1000?;)

I am still deciding on some of the parts, but many of them will come from my stash. My biggest parts question was wheels. Do I get something cheap to try out this whole 29er thing, or spring for a nice set right away. BTW, I already answered the question, but would be interested in what you guys think I should do. You will have to wait for the next round of pictures, but most of the parts will be black, with some Ti thrown in for good measure! More to come next week.

Mark

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
bikeny said:
Thanks for all of the compliments! You are correct, Tamjam, he put a whole new rear triangle on the frame! It was not cheap, but certainly much less than a whole new build. Besides, this frame deserved a new life and to be riden hard again! I'll sell it back to you for, how about $1000?;)

I am still deciding on some of the parts, but many of them will come from my stash. My biggest parts question was wheels. Do I get something cheap to try out this whole 29er thing, or spring for a nice set right away. BTW, I already answered the question, but would be interested in what you guys think I should do. You will have to wait for the next round of pictures, but most of the parts will be black, with some Ti thrown in for good measure! More to come next week.

Mark
get good wheels. i started with cheap wheels and upgraded and i noticed. i think a 29er is a bit more sensitive to a cheap wheel build. it's the build not the parts that made a diff for me (stiff handbuilt wheels VS fisher wheels which still need a retensioning).

sooo... what are you going to do with the S&S coupled Ti frame???? i really like that bike.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Daaaamn, that turned out sweet. I've had it in the back of my mind to ask SyCip if they could do this with my 26" wheeled Diesel. I guess I'll have to call them now and send them this thread. I'd even be happy to ride it non-suspension corrected. I love the bike, but it's collecting dust and that'd be more feasible for me right now than selling the frame and fork and ordering up a new one; plus the SyCip is a 10th anniversary frame I bought when my son was born (it's even baby blue) so it has a special place in my heart.

Thanks for the motivation and inspiration:thumbsup: .

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couple of component pictures

Here are a couple of pictures of the first components. More to come.

jh_on_the_cape: I am riding the Ti frame right now as a 69er for the winter. I will be stealing a couple of parts from it to finish up theis bike, and then it will go back to a geared hardtail. That bike is so much fun and bombproof! If I really like this whole 29er thing, in a few years I may have to sell both of them and get a coupled Black Sheep. I can always dream!

Tamjam: what do mean 'every time I see a Hunter on the trails'? You mean you have actually seen other Hunters?? This is the only one I have EVER seen! I guess thats what i get for being on the other side of the country.

Attachments

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
bikeny said:
in a few years I may have to sell both of them.
DIBS on the Hunter!

bikeny said:
Tamjam: what do mean 'every time I see a Hunter on the trails'? You mean you have actually seen other Hunters?? This is the only one I have EVER seen! I guess thats what i get for being on the other side of the country.
I admit they are a rare bird, even out here close to his home, but I do see them often enough to not let me get over selling that one to you! I recently saw a Team DFL guy (local team) on Tam riding a grass green Hunter CX stuffed with 44c tires. Had the coolest segmented crown fork on it, specifically built to fit tires that size. They're always a conversation starter for me.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally built up!

So I finally got it all built up. Mostly used parts, a few new. Have not riden it yet, and it could be a while as we have about 4" of sleet/freezing rain on the ground right now. Anyway, more pictures below. Lighting is crappy in my basement, so better pictures to come:

Attachments

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
bikeny said:
So I finally got it all built up. Mostly used parts, a few new. Have not riden it yet, and it could be a while as we have about 4" of sleet/freezing rain on the ground right now. Anyway, more pictures below. Lighting is crappy in my basement, so better pictures to come:
Really nice Mark. So how did the geometry turn out after the conversion? What's the BB height as it's built? Think it be too slack if you put an 80mm shock on the front?

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tamjam said:
Really nice Mark. So how did the geometry turn out after the conversion? What's the BB height as it's built? Think it be too slack if you put an 80mm shock on the front?
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the geometry is (or was!). I asked Rick in a couple of E-mails and did not get a response to that question. He did say it would need a short fork, like 410 to 420 A-C, so I don't think a suspension fork is going to work. But I have not riden it yet so I don't know.

Mark

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Build list and a couple more pic's

Here is a build last an a couple more pictures. No more until I give a ride report.

Hunter frame
Pace 420mm A-C fork
King headset
Titec titanium stem
Airborne titanium bar
Airborne titanium barends
Dean titanium seatpost
WTB Laser titanium seat
Shimano XTR M952 cranks, paint removed
Shimano M952 BB
Boone titanium chainring, 34t
Boone titanium cog, 24t
Time ATAC titanium pedals
Sram PC1 chain
Shimano Deore M555 hyd. disc brakes
Oury lock on grips
Panaracer Rampage tires
WTB Laserdisc Trail rims, Pivit SS hubs (used from a Haro Mary)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First ride report!

So I was finally able to get a quick ride in on the new Hunter. Conditions were less that ideal, but it was fun anyway. Temps were about 35, and trail conditions ranged from very hard snow with some glare ice sections to crunchy snow to frozen tracked-up bumpy snow to slimey mud, very interesting! I also have not riden a singlspeed since October!

I started out with the Rampages set to 28 psi front and 30 psi rear. I quickly decided that was too much and let some air out, not sure how much, but I was probably in the mid 20s (I am about 190 with gear). I only rode for about 1 hour, but had a blast The hard snow(which is actually 3 inches of sleet that is frozen) was very smooth and fast, but I had to watch fro the darker sections, which were solid ice. The Rampages worked excellent and kept me upright the whole time. I think I had more trouble walking the hills after stalling than riding!

I still do not know what the geometry is, but it seems to ride great. Handling was perfect, not too slow, and not twitchy. I even started jumping off a few logs and rocks later in the ride that I only sometimes do on my 26" bikes (in the summer when it is dry)!

I purposely made the gearing relatively easy at 34:24, which seemed perfect. My trails seem to always be either going up or down, with no flat sections to speak of, so spinning out is not a concern. Gearing will vary depending on where I ride and my fitless level.

I predict a very fun year with this bike and can't wait to ride again (which could be a while as we just got a few inches of wet snow last night). Of course, a few more pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ride number 2!

So I finally got out for my second ride on the new 29er, and conditions were WAY worse than last time! I've been looking at all those nice pictures from Fruita, and I just had to go for a ride. The snow had all melted and it was 70 deg on Wed., so I thought I would give it a try. Unfortunately, the trails were not quite as ready as I was! Below are before and after pictures of the bike. Yes, it was pretty much dark when I finished, but it didn't matter, as I was walking most of time anyway! The trails were a very interesting consistancy of mud that I have rarely experienced. I felt like I was skiing on the downhills just trying to keep the bike upright. I had to stand and push on the flats, and whenever the trail started going up, I was walking. The only thing I can say about the bike is the Rampages worked as well as they could have considering the conditions, and It did not throw me to the ground! So looks like I will be sticking to the road for a while. Or will I: we are in the midst of a snow storm, up to 12" expected!:madman:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.