Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post in this forum....

So I'm not a big guy 5-10 160lbs. And I'm pretty happy about my fitness level and all that, but here's my problem. My thighs/quads are too muscular. Huge I tell you. How should I go about trimming them down? I feel I have unnescessary muscle there.

Long slow rides? Sure except I love to go hard and don't always have time for the three hour ride. My only other thoughts are doing more running and such. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
770 Posts
bhsavery said:

So I'm not a big guy 5-10 160lbs. And I'm pretty happy about my fitness level and all that, but here's my problem. My thighs/quads are too muscular. Huge I tell you. How should I go about trimming them down? I feel I have unnescessary muscle there.

Long slow rides? Sure except I love to go hard and don't always have time for the three hour ride. My only other thoughts are doing more running and such. Any thoughts?
How bout a picture? Is it like Hulk huge or like standard gym monkey big?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Similar issue...

I'm 5'6" and 155 lbs. I swear that 80% of my weight is in my legs. For the life of me, I can't trip my legs (especially quads) down. They're almost hulk big. Don't know what to do. I'm trying longer road rides and longer mountain rides in hopes to trim things down but no luck.

·
Ex-Clydesdale
600 Posts
Hey, let's start a club :D

I'm in the same boat. 5'11", 185 pounds (down from 211 in the summer), and I have a hellish time when I go shopping for jeans because of my legs, mainly thighs. I'm wearing "loose fit" Arizona jeans right now, and they're snug around the thighs. The ones labeled "baggy" looked like normal jeans on me. I think they're made for stick people. Just to give you an idea, I rarely do any weight training for my legs (mostly upper body), but on the leg press sled I can throw on 1100-1200 pounds and not have a problem getting out 8 reps. Built like a sprinter I guess. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Get on the road, spin a high cadence, worked for me. My genes dictate huge legs for my size, when I was a hockey player they worked great, I was one of the fastest skaters around. From there I got into running, thighs stayed huge, calfs got huge as well. From there it was into cycling, stayed huge, until this year when I did lots of road riding which brought down my leg size a fair bit. My wife now says I have 'sexy' legs, when I was a runner she didn't like them, too big.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really? cuz runners i thought had more slim legs.... Maybe its all the hockey i play that doesnt help.

Yeah I think mountain biking tends to give you more leg muscle than road due to the lower cadence, higher torque

·
Ex-Clydesdale
600 Posts
bhsavery said:
I would but i don't want to make you all jealous :p

At least I have ONE body part bigger than my thighs....
You mean that big, bulbous thing sitting on top of your neck?

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
bhsavery said:

Dont think there's much you can do. Genetics are a *****. Ive got sticks myself, just the cards we were dealt. Dont use them, muscle atrophy will set in, but that wont work.

Sean

·
Registered
189 Posts
I say don't worry about it. If you've got that much muscle in your legs, that's gotta help you in climbing. I have to say when I see guys with huge legs like that it intimidates me on the climbs...I'm always thinking "this guy's gonna drop me so quick".

As far as slimming down I'd recommend picking up running. I've started this a couple months ago and have already lost 15 pounds that I didn't think I had to lose!

BTW I'm a pretty slim guy 5'10" 155lbs. (Previously about 175lbs)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yep, genetics play a large part

I have HUGE calves, small arms. Deal with it ;)

Please do not think that power correlates with size. My strongest racer is legs that are so skinny, they are scary. I mean he doesn't even HAVE calves! Sticks, I tell you, sticks! But, there are FEW roadies [and I'm talking Pro/1/2] that could drop him on a climb. And, the funny thing is that he has a decent finishing sprint, even though we have NEVER really done much to train that.

Genetics. Training will make some changes, but the God-given starting point and metabolic infrastructure has a GREAT deal to say about our physical abilities. That's why I have enjoyed this sport...working at OVERCOMING my own mediocre genetic abilities by training harder and smarter than the competition!

·
MTBR member-at-large
132 Posts
Diet, Diet, Excercise

Same problem, here's what I did.

One year plan:

Diet: less carbs more lean protein (fish, chicken, etc.), low fats (reduce the amount of dairy intake like milk & cheese), lots of fiber (more from veggies than fruits) more whole foods, eat smaller protions more often (like 5 small meals a day, instead of 3) sut out the snacking (if you must grab something like unsalted nuts, but don't over do it).

Exercise: Lots of fat burning workouts, (say 60% of the time), cardio workouts (20-30%) and intervals (10%). Don't forget to include rest days, and get plenty of sleep (at least 6-8 hrs a night consistantly).

In 1 year I dropped 40 lbs (I'm 5-8 and went from 195 to 155). I still have large thighs/quads, but I dropped 4 inches off each thigh. I also stay away from weight training, it just makes me bulk up.

Remember, the first place your body gains weight, is the last place it will come off, so be patient.

-Greg

·
Registered
394 Posts
This might sound like a joke, but I'm actualy (sort of) serious. Would it be possible to gauge one's cycling abilities by looking at a pic of their legs? Seems like it would work to some limited degree, just get you in the ballpark. One road race did, I decided to draft off this guy with huge thighs cuz it was a flat windy course and it actualy worked well for me. I could look at him and just tell he had a lot more power to cut through the wind than I did. My legs are not big at all.

·
Registered
176 Posts
hardtail05 said:
This might sound like a joke, but I'm actualy (sort of) serious. Would it be possible to gauge one's cycling abilities by looking at a pic of their legs? Seems like it would work to some limited degree, just get you in the ballpark. One road race did, I decided to draft off this guy with huge thighs cuz it was a flat windy course and it actualy worked well for me. I could look at him and just tell he had a lot more power to cut through the wind than I did. My legs are not big at all.
NO! Please read my post above.

·
Registered
394 Posts
MTBDOC said:
NO! Please read my post above.
Hmm, yeah I did read that before. Seems strange but I have also seen examples of guys like that. I don't get it. I guess my line of thinking regarding my previous post is that a guy with huge leg muscles would have to have gotten them somehow, thus an idicator of at least some ability.

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
hardtail05 said:
Hmm, yeah I did read that before. Seems strange but I have also seen examples of guys like that. I don't get it. I guess my line of thinking regarding my previous post is that a guy with huge leg muscles would have to have gotten them somehow, thus an idicator of at least some ability.
Think of Michael Jordan. He had some of the skinniest calves in the NBA; he was even the butt of jokes. Then remember his nickname, "Air Jordan".

·
No. Just No.
5,356 Posts
hardtail05 said:
For every example (in cycling) that you could find to support superior abilities correlated to the "appearance" of fitness, I'll speculate that you could find a balancing example of performance/ability that is very poor relation to appearance of physical fitness (within reason).

Of course, we tend to selectively remember the times where what we see does support our hypotheses and forget about the ones that prove us wrong!

·
Registered
104 Posts
hardtail05 said:
Okay, how about some pix for example...

Here is Michael Rasmussen, former World Champion Mountain Biker, King of The Mountains at last years Tour De France, and overall world class climber:

Now, how about this Australian national team track racer, Sean Eadie

While I know Sean is very fast on the track, I bet 'The Chicken' (Rasmussen) would beat him to the top of a climb. I am sure both of them train intensely. Obviously, their individual genetics determine the size of their thighs, probably much more so than their training programs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.