Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kids down the street - 8 & 10 years old - who see me biking all the time were so excited to get their new "big boy" bikes for Christmas!

And when I was outside this morning, I saw them. On e-bikes. My heart just sank and my throat turned into a lump.

At least they are wearing helmets.

Eric

:(

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Unfortunately, technology doesn't often make things more challenging, bicycles included. How many kids are outside instead of sitting around the tv or iphone these days? At least they are outside...

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
The kids down the street - 8 & 10 years old - who see me biking all the time were so excited to get their new "big boy" bikes for Christmas!

And when I was outside this morning, I saw them. On e-bikes. My heart just sank and my throat turned into a lump.

Eric

That is a bummer. On the flip side a growing trend is MTB teams in high school and at the Collegiate level. That simply didn't exist when I was in school. My old high school has a very active MTB team and they ride trails their parents helped get off the ground and they all build/maintain. How awesome is that...I would have loved to access to that in high school!

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,389 Posts
Well, at least its "Fair" that they both have motors.

Wouldn't want to challenge them or have one ahead of the other.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
As mentioned , at least they are outside. My kids are not getting any if the powered stuff, someday I may let them play video games

·
Registered
342 Posts
I may be wrong but I think the OP's point was more along the lines of disappointment that in this day in age of child obesity leading to future complicated adult health issues how sad it was to see what route they (most likely parents) took instead. Just a guess. One hit the nail on the head that at least they are outside. But so what. You can play hopscotch outside. Electric bikes IMO are just as much a culprit of not letting kids get out and exercise as video games. Parents are enabling their kids to find any other reason to NOT be active even though they think at the time it's a "cool" choice. Or whatever.

Case in point: I went through Marine bootcamp in the fall of 1981. During that time era there were no video games. You had at best 4-5 channels on TV. We had no A/C. So what did we do? We LIVED outside without our siblings, cousins, and friends playing everything from A-Z. ALL Day. EVERY Day. Playing sports in elementary and high school were natural options for me as well. So bootcamp physically for me was not that hard. Demanding and challenging? Absolutely. But because I was accustomed to being outside AND active most of my life I made it through unscathed. About 5 years ago I ran into an (current) Marine Corps Drill Instructor and he said it was pathetic the quality of men physically they get now. Almost 75% grew up never being active growing up which resulting in a high number of "Drops" where recruits get pushed back to another new Platoon to hopefully get in better shape. OR, the infamous "PCP" Platoon as it was called - Physical conditioning Platoon. But us recruits called it the Pork Chop Platoon! Out of shape recruits who just could not hang with the physical demands.

I know that may be a far stretch but you get the point. All kids are not going into the Marines or any branch of service granted. lol. But you can see very clearly the trend from an early childhood beginning.

That's my .2 cents worth.

Reactions: terrasmak

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Clever parents.

You see 10 year old never remember to charge anything, so they'll run those bikes flat and keep riding.

The extra weight and drag will make them strong, by the time they're 14 they'll be out sprinting motorbikes...

·
Registered
932 Posts
While there are complaints about e-bikes, there is even a bigger issue not being observed; which is the amount of metal laying around in the form of unused, or unusable, bikes.

I'd imagine, that as I write this, there are probably close to enough unusable bikes that could cover the surface area of Delaware, maybe even Connecticut!

We need to get it collected and get it in the furnace for recycling!

·
CrgCrkRyder
2,371 Posts
That is a bummer. On the flip side a growing trend is MTB teams in high school and at the Collegiate level. That simply didn't exist when I was in school. My old high school has a very active MTB team and they ride trails their parents helped get off the ground and they all build/maintain. How awesome is that...I would have loved to access to that in high school!
That subject came up on our annual New Years Day ride yesterday. There is a whole generation of new riders coming up that are awesome. They are not riding e-bikes. Kudos to the parents that have gotten this going.

As far as e-bikes, at least in our area there are few legal trails for them to ride on public lands. A couple of 4-wheeler trails you have to drive a long way to or private land. At least for now, they will be riding on the road or poaching.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is sad. It's so easy to get them outside. It's all about setting the example. When my oldest was in 4th grade a person on a motorized bike passed us as we were riding to school. She looked at me and asked, what's the point? He's not even getting any exercise. I was quite happy to hear her say that.

Semper Fi Old Man Biker.

·
I didn't do it
9,465 Posts
E-tricycles should be hitting the market any day now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my son his first mountain bike when he was 8, a Trek hard tail, we rode the local trails and he plugged along, a few years later got him a Motobecane and he was able to keep up with me and my riding group, this past year for his 15th Birthday he got a Stumpy, now he waits for me!…lol

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
While there are complaints about e-bikes, there is even a bigger issue not being observed; which is the amount of metal laying around in the form of unused, or unusable, bikes.

I'd imagine, that as I write this, there are probably close to enough unusable bikes that could cover the surface area of Delaware, maybe even Connecticut!

We need to get it collected and get it in the furnace for recycling!
Global warming, the Middle East, and bikes that need to be thrown in the furnace. Three things that keep me up at night. Oh, and cat juggling too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,421 Posts

Eric

I think a firm and stern talk with the parents is in order. What are you doing posting on here when you should be at their front door causing a neighborhood disturbance. ;)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think a firm and stern talk with the parents is in order.
That would only piss them off. They just spent a ton of money to buy these things for their kids, so what do you expect them to do now?

They will figure it out themselves around the 5th or 6th time they get a call, "Momeeee, please come get us, the battery ran down.''

Or the kids will figure it out when they try to make that call and find that their phones don't work in the middle of nowhere, so they actually have to pedal or push those beasts home.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,421 Posts
That would only piss them off. They just spent a ton of money to buy these things for their kids, so what do you expect them to do now?

They will figure it out themselves around the 5th or 6th time they get a call, "Momeeee, please come get us, the battery ran down.''

Or the kids will figure it out when they try to make that call and find that their phones don't work in the middle of nowhere, so they actually have to pedal or push those beasts home.
I was joking > ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts