Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My chris king headset had worn some small grooves on my steere, on my pike fork.

I run 4 spacers, under the stem, because i need a pretty upright position.

I do ride pretty technical stuff.

Would a Cane Creek 110 headset be better, as far as i can see, it has more parts, so maybe it clambs the steere better ????

I have changed the rubber o-ring in the top-cap of the chris king head-set, but i dont know if it will make any difference.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Ditch the King. It's the problem.

King has been a great headset for many years, but the newer bikes, with their longer forks, are too much for the King's O-ring bearing cap to handle. The O-ring allows too much movement, and this has become a problem due to the added leverage these longer forks produce.

I had this problem with my King headsets on 100mm 29er forks. Many other people have had this issue. I recommend the Cane Creek 110 or any headset that uses C.C.s patent. These headsets use a split ring that prevents any movement, and scarring, of the steerer.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
you're not the only one, ive seen lots of people comment on scratched steer tubes.. my lowly s3 cane creek doesnt scratch anything.

ive got a feeling you just opened the floodgates to hell criticizing a king headset though :lol:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys, great help, fine explanation.
-just a thought, i could leave the bottom chris king bearing, and just put a cane creek bearing top on ???
-then i only will piss of half of the chris king folks :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
jeb said:
-just a thought, i could leave the bottom chris king bearing, and just put a cane creek bearing top on ???
Thats what I did not too long ago. King on bottom, FSA on top. I didn't forsee any problems because they work independently of eachother.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.