Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a roadie, through and through. I recently started mountain biking again after quite a hiatus, thinking that it would be "relatively easy" to make the transition. After all, I've got the legs right?

Wrong. Very wrong.

I applaud you, all of you mountain bikers that have technical handling abilities that I can only dream about (and never need) on the road. Sure I can push big watts up a hill, but it doesn't mean jack when you are trying to navigate a rock and a fallen tree all while going up that hill.

I've honestly never been so frustrated on a bike in my life. And with this frustration, respect has risen for this community.

You guys and gals are awesome. Maybe one day I'll figure this trail thing out.

Rant: Over. Carry on.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Customfab and Mr. Blonde are right. There are some incredible riders here. But to avoid inflating their egos, I tell them they suck. A bike park can do wonders for your skills.

I find myself repeatedly recommending Lee McCormak's book.

Amazon.com: Mastering Mountain Bike Skills - 2nd Edition (9780736083713): Brian Lopes, Lee McCormack: Books

Also, if you feel like a mountain bike trip you could come out west and train with Lee or Gene Hamilton. Both are highly regarded.

Mountain Bike School, Mountain Bike Camps, coaching by Betterride

Lee Likes Bikes

Mountain biking takes practice and dedication and beer.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
As someone who rides both (I am a mountain biker than rides road 1-2 a month) I know what you mean. You are conditioned for two different things in the two sports. That's why I ride both. My mountain biking improved dramatically when I started road riding... so you should learn pretty quickly.

·
see me rollin, they hatin
4,619 Posts
hats off to YOU. i cant really road bike. well,i can...but i'm afraid of cars for one thing, and i'm used to short hard bursts of energy, not long sustained pedaling. i think my logest road ride was 42 miles adn it wasnt easy. my ass and hips hurt very bad. however, a 4 hour mtb ride seems easier. go figure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's funny how different they are physically when you are doing the exact same thing: pedaling.

I crashed bad a few years back on the road and had to go to the hospital. However, after a short 1.5 hr ride on the single track Saturday I was bleeding more then when I crashed on pavement! Go figure.

·
No. Just No.
5,405 Posts
It's funny how different they are physically when you are doing the exact same thing: pedaling.

I crashed bad a few years back on the road and had to go to the hospital. However, after a short 1.5 hr ride on the single track Saturday I was bleeding more then when I crashed on pavement! Go figure.
Road-style fitness helps with MTBing, while MTB fitness can often help with road riding. Technical skills are more obvious on the trails, but racing on the road can require some pretty serious handling skills also, in ways that may be more subtle. Even in casual road riding good skills can sure come in handy at times to avoid hazards, navigate through questionable choices by drivers, and avoid spills on group rides!

Whether it's road or dirt, some riders just choose to pay more attention to development of skills than others.

It's all good.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
I'm a roadie, through and through. I recently started mountain biking again after quite a hiatus, thinking that it would be "relatively easy" to make the transition. After all, I've got the legs right?

Wrong. Very wrong.

I applaud you, all of you mountain bikers that have technical handling abilities that I can only dream about (and never need) on the road. Sure I can push big watts up a hill, but it doesn't mean jack when you are trying to navigate a rock and a fallen tree all while going up that hill.

I've honestly never been so frustrated on a bike in my life. And with this frustration, respect has risen for this community.

I too am coming back to MTBing (because of a recent availability of trails since I moved).
For me, I went from BMX to MTB's to a long time off of bikes, to MTB to RB & now,
back to MTB's (though I'm sure RBiking will be my mainstay).

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
I think that attitude and wanting to have fun doing something new will help you more than just focusing on skill building. Of course, different exercises and practices will move you a long way, but having fun is what will move you to learn new things and make it worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
meh....

you'll figure out the techy stuff (and have fun doing it)...

then get all 'nonchalant' on brutal fire road climbs carrying on conversations, keeping the pace of a billy goat on crack....

when the rest of us, attempt desperately, to keep from hurling through a clenched grimace....silently cursing you...

damn you....damn you to hell....

;)

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
hats off to YOU. i cant really road bike. well,i can...but i'm afraid of cars for one thing, and i'm used to short hard bursts of energy, not long sustained pedaling. i think my logest road ride was 42 miles adn it wasnt easy. my ass and hips hurt very bad. however, a 4 hour mtb ride seems easier. go figure.
How "I" roll in NYC... ;)

·
see me rollin, they hatin
4,619 Posts
How "I" roll in NYC... ;)

i'd crap my pants. not to mention, when i was a kid riding downtown, i got my foot stuck on my pedal, panicked, and dumped my whole body over into traffic. luckily nobody was coming, but i'll never forget how scary that was. thats one of the reasons i wont clip in for the busy road stuff.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Don't be so down on yourself, road cycling requires skills that i'll never master in my lifetime.

What you will soon realise though, is that compared to riding a mountain bike in the wild, road biking is sh1t :p

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
i'd crap my pants. not to mention, when i was a kid riding downtown, i got my foot stuck on my pedal, panicked, and dumped my whole body over into traffic. luckily nobody was coming, but i'll never forget how scary that was. thats one of the reasons i wont clip in for the busy road stuff.
:lol:

For me, it's exhilarating!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.