Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Appears to be a repainted and redecaled aluminum frame from 94-5 vintage. Could be an Avalanche, Pantera, Backwoods or Tempest frame.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,453 Posts
Agreed.

I had a 93 Backwoods that was exactly the same, minus the replaceable read derailleur hanger.

Note that frame still has the noodle on the seat tube for rear centre pull brakes - which means it either predates V brakes or was a lower specced bike that still had old style cantis - so yeah, 95 ish.

Later than that the gusset was moved to below the down tube / head tube junction, too.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,453 Posts
Here's a scan of my old Backwoods.
The frame is very similar to yours - but the dropouts are different.

I notice your bike has the old LX derailleur too - pre 96 from memory, when a whole bunch of new Shimano stuff came out - including V brakes.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The last year for the 2-bolt der. hanger was 1995.
V-brakes came out in 96.
It should have either 7005 or 6061 stamped inside the rear dropout. That will help narrow the model down. Defnitely looks like it's been repainted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi!
appreciated the picture and the information.
Yes the bike was repainted, the original colour declared by the older owner is aluminun (without painting - only protection layer)

thanks a lot.

Does anybody risk to say what model is it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
your bike is a

1993 avalanche Al or Pantera Al
or its a
1994 Avalanche Al or Terramoto.

I guess your serial # (under the BB shell) looks somewhat like H3(NOW a A or the alphabet down to K)012345

As a rough estimate i'ld say its rather a 1993 model than the 1994 line. because at the zaskars gt changed the riveted last brake cable stops in 1993.

The Dropout says pre 1996 and no backwoods in 1994 had a replacable Dhanger. definitely no riveted cable stops on 1995 aluminum gt bikes.

SO:
if you go from the only time correct component on your bike the rear derailleur and say this is was a OEm part that came with the bike when it left gts holy halls its a 1994 Avalanche AL

If you say the gusset is your defining attribute its a 1994 Terramoto or any of the two 93 models.

if you can find blue paint in the bB shell or the headtube its a 1993 Pantera, if its ti colour its the 1993 Avalanche AL and if its Silver PAINT that you find its either a 1993 Avalanche Al or the 1994 Terramoto. If you find dark blue rather purple paint its too a terramoto. If its naked, bare aluminum that you see, and if it isnt polished but brushed the Repainter did his job right and cleaned the wholeframe. it its nearly shiny aluminum its a 1993 avalanche al or the painter stripped the original colour chemically.

All models should be stamped 7005 at the area of teh rear DO's

of course a serial with H4g012345 cant be a 1993 model. :nono:

That said i have to say a last thing: it doesnt matter since there was nearly no difference in the frames of those bikes....:eekster:

:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.