Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
161 - 180 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bryguy17 said:
after some prodding from LeeL, I finally got a picture of my mount setup. enjoy:

that's just the headband strap that comes with the helmet hero, with the upper part removed (it slides off the clip. took me a bit to figure that out) there's a piece of tube behind the mounting brackets to prevent slippage/pad the helmet from scratching.
Bry, did you use the extenders instead of mounting the camera directly to the mount just to get a better angle?

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
LeeL said:
The beta version I have implements support for SDHC cards. You can use 8GB cards. Purportedly improves white balance too but I couldn't tell the difference
Cool. Thanks for the info.
I had heard that larger cards already worked, but I haven't tried any.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
my 1st shot at GoPro (despite the sternum-strap issue)

I just got my GoPro, and here's my 1st attempt with it... :D (With kinda silly scenes, I know, but just for some fun/chuckle/joke.)

Crack o' Dawn from PiroChu on Vimeo.

Instead of other helmet cams, I decided on GoPro because of Chesty. Personally I really like the chest-cam angle as seen on videos in this thead (& one Pinkbike VOD last week). So, instead of the "Hemlet HERO Wide" package ($190) plus accessories, I just bought the "Wide HERO" ($140) + Chesty ($40) + Roll Bar Mount ($30). And, per this post about batteries, I was gonna pick up Sanyo enelope recharger/battery kit ($30/Costco), but ended up with Duracell recharger/battery kit ($10/Costco) for the price.

First, I'd like to thank Brian Mullin's review for overview, Lee Lau's review for setup/usability, and posters in this thread for additional tips/ideas. By the time I received my GoPro in the mail, I'd read enough to jump start with it better. I was more informed/aware of the setup/mount angles (despite no instant-play screen) even on my 1st time with it this morning.

Thankfully, following the tip, I taped a piece of form behind/bottom of the Chesty plate for better angle. (I had the bottom of the Chesty plate rest over my chest cavity, by the way. Is that where people mean "center/middle" of chest? Any pics of sternum strap with Chesty?) Unfortunately, despite my having read & re-read all the pointers, I somehow failed to take care of the sternum strap issue - doh! - as appearant in this video (especially on very steep sections). :cryin: I'll surely have to remember that from next time.

I had to do one thing with Roll Bar Mount. One of the arms couldn't be tightened enough to be stable, as it looked like the bolt was bottoming out on the nut. So, I jammed a washer, and now it "bites" to hold it. (Anyone else had this issue?) Also, I kinda wish that - in general (not just w/ Roll Bar pieces) - the nut piece is somehow secured in its seat. I'm afraid to lose it while swapping attachment around on the trails. (I'm sure somebody lost some in the woods. Any mod's to secure it?)

Another self-observation of this video is as already described in Lee's review about low/mixed light. Early morning sun light thru the woods creates too much shadow/light contrast for the camera. Probably not the best time for filming (but not much choice for me on this - see "PS." below).

As for sound, I've not drilled out the case yet (or not even taking out the white rubber seal). When on Chesty, there was barely any sound. When on the downtube (via Roll Bar Mount), I can hear some vibration noise. So, for this video editing, I just muted all sounds. (By the way, I didn't use any image stabilization software for this video editing.)

As for video editing tips from Lee's review, I tried to mix different angles on the 1st trail, as it's easy to run many laps there. On the other hand, the 2nd & 3rd trails are not easily repeatable (once you're at the bottom, you're done), so just one angle (Chesty) is all I got. By the way, I just used the Windows-freebie Movie Maker (nothing fancy like Adobe).

Finally, I (unintentionally :blush: ) crash-tested it as seen on this video, and it's good to know that it survived fine.

Though it looks like I need a bit more practice (sternum strap!), this really is a fun lil' camera.

Cheers,
- PiroChu

PS.
"Crack o' Dawn" joke is that lately I've been riding solo early-Sat mornings (per wife/daughter duty) and I've not seen my normal-hour riding friends. ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
PiroChu said:
I just got my GoPro, and here's my 1st attempt with it... :D (With kinda silly scenes, I know, but just for some fun/chuckle/joke.)

Crack o' Dawn from PiroChu on Vimeo.
What a great video! Great riding also!

PiroChu said:
PS.
"Crack o' Dawn" joke is that lately I've been riding solo early-Sat mornings (per wife/daughter duty) and I've not seen my normal-hour riding friends. ;)
I'm right there with you. It's 4:52 AM and I'm getting ready to get on the bike.

·
Mulleticious
1,495 Posts
If that's your first attempt I can't wait to see your future vids. Good mix of angles. Well thought out.

Cool trail too with some hairy jumps - I know you didn't intend it but that crash kind of makes the video! (You're not related to Tarantino are you? :thumbsup: )

Let's see some more! :D

·
urbantrailridingroadie
502 Posts
pirochu, nice vid! I like the opening scene as well as the riding. wishing I had trails like that in my neck of my woods.

was that the roll bar mount you used on the downtube?

looking forward to more great trails, and vids...keep them coming!!

-tep

·
Registered
112 Posts
PiroChu said:
I had to do one thing with Roll Bar Mount. One of the arms couldn't be tightened enough to be stable, as it looked like the bolt was bottoming out on the nut. So, I jammed a washer, and now it "bites" to hold it. (Anyone else had this issue?) Also, I kinda wish that - in general (not just w/ Roll Bar pieces) - the nut piece is somehow secured in its seat. I'm afraid to lose it while swapping attachment around on the trails. (I'm sure somebody lost some in the woods. Any mod's to secure it?)
I also had the issue with not being able to tighten the bolt down enough and my camera dropping on hard landings. To fix it I replaced the cap nut with a regular nut. I suggest you take the screw and nut and go to a hardware store and buy a bunch of replacements because if you're like me and change mounts out on the trail, you're going to lose some parts.

Nice vid BTW.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
Q: Chesty & sternum strap ?

Hi folks,

Thanks much for your nice comments on the vid. It was certainly my 1st filming with the GoPro cam (alhough it wasn't my 1st time editing a video, per se), and that was a lot of fun (except..., again, for the sternum strap issue).

And thanks for the "nut" feedback (& early-morning comment), too - good to know it wasn't just me. ;)

Anyway, before I go out next time with my GoPro, I need to get some more pointers from you guys with Chesty, please. What did you find as the best way to keep the sternum strap away from the camera's view? Lee Lau's review recommends "under" (to "hook it under", like below pic?) the camera. Or would it be better if placed "behind" the Chesty straps? (Would the latter isolate the pack movement better than the former?) :confused:

"UNDER"

"BEHIND"

Thanks again,
- PiroChu

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
LeeL said:
I have my sternum strap quite a bit lower then you
Thanks, Lee. I wonder if it's that my sternum strap is higher than your, or if it's that my Chesty is located lower than yours? :confused:

I mean, my sternum strap can't really go much lower than where it is on my pack. And, as I posted, the bottom of Chesty (where the piece of form is taped) is located on my chest cavity.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
My 2nd shot at GoPro (resolved the sternum-strap issue)

Hi folks,

I just went out on a quick ride. While at it, I decided to briefly try out the "behind" routing for the sternum strap with Chesty. As my 2nd attempt with GoPro/Chesty, I was relieved to see that the annoying sternum-strap issue was resolved this time - phew! :thumbsup:

Anyway, here's a lil' sequel to "Crack o' Dawn".
So I went looking for my watch that I had lost previously. Unfortunately I didn't find it, but...!?!? :eekster:

Where's My Watch? from PiroChu on Vimeo.

Since I was really just filming to experiment with my sternum strap (& was running out of time/sunlight), I only got one single-angle footage this time. (I know, sorry: same Chesty angle & same trail again = "Boring!" :yawn: ) Initially I wasn't even thinking of making a video out of this boring 'sternum-strap experiment' footage, but later decided to have a lil' fun mainly with video editing after all. I just left the sound (or faint noise) from the camera in there this time. As for sunlight through the woods, it was a bit dark for the camera at 7pm, but at least it was more consistent this time. (I picked up trash along the way. ;) )

At some point, I'd also like to try Lee Lau's "reverse Chesty" angle (no rush)...

Cheers,
- PiroChu

·
Mulleticious
1,495 Posts
PiroChu said:
Hi folks,

I just went out on a quick ride. While at it, I decided to briefly try out the "behind" routing for the sternum strap with Chesty. As my 2nd attempt with GoPro/Chesty, I was relieved to see that the annoying sternum-strap issue was resolved this time - phew! :thumbsup:

Anyway, here's a lil' sequel to "Crack o' Dawn".
So I went looking for my watch that I had lost. I didn't find it, but...!?!? :eekster:
Since I was really just filming to experiment with my sternum strap (& was running out of time/sunlight), I only got one single-angle footage this time. (I know, sorry: same Chesty angle & same trail again = "Boring!":yawn: ) Initially I wasn't even thinking of making a video out of this boring 'sternum-strap experiment' footage, but later decided to have a lil' fun mainly with video editing after all. I just left the sound (or faint noise) from the camera in there this time. As for sunlight through the woods, it was a bit dark at 7pm, but at least it was more consistent this time.

Eventually I'd still like to try Lee Lau's "reverse Chesty" angle some time (no rush)...

Cheers,
- PiroChu
PiroChu, alias Tarantino - you're so modest. Another great film - the wife and I cracked up at the Sasquatch - where did you get that shot from??!! :D

Seriously, please tell me how high those drops are - they look fairly significant.

Have you thought about using YouTube instead of Vimeo - for some reason I think it gives slightly better quality, especially if using the "High Quality" setting when you "save it to your computer" after editing in WMM.

Can't wait for the next one :thumbsup:

161 - 180 of 353 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.