Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
181 - 200 of 353 Posts

·
www.swampclub.org
Joined
·
439 Posts
brumski said:
Helmet cam footage with a GoPro Wide from opening day on 6.26.09 @ Marquette Mountain. The trail is Lower Hemi and is in my opinion the best trail on the hill.
Wow! Excellent view from way up there. Nice trail. It's unreal that the camera is so steady. What kid of mount are you using?
I don't remember how it feels to go downhill for any length of time anymore. We don't have that luxury in Florida. Maybe it's time for me to take a trip!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
anthonyi said:
Wow! Excellent view from way up there. Nice trail. It's unreal that the camera is so steady. What kid of mount are you using?
I don't remember how it feels to go downhill for any length of time anymore. We don't have that luxury in Florida. Maybe it's time for me to take a trip!
I customized the Headlamp-Style Head Strap mount that came with my Hero. I drilled a hole into the mount and secured it under my fullface helmet visor with double sided tape and the helmet visor bolt, right where the bolt is to adjust the visor. This way it is centered on the helmet and is not sticking out to the side, kind of offers a bit of protection for the camera as well.



 

·
www.swampclub.org
Joined
·
439 Posts
brumski said:
I customized the Headlamp-Style Head Strap mount that came with my Hero.
Great idea. Thanks.
I had to remove my helmet mount. The extra weight was bothering my head, as my helmet is designed to be very light, and has very little padding; but I may attempt it again - just because your video is so stable.
My chest mount (modified mount - attached to my CamelPak), is a bit shaky, and I am looking to reduce the shake before I attempt another video.
I have a handlebar mount set up on my new bike, but I haven't tried it out yet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,704 Posts
brumski said:
Helmet cam footage with a GoPro Wide from opening day on 6.26.09 @ Marquette Mountain. The trail is Lower Hemi and is in my opinion the best trail on the hill.
brumski - that was sick. You must have been within 2 bikelengths of the guy in front. Lots of confidence in him to be that close - made for very nice footage
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
LeeL said:
brumski - that was sick. You must have been within 2 bikelengths of the guy in front. Lots of confidence in him to be that close - made for very nice footage
Thanks LeeL! Yeah my buddy has mad skills, and I never see him crash. Staying close helps with the perspective in the video, cause the wide angle lens lessens the height on the drops and jumps. We're heading back up in 2 weeks and should have alot more footage. I'll be sure to post as soon as we get back.
 

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
spencerfrater1 said:
Seriously, please tell me how high those drops are - they look fairly significant.
Not sure how high exactly, but here's a pic (a vid frame) of a friend from 2yrs ago. (Nothing too crazy like North Shore or Whistler, but this is about my max anyway... :blush: )


I agree with LeeL that Chesty makes things look like 2ft. Ideally in a video, I should mix different moving views (Chesty/helmet, frame/bar, etc) plus a tripod setup for corresponding side views. Certainly that would be nicer..., although that's probably a bit too much work for me with only time-limited early-morning rides nowadays . :p Well, maybe some day...

Glad you (& your wife) got a laughter out of the 2nd video, thanks! ;)
- PiroChu

PS.
I just tried to saved both videos as "High quality video (large)" via Movie Maker, and they came out to be 205MB and 62MB (vs 44MB and 24MB save as the default "Best quality for playback on my computer (recommended)" setting as originally shown above). Although YouTube's HD is nice, they'd strip off the music per copyrights issue, so I'd've ended up with a silent video on there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
5H0CK3R said:
Bry, did you use the extenders instead of mounting the camera directly to the mount just to get a better angle?
sorry it took a while to get back to you. I'm real flaky on checking this thread.

but yeah, I used the extender so that I could adjust the angle more precisely. it also helped get the camera out of my field of view. if you put it on in the normal way, it doesn't get low enough, and sticks up and block your view.

plus, with it on the extender, you can easily flip it around for a face shot of the rider. that's a hard shot to aim though...
 

·
www.swampclub.org
Joined
·
439 Posts
PiroChu said:
PS.
"Crack o' Dawn" joke is that lately I've been riding solo early-Sat mornings (per wife/daughter duty) and I've not seen my normal-hour riding friends. ;)
I just watched your video again. Awesome video - puts mine to shame!
For some reason, the first song is still stuck in my head - every time someone says "Good job". Catchy tune. Thanks for sharing.
 

·
www.swampclub.org
Joined
·
439 Posts
anthonyi said:
My chest mount (modified mount - attached to my CamelPak), is a bit shaky, and I am looking to reduce the shake before I attempt another video.
I have a handlebar mount set up on my new bike, but I haven't tried it out yet.
Well, my last attempt at a handlebar mount was also too shaky.
After again watching some of the awesome videos from LeeL and PiroChu, I've decided that the GoPro CamelPak mount is not the way to go, nor is a raised handlebar mount. (Besides, I recently traded my CamelPak in for a Wingnut Assault).

I really like the stability of a more solid mount, so I have decided to try a new design for my handlebar mount. Here is my newest version. I'm sure this one will be rock-solid, thanks to some rubber tubing, 5-minute epoxy, and a clamp from Home Depot.https://networkflorida.com/public/mount1.jpg
https://networkflorida.com/public/mount2.jpg
I should be able to shoot a video next weekend. I'll post it if it's decent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Just a quick tip that I figured out with the GoPro mount. I found that the snap connector, when fully inserted, still had a tiny bit of play. I wasn't sure if that tiny movement would make a difference but I wanted to check. I used a small shim of cardboard inserted between the connector and mount and that tightened everything solid. After capturing some more footage on a run I had filmed earlier, I compared the two and I could spot a noticeable improvement in the stability.

So if you have any movement in the mount, tighten it down as much as possible, and add a shim between the connector.

Cheers.

p.s. This was all tested with the helmet mount.
 

·
redefined
Joined
·
278 Posts
Bryguy17 said:
here's one of my better ones. all done with my gopro, mostly mounted on the chin guard of my full face helmet. that's all using the headstrap with the top strap (the one that goes over your head) removed. a bit of inner tube behind the mount gave it some good grip on the helmet.


Bootleg Canyon from Bryan on Vimeo.

I like that angle though. you can adjust it around to look back at the rider, and it gives you a lower, faster feeling video than if the camera is on top of the helmet.
Bry, great video. Considering the speed you were traveling and the rough terrain you were on that video is pretty impressive for a $150 camera. I just picked up a GoPro Helmet Hero Wide and I'm looking forward to playing around with it. Nice thread guys.
 

·
www.swampclub.org
Joined
·
439 Posts
hanskellner said:
Just a quick tip that I figured out with the GoPro mount. I found that the snap connector, when fully inserted, still had a tiny bit of play. I wasn't sure if that tiny movement would make a difference but I wanted to check. I used a small shim of cardboard inserted between the connector and mount and that tightened everything solid. After capturing some more footage on a run I had filmed earlier, I compared the two and I could spot a noticeable improvement in the stability.

So if you have any movement in the mount, tighten it down as much as possible, and add a shim between the connector.

Cheers.

p.s. This was all tested with the helmet mount.
Good thought. I will try damping that vibration with Fun Tak
(Sticky, easily removable, putty-like stuff, that you can buy at any office supply store).
 

·
www.swampclub.org
Joined
·
439 Posts
New, simple mount for the GoPro Wide

anthonyi said:
Well, my last attempt at a handlebar mount was also too shaky.
After again watching some of the awesome videos from LeeL and PiroChu, I've decided that the GoPro CamelPak mount is not the way to go, nor is a raised handlebar mount. (Besides, I recently traded my CamelPak in for a Wingnut Assault).
I really like the stability of a more solid mount, so I have decided to try a new design for my handlebar mount. Here is my newest version. I'm sure this one will be rock-solid, thanks to some rubber tubing, 5-minute epoxy, and a clamp from Home Depot.
https://networkflorida.com/public/mount1.jpg
https://networkflorida.com/public/mount2.jpg
Here's the first video with my new mount. Very solid, very inexpensive. (Mount pictures above - Video below.)
We were biking North Creek trail at Alafia State Park (which is very bumpy) with the GoPro Wide camera.
NOTE: The lime-green slime on the right side (towards the end of the video) is swamp, filled with alligators (haven't seen one yet). Of course, we are careful NOT to fall in these areas anyway.
 

·
www.swampclub.org
Joined
·
439 Posts
tep said:
don't know how many of you have used your cam for other things besides mtb'ing [hey now keep it clean :) ], I used mine just the other day in the pool with the kids. I took pix and video. Really impressed with the quality and multi-use of this camera.

Don't really want to post pics of me or my kids in the pool, but if you haven't used your GoPro for other interests, give it a shot. It would be fun to see what you are using it for...post some pix or video, if you care to.

-tep
Thanks for the input, but it's probably best if we post non-MTB videos on forums like this one:
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/
 

·
urbantrailridingroadie
Joined
·
502 Posts
anthonyi said:
Thanks for the input, but it's probably best if we post non-MTB videos on forums like this one:
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/
didn't even know that existed.

cool deal.

just being curious as to what others use their cam for besides mtb'ing.

no worries.

-tep

and just not to offend, I deleted previous posts.
 

·
www.swampclub.org
Joined
·
439 Posts
tep said:
didn't even know that existed.
cool deal.
just being curious as to what others use their cam for besides mtb'ing.
no worries.
-tep
and just not to offend, I deleted previous posts.
No problem at all.
I intend to take mine kayaking this weekend. ;)
 
181 - 200 of 353 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top