Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I asked this question and did not get a response from my posting so I'm asking it as a new thread in hopes that I will get the answer soon. I also have been pointed towards going and checking out the Clydesdale forum and that they will be able to give the advice I need. So not only will I be placing this in the Beginner's Corner but also in the Clydesdale forum to widen the response I need so I can begin once again to ride. I have two bike shops near me and a few more that aren't so near. One dealer sells Trek Bike's and the other sells Specialized Bike's. I know that if I go to the first dealer whoever that will be that they will want to sell what they stock as their brand. So I'm hoping that by asking here that I will get the answers needed to make a intelligent decision in purchasing my bike.
Here goes, most of the bikes I have seen and told about are Trek and Specialized bikes.
Which make is the better one?
What are the difference between a Specialized P1 all mountain and the Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Crosstrail and Specialized Stumpjumper?
The difference between a Trek Mountain Hardtail and the Trek Mountain Full-Suspension?
Or what is the difference between a mountain bike and the hybrids, and comfort bikes?
I’m a person being 6’1 tall with the weight of 330 pounds. I use to be 385 and have gone on a diet to lose the extra weight I don’t need. I use to ride a bike and I only weigh 185 pounds. I may never get back down to that weight again but if I can even get closer to that weight from where I’m at now will be a plus. Also thinking that riding a bike is both low impact and fun at the same time. I went to the Clydesdale forum and took a look at some of the photo’s of your bikes and found them all amazing. Also with so many different designs that I was seeing too, pose more questions for me about designs. I want to ride the bike on pavement to lose some of this weight and endurance. After I use to riding and I have trimmed down I would like to take it on trails in the back woods here in Florida and Wyoming for some of the Mountain Trails there. Anybody been on the Medicine Bow Mountain Trail in Wyoming?
I know that this letter has been long but having your viewpoints to guide me is priceless. So thank you all in advance for your help and thanks given to me so far. I do appreciate it !
Tom

:D

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
So many questions.
Comfort bikes you ride for a Sunday cruise for coffee at the beach.

Hybrids! Well you don't buy them.

Mountain bikes vary depending on where they are ridden. Cross country, All Mountain (ride them up and down mountains) or Downhill plus a couple of other types 4X. street, park and jump etc.

You bike shop will sell you what you need when you describe where you will be riding.

Trek or Specialized both great bikes. Might get down to which is the best shop to buy from eg free services for a year or who is having a sale.

Trust your bike shops talk to both.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Firstly - you don't need full suspension - you want to put the miles in on pavement so stick to front suspension only. It would be worth getting some slick tyres for that pavement riding - tarmac and knobbly tyres is a real drag in every sense of the word. You just need the bike shop to take your size into their thinking and ensure they will support your bike as you go. They know you'll be hard on anything they recommend, but they are worth listening to and seeing where they push you - as opposed to a random internet forum who have never met you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mitzikatzi said:
So many questions.
Comfort bikes you ride for a Sunday cruise for coffee at the beach.

Hybrids! Well you don't buy them.

Mountain bikes vary depending on where they are ridden. Cross country, All Mountain (ride them up and down mountains) or Downhill plus a couple of other types 4X. street, park and jump etc.

You bike shop will sell you what you need when you describe where you will be riding.

Trek or Specialized both great bikes. Might get down to which is the best shop to buy from eg free services for a year or who is having a sale.

Trust your bike shops talk to both.
Thanks for your answer. I did make my Post with a lot of questions. In the future I will try to narrow them. I know the type of bike I want now but will check them out by going to the different dealers that stock the different brands.

Thanks again,
Tom :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TooTallUK said:
Firstly - you don't need full suspension - you want to put the miles in on pavement so stick to front suspension only. It would be worth getting some slick tyres for that pavement riding - tarmac and knobbly tyres is a real drag in every sense of the word. You just need the bike shop to take your size into their thinking and ensure they will support your bike as you go. They know you'll be hard on anything they recommend, but they are worth listening to and seeing where they push you - as opposed to a random internet forum who have never met you!
Hello TooTallUK,
Thanks for your reply. I will be going to the Bike shops that sell the brans I like from what I have seen here on the net. I will also discuss with them full suspension and front suspension for my riding here in Florida with Pavement and trails. I will also be asking about using the bike on trails in the Rocky Mountains. Thanks for your input on the use of various tires per use. Makes no sence to use a tire intended for trails in the Rocky Mountains to use on pavement for use in the western states or even Florida.
Thanks again,
Aye,
Tom :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts