Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was up there for a meeting, thought I'd sneak in a ride up and down the BBP. These were my objectives: 1) The easiest ride possible on a beautiful summer's day 2) Checking out the ladies strolling alongside rushing Boulder Creek 3) Re-acquainting myself with a ride I've done a thousand times in the past (in a previous century) sort of like riding through a time capsule and 4) Checking out the ladies.

No pics this time. The first thing I realized was that anybody riding a bike figured the speed limit was 25 mph including on the wrong side on blind corners. I was just out for a bike stroll and would slow down when I came up on hikers (lots of times) because I didn't want to pass them on a blind corner only to be passed by some helmet-mirror wearing geek doing, you guessed it, 25 mph.

Packs of roadies coming my direction would hog up most of both lanes and would just barely get out of my way, yammering away the whole time. In fact, all bikers (myself excluded) were the very epitome of what most civilians would call "those azzhole bikers". I was even yelling at them after awhile.

I finally decided to turn around in east Boulder and...hit some tiny rock that basically threw me OTB and I landed hard on my previously broken right wrist and left elbow. As I lay there in a heap I almost started laughing "guess I should have worn my elbow pads". One of the cute lady hikers came up to me and said "that must have hurt!". We checked for broken parts and I then headed back through the mass of azzhole bikers to my vehicle, in the rain.

If a civilians only contact with bikers was on the Boulder Bike path I can see why they'd hate all of us. It was a beautiful day, though. Glad I didn't break anything. :rolleyes:

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Strike 1 for riding a bike path on a mountain bike and expecting it to be fun.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I've ever had a ride turn out to be so opposite from expectations

It's like the pedestrian-laden BBP is assumed to be this really fast east/west connector in Boulder. Like the bike lanes on Canyon Blvd. etc aren't where to ride if you're in a freakin' hurry. That was probably the most dangerous ride I've done this year! All the bikers had this facial expression of "I've taken all I can take, f!ck everybody get out of my way I'm in a hurry".

Half the helmet-mirror geeks almost got me hammering to catch up to them to say "what's your f!ckin' hurry? You ain't faster than me!" There were no less than 7 locked-up brake scenarios from bikers passing me when they came up on guys doing 25 in the opposite direction. They just kept coming and coming and coming, like it was a race.

Yeah, I was on my Burner with my RP3 on three and my PUSHed Reba locked out. As I lay in a heap after my OTB I explained to the pretty lady "really, I only ride dirt". I wanted fun and all I got was road rash. Anybody out there feel sorry for me? :D :D :cool:

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
Normally I'd post wittily scathing replies that would make you out to look like an @ss, but from every post I've read of yours you seem to being doing a fine job of it yourself. Keep up the good work, we're all counting on you.

EDIT: I just realized that this post isn't A.) witty B.) scathing or C.) making anyone out to look like @ss but myself. Maybe I need xcguy to feel sorry for me instead!

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking you're missing a sense of humor or a sense of irony

Full Trucker said:
Normally I'd post wittily scathing replies that would make you out to look like an @ss, but from every post I've read of yours you seem to being doing a fine job of it yourself. Keep up the good work, we're all counting on you.

EDIT: I just realized that this post isn't A.) witty B.) scathing or C.) making anyone out to look like @ss but myself. Maybe I need xcguy to feel sorry for me instead!
I know I inadvertently affect some people like that. Let the smilies at the end of my sentences tell you that I'm just joking, if that's what it takes for you to not take offense. If that doesn't work just put me on your ignore list to save you the pain of reading my posts because it's obvious you're never going to enjoy anything I have to say. Why suffer needlessly?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I ride that bike path several times a week at lunch time and never find it all that bad. I occasionally have close calls with trees from paying to much attention to the scenery but that is it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Having recently gone OTB myself, I can at least sympathize with you a bit. That hurts!

As far as the BBP, it sure seems to me that it met all your expectations and then some. We lived in Louisville and Lafayette from 1985 until 2000. The BBP was actually a pleasant riding experience until every swinging richard in Boulder County decided to use it all at the same time (around 1989), which it sounds like they still try to do today. It's really not a bike path, but more like a MUT. Only thing missing are horses.

At least you didn't wind up in the hospital, or did you?

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Just don't go OTB into the electrified goat fence while looking at a butterfly...
...unless you want to make the front page of the Daily Camera.

And are you sure the skids around blind corners were really from people speeding, or was it people not paying attention because they were checking out the ladies?

I love the BCBP. :) Ride it just about everyday. It can be dangerous, but I'll take my chances with the burly's and hot chicks over unattentive SUV drivers anyday.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, there were hot ladies and I did my best to check them out

Stefan_G said:
Just don't go OTB into the electrified goat fence while looking at a butterfly...
...unless you want to make the front page of the Daily Camera.

And are you sure the skids around blind corners were really from people speeding, or was it people not paying attention because they were checking out the ladies?

I love the BCBP. :) Ride it just about everyday. It can be dangerous, but I'll take my chances with the burly's and hot chicks over unattentive SUV drivers anyday.
and no I didn't get hurt but when I did break my wrist 18 months ago it didn't hurt for about an hour (shock) so after slamming my hand-that-doesn't-bend-backwards into the pavement I just sat there wondering "what now". But really that's not the point of this thread, it's the shock I had being in the middle of this bike madness. Maybe it was lunch hour but it was just endless passing and swerving. If there were no pedestrians I can't say what a safe speed really would be but riders would fly past me (slowing down for the hikers) and fly past on blind corners. :eekster: I went there because of what I remembered it was in the past when I rode it. This time I saw many annoyed hiker faces as they jumped out of the way and many grim-faced bikers going way too fast for anyone's safety. I spent 15 years in Boulder and love that bike path along the creek. Today was just way way different. Like I say, maybe it was lunch hour but nothing like being on a nice dirt singletrack. Think I'll check out the sanitizing on Mt. Falcon next. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've never said I smoke anyone uphill (really) I just enjoy uphill

Squatch_ said:
For all your talk about smoking people uphill, I'd at least expect you to be able to ride the bike path without crashing.
and it was about a quarter sized rock that I hit just right that did something, bars crossed up, body flying. I tried to think "tuck and roll" and I think I succeeded somewhat because my left shoulder hurts but it happened so fast. And crashing on a bike path...what will I tell my grandkids? Scenario: I'm in the old folks home and word goes around that I crashed on the Boulder Bike Path. I'm hoping by that time I can still maneuver my walker to get out of earshot. "He couldn't handle a bike path ha ha ha ha...." And here I was thinking I was going to get blasted headon by a peloton of roadies on their lunch break. At least the cutie that helped me up didn't laugh at me.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
got to chill on the BBP

I use it all the time for my commute and my longer rides, and I'd say you can see beautiful ladies hiking, riding, running, sunning, lounging, rollerblading every time out. So its a good reason to go slow!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.