Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's ordered and on it's way. Not quite as light as the EL F1 but it is V compatible, has a small enough HT length for my Look Fournales (where are you AndrewTO?,) has a state of the art Fox RP23 shock and still comes in way under 5lbs. My bud also deals Kona so I'll have decent service/support if I need it and the price was criminal. I'm prolly looking at a goal build weight right now of 18.5lbs if I'm carefull in my part selection and I can get the Fournales tuned correctly. I think this is one of the best short travel FS frames going at the moment for any price. I'm looking more forward to a few of those brutal XC courses on the race schedule this year!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Limon said:
18.5 pounds sound very good, I have a similar project going on
thanks
The parts list is a work in progress but these are my thoughts so far:

Drivetrain-
Race Face Next LP CS- square taper
Sugino SSIII or Middleburn Hardcoat slickshift rings/Al bolts all around-shaved/drilled rings
Phil wood Ti BB
971 XTR GS RD
970 XTR 11/32 cassette
KMC X9SL chain
XTR 952 FD

Cockpit-
DA Barend shifters/Pauls Thumbies mounts- tuned
Syntace F99
Easton EC90 bar
Extralite Ultralevers
Special ultralite grip recipe;)
American Classic Headset

Wheels-
Tune Mig Mag/Stans ZTR 355/ DT Revos/ Al nips/ Racebolt skewer

The rest-
Tune Concorde Saddle
Extralite Seatpost
EL SP clamp
EL Ultrabrakes
Nokon Carbon brake housing/PowerCordz cables
Look Fournales Fork- Tuned and size small

I also want to have a look at tuning the Frame Pivot bolts with Ti so hopefully that will get the frame weight down to the level of the Extralite F1 with some luck. We will see.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SKullman said:
Did you consider the Yeti ASR-SL '07 has the full carbon rear, supposively Sub 5lbs
No canti post bosses so it was eliminated from the list. I would have been on my very short list if it had bosses, though.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
adn said:
New Intense Spider FRO got canti bosses... Stock Intense Spider XVP has it as well.
:skep: According to the Intense website the FRO is a Disc only frame. Where are you getting your info.?

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Such a really nice looking frame with...

such an ugly fork :bluefrown: :ciappa:

Sorry man, but hey it's your bike, not mine.

I guees no EL cranks......

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I'm right here, Axis, along with a tap, die and milling machine. ;)

CONGRATS on your purchase! :thumbsup: I'm glad to hear you finally found something that matched your criteria. Sounds like an impressive build you are about to tackle.

Ultralite grip recipe? What - heat shrink tubing? :p :D (sorry if I just ruined it)

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DIRT BOY said:
such an ugly fork :bluefrown: :ciappa:

Sorry man, but hey it's your bike, not mine.

I guees no EL cranks......
Let me get back to you on that.....prolly not but, I'll need plenty of other stuff so hopefully I'll make it up to you.;) And didn't anyone ever tell you that the customer is ALWAYS correct.....the Fournales is the best looking (and performing) fork avaibale.;) :D Oh, and also, V-brakes are far better then discs.LOL,...I love to crack myself up!:D

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AndrewTO said:
I'm right here, Axis, along with a tap, die and milling machine. ;)

CONGRATS on your purchase! :thumbsup: I'm glad to hear you finally found something that matched your criteria. Sounds like an impressive build you are about to tackle.

Ultralite grip recipe? What - heat shrink tubing? :p :D (sorry if I just ruined it)
OK, I sent you an email on Friday w/no reponse so I'll be in touch. The secret grip recipe consists of road bar tape overwrapped with something called Tommy Tape- this is a plumber's tape used to seal leaky pipes. It is made out of a SUPER tacky and durable silicone material, I think. It is almost weightless. It rocks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm, that's wierdo. As far as I remember a friend of mine told me that, and he is the importer og Intense frames here in Norway. But hey, I may remember wrong, maybe it was the Spider XVP only!
My bad, mates.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Axis II said:
OK, I sent you an email on Friday w/no reponse so I'll be in touch. The secret grip recipe consists of road bar tape overwrapped with something called Tommy Tape- this is a plumber's tape used to seal leaky pipes. It is made out of a SUPER tacky and durable silicone material, I think. It is almost weightless. It rocks.
Okay, we talked about Friday's e-mail. :thumbsup:

Yup, Tommy tape is good stuff (used for electronics myself). Just keep in mind that if you ever want to remove it it'll take an exacto knife and a steady hand. :eekster:

You sure you're going to need the grip tape along with that stuff? :confused: Seems like a LOT of padding, IMHO. I know, personal preference and all that good stuff.

(looks outside for mail delivery person) Nope, not yet.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AndrewTO said:
Okay, we talked about Friday's e-mail. :thumbsup:

Yup, Tommy tape is good stuff (used for electronics myself). Just keep in mind that if you ever want to remove it it'll take an exacto knife and a steady hand. :eekster:

You sure you're going to need the grip tape along with that stuff? :confused: Seems like a LOT of padding, IMHO. I know, personal preference and all that good stuff.

(looks outside for mail delivery person) Nope, not yet.
You have mail. Yes, removing requires a knife but no worries about grip slippage-:thumbsup: I like a little coosh under my hands (sorry:eek: ) so that's why the bar tape under the Tommy Tape. Also, the Tommy Tape is really expensive here so I like to use it sparingly to build up to a good thickness. I used this recipe all last season and it rocked. The best WW grip I have used thus far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.