Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really sick of the front derailleur on my Shift R1, it is an Alivio and I hated it since the day I bought the bike. I recently bought a RaceFace crank and the large ring is a 44 instead of the stock 42 tooth I had so I had to raise the derailleur up a 1/4" or so to clear, now when I use the small ring the chain drags across the bottom of the derailleur. It also is impossible to get it adjusted without sacrificing some rub when in the largest or smallest rear ring or having trouble shifting from the mid to large front.
I am usualy pretty competent when it comes to adjusting derailleurs, but this one is kicking my butt! I am almost tempted to make the 200 mile trip to a bike shop and have them adjust it! I know the derailleur is a low end model, I do want to replace it but dont want to have these problems again. I dont want to have to make a 200 mile trip everytime I need an adjustment.
I guess what I am asking is if I replace this turd Alivio derailleur with one of better quality will it make a big difference when it comes to getting it to adjust?
I have watched several vids on proper adjusting techniques and they all reaffirm I am doing it the right way, will someone please tell me if a better mech is going to fix these issues?
Any recomendations on a good, but not super expensive top pull, front derailleur? Thanks!! A.H.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jill, I have raised up the derailleur, lined it up with rings, adjusted the high and low, I think the cage on the Alivio is just a pile of feces!
I'm definately getting rid of it! Thanks! A.H.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.