Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants to upgrade his nishiki alamosa's fork and I don't think he can but I don't wana be rude because he see's my bike and gets jealous so would there be a fork that would fit on there

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,832 Posts
So, couple things. I'm going off this link:
http://m.*****sportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29203346

Edit: mtbrv profanity filter scrubs d1cks from d1cksportinggoods in the url so you have to correct the link to see what I'm seeing.

1) it's a $300 bike. What would he upgrade to? Even a bottom end (legitimately dirt ready) aftermarket fork is $300. Does that make any sense to do?

2) existing travel is 60mm. You can't add a lot of travel without risking frame failure at the head tube junction. So he's limited to 80mm forks most likely. That's not a lot of upgrade options.

3) existing brakes are caliper. You almost can't find a good fork with caliper posts any more. He'll need to buy a front disc brake and a front wheel with a disc hub. Again we're getting waaay into "does that make any sense on a $300 bike" territory

4) hard to tell from the pics:
Is the steerer tube 1" or 1 1/8th?

If it's a 1" steerer that further limits his choices.

All in all, it's really not practical and will cost more than the bike is worth and you're still stuck with 7 speed department store bike.

·
B A N N E D
5,411 Posts
Yeh that's y I thought it would not be worth it thanks
Being worth it doesn't mean that it can't be done.

For a $100 or less on ebay you could get a secondhand Rockshox, Marzocchi or Manitou fork or a brand new Suntour fork of a lower quality then the secondhand ones, either way you'd end up with a better fork then the stock one on that bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.