Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
a lazy pedaler
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is not ready yet! :lol:

but I already know somethings:

I'm going to call her "La Trurly" since the frameset will be 80% Trek and 20% Surly...yes..the other day at McAllen I ordered a 1x1 fork :thumbsup:

at the shop we check geometry, length, rake, etc and I just went for it.

This will be my commuter project for this year! and I'm very excited about it!

I already decided the new color ... which will include paint for the Frame, fork and fenders. :thumbsup:

I'll probably add a new Titec H bar handlebar, and since I'm shaving more than 2 pounds just by changing the fork...I'm thinking to go 1x8 to keep getting rid of things I won't need...will try to modify the crankset, take off the FD and add a chain guide...do I need it?....I saw one somewhere that is mounted as a FD but now I don't remember where I saw it.

will be posting updates and more questions if needed...hope you guys don't mind to help me a little... please!! :p

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,327 Posts
I'd highly reccomend my 1x8 set up...I'm using a road double crankset up front, with no front derailleur, but I kept the two chainrings so I can drop it down to the smaller one for the occasional big climb. I keep it in the big ring for my commute. I have also mastered shifting it down to the smaller ring with my toe while riding. Super simple, versatile set-up.

·
weirdo
6,027 Posts
martinsillo said:
hesitating a little...
Doh... that`s where the trouble starts!
Three times as much for the job or just three times as much for the price of the powder itself? I thought most of the price of having something PCd was paying the guys to clean out their equipment after spraying your stuff. Personally, I think it`s kind of a shame to spray over those beautiful VO fenders, but it`ll look good either way. About the chain guide, why don`t you just put it back together without the FD and see if you need anything else? I don`t see why the chain wouldn`t stay on its ring all by itself for city riding.

·
a lazy pedaler
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehe
I called the guy at the PC shop yesterday asking if he can find the orange...and he didn't tell me about and extra charge for cleaning their equipment, in this case it could be possible because they only do white, yellow and black for caterpillar...I don't know...will ask him when I call him to see if he could find the color.

the wife bike PC white job was 480 MXN (about 38 USD) so if I need to buy the color and there is no extra charge for the cleaning...yes...paint ~ 3 x labor.

I think I'm going to go with the green now :lol: along with this on the H-bar...and probably a yellow bar tape.

when doing the disassembling I'll ask the LBS If it is possible to remove the outer and inner ring for a cleaner look...if not well I'll do it just without the FD.

·
weirdo
6,027 Posts
I didn`t mean there was an extra charge for cleaning- just that whenever they switch colors the time spent cleaning accounts for more of your cost than the cost of the materials on a small job. Your wife`s frame probably came out so cheap because they were already doing a job in the same white and if it`s three times as much for the green as for the orange it`s probably because they alread have an orange job, so don`t have to clean their gun.

Yeah, you can take off the extra chainrings too- no problem. If you`re going to use the middle ring, the little one just goes in a box in your closet and you`ll need shorter bolts for the other one. Your LBS might even have some of those bolts hanging around and give them to you for free. I was talking about the FD/chain guide- you might as well just keep that part clean until you have some reason to put something there. If you have problems, you can easilly put the derailler back on without a cable to it or look into chain guides of some sort.

·
a lazy pedaler
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks mtymxdh!

...thanks to mtymxdh my fork is here!

will try to do the swap asap, I'm close to find the paint, but hasn't been easy.

just realize that the round tubes of the fork will kinda look weird with the oval tubes of the frame... but I guess that's what a frankenbike is all about, isn`t.

·
weirdo
6,027 Posts
Mmmm- I might be wrong, but I don`t think so. It says for Miche cassettes in Shimano or Campy flavors. I know people do surgery on cassettes though, so you might be able to manage something. Is the tooth causing a problem like it is?

·
a lazy pedaler
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually, I didn't notice it until I clean the bike, not sounds or anything when I am in that cog, so I think I'll keep it that way for now.

The same cassette cost 19$ so I think I'll wait for another failure or for when I need to change the whole thing.

·
a lazy pedaler
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok guys, VeloOrange do not accept AMEX or paypal...*...this and the fact that I haven't found someone to give me the paint at a reasonable price is killing the dream of having frame and fender with the same color.

Now I'm thinking on some Hardcore Fenders and have all the accessories on black and have the frame PCted later if I found the paint here somehow.

I can always do it black or white with the guys who paint the wife's bike but I'm not into those colors right now.

* thanks to our Venezuelan government (basically, once you leave the country you are F#$d up) and me being new in the MEX credit bureau put me in the "just have one AMEX operative CC" position.

·
weirdo
6,027 Posts
OOOOhhhh! That wooden rack and chainguard! I`ve seen the fenders before and they don`t look all that special by themselves (to me anyway , and I really do like nice wood) but when you put the other stuff together... YOWZA!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.