Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Friday I took my first my first big step into the world of wheel building and I gotta say, it wasn't too awful hard. The biggest challenge was keeping my patience and not rushing things. Four hours later and I had my first wheel done.

I built up the wheel in standard 3 cross lacing using a DT 4.2d white edition rim, DT competition white edition spokes, red DT pro lock 14mm alu nipples, and a red Hope Pro2 single speed hub.

And now some pics:
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Spoke Rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Wood Rim

Red White Automotive exterior Line Logo

Wood Hardwood Floor Flooring Bicycle accessory

The wheel came out a little on the heavy side because the Hope single speed freehub body is made of steel instead of aluminum but I am not too worried about that. I am still waiting for the front Pro2 hub so I can finish the wheelset and together they will be about 1750 grams.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Awesome! I see true passion here - the hub logo visible through the valve hole! Just as my website suggests. Great stuff Flynet. Just make sure the tire labels go at the tire valves to finish off the job properly.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
nubcake said:
building wheels is a complete sickness.
As a home wheelbuilder for decades I never was able to build enough wheels for myself to satisfy the passion. I would gladly build wheels for friends and aquaintances just to keep up the practise. I've got the enviable track record of never charging a penny for it too. Building wheels for money would not interest me in the least.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike, I read through your site very carefully before I even started and I kept it open, along with Sheldons website, for reference. Lots of good stuff there!

Yea nub, I think know what you mean. Its been just a few days since I built it and I find myself already "looking" for the next project. :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
nubcake said:
Awesome job, love the white spokes/rim.

Just so you know, building wheels is a complete sickness. Soon you will find yourself wanting to sell your old wheels just to have a reason to build new ones
Really nice build by the way, that blows away my first build which was front and rear King/717's with green nipples that I thought was bling for a first timer. This statement above is totally true. I have only built 3 wheels and I have the 4th that I laced up last night but haven't started to tension yet (I built my first wheel in October). I am now looking at some of my fleet and thinking about which wheels are sub par and what projects I will have through the winter. Looks like my girlfriend is going to get a new wheelset whether she likes it or not.
I used Mike T's site, Roger's book, Zinn's book and Sheldon's site for reference. :thumbsup:
R

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
flynnet I really like the look of those wheels. I was thinking of building up a similar pair of wheels but with white Aerolite spokes and red Chris King hubs. Could you please answer the following questions?

How durable is the finish? I am worried that rocks and stones will mark the finish.

Did you weigh the rims on their own? I am wondering if they are heavier than the black (I realise that DT say 400 grams but I was thinking this might be a mistake).

Thanks!

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Very nice.
Since I saw that Velocity has brought out a white VXC 29er rim and DT has white spokes, I have been thinking about building a set of wheels with this combination.
I have a set of gold hubs that I would be building them with along with gold nipples.
I just wonder if this will all look a bit rubbish with my new white frame.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally Posted by bighead
How durable is the finish? I am worried that rocks and stones will mark the finish.
The rim and spokes are powdercoated so the finish is very durable but the finish did chip on one or two of the spokes where they crossed. Rocks will probably cause some scratches but black rims will scratch just the same, you can just see it better on white.

Originally Posted by bighead
Did you weigh the rims on their own? I am wondering if they are heavier than the black (I realise that DT say 400 grams but I was thinking this might be a mistake).
Thats what I was thinking also but DT was right on the money. The rim pictured weighs 399.6 grams and the other rim (which I'll use for the front wheel) weighed only 388 grams! :eekster:

Originally Posted by One_Speed
nice job!! what kinda bike they going on?

The DT?
no no no no. :nono:
They are going on a 4x race bike I am building up for this comming season. A white Spank Puff. It should look nice all put together and when it is done I'll be sure to post pics!

Thanks for all the comments, still waiting on the front hub. Cant wait :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm in Germany so I ordered them from hibike.de. Dunno where you would be able to get them in the States, even here they were a little hard to find.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.