Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I became interested in the sport of mountain biking, specifically downhill/freeride. After a few months of research I landed my butt on a 04 Kona Stinky...this was on Monday. With about 7 miles on it prior to today, we headed out to find a rumored trail. Well once we find the trailhead the first thing is pretty steep downhill with maybe three successive 8" root drops in a row. I was feeling brave and pointed the nose downhill. It was very slick as the trail had not dried I guess so...slightly into the hill I'm on my brakes and my rear is slipping. I end up hitting the roots while sitting with both brakes on trying to save my rear :madman: Take one hop and endo into some brush. I was able to catch myself and it didn't hurt at all. We continued down the trail checking it out and got to crawl over some logs and little stuff for fun. On the way back I was so pissed that I fell so I hiked back up and tried again. It's a little intimidating the second time when I couldn't control my rear end. Enter in a bit slower at the top, let go of the rear brake a few feet above the roots and lean back and NAILED IT my second time!!! We continued down the trail some more and then went back to that hill again. This time I went a little faster and nailed it again!! At this point we decide to head out because my buddy broke his chain and could only do that hill. So my first ride out was AWESOME and I had a blast. I need to setup my front shock and I have an 850lb ordered for the rear so I can actually pedal.

I promise pictures next time because I would have loved to see myself heading over the bars....and maybe conquering it the second time :thumbsup:

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
It's always a good feeling to conquer a troublesome obstacle.......
but you gotta remember one thing:
If at all possible, ride it, don't slide it.

you're just getting into the sport but trail erosion is a big deal and sliding or skidding down a trail is never good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts