Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dozer
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Titus frame and it's arriving tomorrow. Actually, it's my first full-suspension, period. I'm planning on moving the components from my 2009 Fisher Piranha to the MotoLite frame, with some substitutions as necessary (photos of the entire process will be forthcoming, I promise).

I plan to set this up as a trail bike: occasional drops, lots of mud and rocks, needs to be a good climber. I'm 6'2" and about 185 lbs with gear.

Dare I ask for suggestions in setting up this bike? What are thoughts on longer stems vs. shorter stems on the ML? I believe I have a 90mm or 100mm right now. I also need a really good front tire recommendation.

Looking forward to joining the Titus and full squishy ranks!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sorry no official welcome without pics :p

I moved from a 120mm stem to 90mm and was really happy. I think that's a good place to start.

As far as tire, hard to recommend without knowing what type of riding you do, where you ride, and what your current trail conditions are.

FWIW, I have a Rubber Queen 2.4 and love it. Conty renamed it to the Trail King for 2010, I think maybe a lot of riders had issues with the word "Queen" anywhere on their bikes. Probably a branding oops by Conty. Anyway, it's a large volume tire. Easily as big as the Maxxis 2.5's my buddies use.

Oh yeah, welcome to the fold. Your ML will make you very happy.

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Come on down

Bring your new bike, or box of parts, down to Hueston Woods when you get a chance.
Not that far from you. 5 miles north of Oxford (Miami U)

Scores of Motolites were born here and had their first ride on the singletrack next to the shop.

We can help you set it up, adjust shock pressure, play around with stems and tires. There are a few tricks to cabling, too.

Attachments

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
The first rule of owning a Titus is to scoff at any and all Turner owners, aka "Homers."

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
yeahdog31 said:
I just purchased my first Titus frame and it's arriving tomorrow. Actually, it's my first full-suspension, period. I'm planning on moving the components from my 2009 Fisher Piranha to the MotoLite frame, with some substitutions as necessary (photos of the entire process will be forthcoming, I promise).

I plan to set this up as a trail bike: occasional drops, lots of mud and rocks, needs to be a good climber. I'm 6'2" and about 185 lbs with gear.

Dare I ask for suggestions in setting up this bike? What are thoughts on longer stems vs. shorter stems on the ML? I believe I have a 90mm or 100mm right now. I also need a really good front tire recommendation.

Looking forward to joining the Titus and full squishy ranks!
I assume the bike is a large? I say go short with the stem (60-75mm) and long with the bars (28-30").

The ML likes forks in the 120-130mm range for climbing and I would start with that.

For the rear shock, start with PP off and use about 75% body weight to get ~12mm of sag at the shock. From there, experiment, and after a year, send the shock to get Pushed and add a HV air can.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Here's a prelimanary welcome from a fellow Motolite owner. No pics and I rescind it tho! :D

I used the competitive cyclist fit calculator for help with my cockpit, really seemed to work well for me.

For forks I like my TALAS, which Titus put on the Motolite, but I use 120 about 90% of the time, so if money's an issue you can save a few bux with a fixed travel 120 or 130 fork. I really like my thru-axle, feels way more point and shoot than the QR fork on my last mountain bike.

Get a front tire with some meat on it, it's a trail bike that can be XC fast, not an XC bike. So far I've used IRC Seracs and Kenda Small Block 8s, much prefer the Kenda on front, even though I mostly see it recommended as a rear. I'm moving to Nevegal 2.1 rear and 2.35 front next season, also having the shock pushed and getting an adjustable seatpost.

Have fun!

David B.

·
Registered
194 Posts
yeahdog31

Welcome!
You are going to be happy for years to come on a Titus.

It really doesn't matter which model you ride... they're all excellent.

Plus everyone here is friendly & knowledgeable to boot.

·
Dozer
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Photos, as promised.

I finally got the frame and built it up with some components I had. The idea was to build a Motolite with as little cash as possible, and over time I can easily upgrade parts as needed or wanted. I realize that a lot of the components you'll see on the bike aren't overly high-dollar, but they work quite well nonetheless.

With this bike, I'm going for a less "blingy" look and more understated and classic. I'm a fan of the older (pre-2008) Titus logos where it's just an outline. I'm trying to keep things black, silver, and white. That said, Here's my bike so far:

Rider: 6'2", 180lbs
Riding Style: Trail, heavy XC

2007 Titus Motolite II (black, large)
Wheels: Bontrager Ranger Rims, Shimano M495 Hubs
Tires: Front - Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC Rear - Kenda Dred Tread 2.1 DTC
Crankset: Shimano FC-M442, 22-32, 32t BBG bashguard (2x9 setup)
Shifters: Sram X5
Front D: Sram X5
Rear D: Sram X5
Cassette: Sram PG950 11-32t
Brakes: Shimano Deore BR-M486, SLX RT-64 203mm front rotor, 180mm rear rotor
Fork: 2010 RockShox Recon Race Solo Air (currently 100mm travel)
Pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbeater C
Headset: Cane Creek S2
Handlbars: TruVativ Hussefelt 20mm riser
Stem: TruVativ AKA 80mm
Seatpost: Bontrager SSR
Seat: Bontrager Race
Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock-On
Bashguard: BBG 32t

Total Weight: 32.0 lbs

As you can see, I robbed most of these parts from a 2009 Gary Fisher Piranha, so even with the purchase price of that bike, I've got this project in around $1600. Proof that you don't have to break the bank to have a really nice ride!

Here are some upgrades that are already in the works:
FD: Shimano SLX double
Pedals: Candy SL (something with more platform for those nasty clip-out sections)

Does anyone know if there's room for a larger rotor in the rear? I ordered a Shimano SLX RT-64 180mm rotor for the rear, but it hasn't arrived yet and looking at the bike I'm not sure there's clearance. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for all input, and I'm anxious to get this thing filthy!

Attachments

·
Non-Eco Friendly
77 Posts
Wow that looks really good, Im building my 09 El Guapo and am coming from an 09 Piranha as well. How does the ML feel compared to the GF? Also was your GF a large as well?

·
Dozer
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EvilGringo said:
Wow that looks really good, Im building my 09 El Guapo and am coming from an 09 Piranha as well. How does the ML feel compared to the GF? Also was your GF a large as well?
My Piranha was 21" (XL). I'll keep you posted on ride quality from one to the next. I haven't had much chance to ride it yet (darn Ohio winters...).

·
Registered
380 Posts
yeahdog31 said:
I haven't had much chance to ride it yet (darn Ohio winters...).
You can warm yourself up with a few sips of that Jameson in the background, then head out into the tundra! :D Sweet ML!

·
Dozer
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
anand said:
I think the Recon is a 130mm fork.
The Recon Race is 80/100/120 internally adjustable. Right now mine's in 100mm mode. My LBS is going to take out the all-travel spacer for me. I'm not confident enough yet to do it in my kitchen.

I love the fork because it's super light and easy to dial in, but I sense eventually I'm going to need to go to something a little stiffer. Maybe an F-series with 15QR?

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
yeahdog31 said:
The Recon Race is 80/100/120 internally adjustable. Right now mine's in 100mm mode. My LBS is going to take out the all-travel spacer for me. I'm not confident enough yet to do it in my kitchen.

I love the fork because it's super light and easy to dial in, but I sense eventually I'm going to need to go to something a little stiffer. Maybe an F-series with 15QR?
reba with maxle is my pick. I think you're going to really like it with 120mm up front.

·
Dozer
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeahdog31 said:
Does anyone know if there's room for a larger rotor in the rear? I ordered a Shimano SLX RT-64 180mm rotor for the rear, but it hasn't arrived yet and looking at the bike I'm not sure there's clearance. Does anyone have experience with this?
UPDATE: There's no problem fitting a 180mm rotor in the rear. I installed it yesterday and clearance is not an issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice MotoLite :)

I am building one myself right now, almost finished actually.. (in case interested: https://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4546/pbpic4546512.jpg)

I wonder about the suspension settings: Most of you guys have mounted the shock in the second option (counting from below).

Is that actually the 5" setting? (guess so, but I wasn't able to find a user manual..)

One of you replied about using 75% of rider weight for starters to set the suspension right. What are your experiences about this?

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
msxx said:
Nice MotoLite :)

I am building one myself right now, almost finished actually.. (in case interested: https://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4546/pbpic4546512.jpg)

I wonder about the suspension settings: Most of you guys have mounted the shock in the second option (counting from below).

Is that actually the 5" setting? (guess so, but I wasn't able to find a user manual..)

One of you replied about using 75% of rider weight for starters to set the suspension right. What are your experiences about this?
Nice Motolite!

Yup, the second position (or the top position) is the 5" position.

And second, yes 75% is a good starting point to start with (if you have the 2" stock shock, which you do). I recommend that you run the bike with rebound set as fast as possible for the plushest ride.

Also, ride the bike for a year and then send the Shock to Push to get tuned. It will improve the ride tremendously.

Have fun!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts