Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer:
I know this has to do with SSing but it is a about my passion for riding bikes so I thought it appropriate to post in here. Mods, if you think it belongs in the SS forum or even the recycle bin please move it to wherever you see fit.

So, I have been riding rigid SS since I started riding mountain bikes in 2009. I have however, never considered myself a single speeder just a mountain biker who rides a single speed( splitting hairs I know but believe me, I split them). That is, until yesterday.

I went out for a ride with a friend and his brother. Let's call the brothers H1 and H2 for clear story-telling. This was H2's first ever mountain bike ride and he was riding a rigid SS 29er. It was only going to be a short ride since he had to work. H1 and I were using this introduction ride as a warm-up for riding the longer(12.5mi) more challenging trail next door after H2 went to work, then riding the 11-12 miles home.

Enter the long trail:

We could not have asked for better weather; after a week of rain and overcast, dreary skies the sun showed it glorious head on Friday and dried all the trails up so when we got into the woods we were greeted with perfect trails and temperatures.
I have often heard stories of people who are SSers passing geared riders and having faster lap times however, I have never had this happen hence the reason for not considering myself a SSer.
I entered the trail slightly behind H1( he on a GF Superfly, me on a rigid Kona Explosif) and caught up to him. This is usually where my story would end as I would just be fast enough to keep on his wheel and eventually lag to 1-2 min. behind him as we exit; yesterday however, this was not the case.
I saw myself passing him and pulling away. Fueled with the adrenaline this gave I started to pedal harder to make the gap more, riding harder than I have in a while. Coming to a crazy rough descent with a tiny rickety bridge at the bottom and a sharp turn after, I would normally feather my brakes down. Instead, today( yesterday, but we'll keep it present tense for a more dramatic feel) I told myself not to touch the brakes and just ride it out; nailed it and brought my momentum through the turn. Charging the next few miles my phone rang and I debated on not stopping but thought it could have been H1 and stopped; he then materialized behind me not on the phone, I jumped back on the bike and opened the throttle to make up for lost time.
I then came across another geared hardtail rider and passed him( he was stopped but started back as soon as I passed him). I kept thinking I would hear "on your left" soon and was preparing for it while saying to myself "just make it to this next section before he catches you." Once I would get to that section and not hear him give a shout I would repeat this cycle, all the while looking over my shoulder to gauge distance. I eventually stopped thinking about it as I could no longer see said chaser.
Then, I started to hear a funny noise. After a mile or so I diagnosed the noise as being a loose front QR. I spent the next couple miles making arguments for stopping and not stopping; keeping myself in the upper level of exertion all the while. Finally, at the top of a hill where I was going slow after just making it up stopped for the two seconds it took to fix.
There were a ton of awesome things that I wanted to stop to take pictures of but didn't since I was having the ride of my life. There were bright orange groups of mushrooms in the verdant shade of trees, creek crossings that had flowing water( it's usually too low to flow and is pretty still most of the time. More mushrooms and some bridges that I want to have pictures of. I think I will take pictures of these things later today( hopefully).
I cleared an obstacle that I normally find a little challenging to clear with ease. The dry stream bed chutes I would cautiously take and feather my brakes on were devoured by my bike and me. I missed a jump that I normally ride but is tough on a bike with a suspension fork so had made up my mind not to take it before we even left the house. It has an off camber rooty landing. I had to walk one hill; I always have to walk it. Today though, it didn't make me feel like I don't know how to ride a bike, I felt like I earned the walk.
in the last three or so miles my legs started to cramp. my inner thigh right above the knees. I just ignored it and pushed harder but backed off when they felt crampy. I exited the trail with enough gas left for the slow pedal home and enough exhilaration to keep me endorphin high for a little while after. However, as I left the trail a guy was putting his bike into his truck bed and struck up a conversation with me. We talked about bikes and such for a while; shortly after I exited H1 came rolling up and started in talking as well. He had taken a bail out since he was feeling a bit bad. When it was time to go our new friend D-- offered us a ride since he lived really close to us. We accepted and then in the course of driving home decided to get some food at a restaurant. All three of us muddy sweaty guys looked silly and we didn't care.
Later, my girlfriend and I were going to a friends house and I decided to wear my NCCSSR shirt since I thought I could finally call myself a SSer after that ride. At the beer store I grabbed myself a bottle of the Unita Brewing Company's Labyrinth Black Ale. I thought I deserved a $13.00 beer.

So, now I consider myself a SSer and not just a guy who rides a SS. Sorry I'm so long in the tooth; none of my friend would get this if I told them and my girlfriend had a bad day that day so she would listen to me. I know some of you enjoy reading this type of thing so I thought I would post it. Thanks for reading.

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
monzie, thanks for sharing. The stoke of others are what keep my fire alive on my down days(stretching into weeks now). Sadly, I had to give us SS for the terrain I live in now, but yeah, I remember being stronger and faster when I used to ride one.

·
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the positive feed back! I think I finally know what hero dirt is from this ride. The ground was the perfect combination of tacky but hard. I love my bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.