Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I did my first race this morning, The Spring Cup at Buck Hill. I couldn't believe how hard it was! I almost quit halfway through but managed to finish. I went over the handlebars once and my helmet hasn't fit quite the same since. I think that's when the computer stopped working too. The rain only added to the experience. I don't know how you ss guys do it but if I didn't have my granny gear I would have been walking up even more hills. At first I tried to be a good little racer and pedal up all the hills but that only lasted about half a lap, after that I followed everyone else's example and walked up the harder ones. It was quite an experience, I will probably do it again after I forget how hard it was.

Oh yeah. As far as I could tell, I had the only Surly, the only 29er and the only rigid bike.

·
Registered
319 Posts
seriously now

You've got to really inspect that helmet and make sure there are no cracks or anything. If there is even the tiniest crack or strap pulled through--RETIRE THAT HELMET. It has done its job and now you need a new one.

But good job on finishing. My first race was also pretty crappy, but now that I have a few under my belt I realized how much fun they are. My first race this season my saddle popped off the rails and I had to stand on the pedals for 6 miles--still finished 8th of 9 clydesdales.

Congrats on toughing it out!

·
Registered
829 Posts
shark67 said:
You've got to really inspect that helmet and make sure there are no cracks or anything. If there is even the tiniest crack or strap pulled through--RETIRE THAT HELMET. It has done its job and now you need a new one.
That's a good point. There may be a replacement policy with the company that made your helmet. Its worth looking in to. I sent my smooshed Phi to Bell and got a new one mailed back for $30.

Keep racing. It really helps with fitness, which makes racing MUCH more fun. Know what I mean?

·
29 inches and Pissed Off!
693 Posts
Congratulations.
I will be doing my first race next weekend. 24HOA at Laguan Seca. I still have not decided if I should use the SS or Geared.
I have heard always get a new melon protecter if it takes a blow.
Dan C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.