Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I want share my first project to have some feedback or suggestions.
As i move to Switzerland in august i found a cheap NOS frame of this bike, the Villinger Arrow 26".
i have discovered that here is a "kult" bike so i found a very old one, my NOS frame and some other pieces found here in the forum and start to put everithing togheter.
The Mountain Arrow was born, with a full carbon frame, thanks to the bike development with ETH university of Zurich.
Around 2000 was created as a bike from another planet : the " Spyce " .
This wheel of a special kind had been, I love the way the chain stays are a working part of the rear suspension.
Now with USE S.U.B. forks weight around 12kg
Shimano XT serie, USE S.U.B. fork, IXS magnesium levers, rigida rear rim and front from mavic .
Some picture here:

Next steps will be:

-Change rear shock ( here I really need an hand)
-XT crank now is LX

Hope you like it :eek:

Massimo

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,000 Posts
I won't say it's pretty, but wow!

That's an unusual bike. How much travel does the rear have? And how does the ride compare to other bikes?

Grumps

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,304 Posts
That thing makes my head itch in funny ways....

But it has a Lefty of sorts, so I'm in.

Thanks for sharing, I've never seen anything like that. And like Grumps asked, more details on ride quality, travel, etc.

What a wonderful freak show that thing is!! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That thing makes my head itch in funny ways....

But it has a Lefty of sorts, so I'm in.

Thanks for sharing, I've never seen anything like that. And like Grumps asked, more details on ride quality, travel, etc.

What a wonderful freak show that thing is!! :)
The fork is a USE S.U.B. and it's really stable also under heavy brakes, the rear suspension is not very nice as unit and have about 3.5cm of travel.
This is the reason because i want change it with a better unit.
the bike seem to be very neutral but i have to test more deep in hard conditions ( in any case i'm not a fantastic rider :madman: hihihi )
Yes i agree it's quite strange, but it's light for his age and very stiff thanks to the carbon frame.
Also the avid disk brake is really really good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love this Bike...

I bought one in Southern Germany in 1998. I still have it here in Alabama and wonder if it is the only one in america? Unfortunately it needs a little repair but is generally in great shape otherwise. it hangs in my garage for now until I make riding again or selling it a priority. I originally got it because I had terrible carpal tunnel and tendinitis and I needed some shock capabilities even for road riding between Rheinfelden (Germany) and Basel Switzerland, often over the big hill between German Rheinfelden and Loerrach then touring Basel at night. I think of it as oddly beautiful, and for it's age it has had very little use.

I have the original advertising flier in German from Arrow though it is rougher for wear over the time... The frame design was aided by French aircraft maker Dassault (Mirage, Rafale etc)

Mine is the Spyce RC but in brilliant blue, like the SF version shown here but slightly different shock color combo. SCN_0019C.jpg SCN_0020C.jpg SCN_0021C.jpg SCN_0022C.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there

now i need your help....
Brainstorming to find a solution to replace the crappy rear shock.
That is the monster:

I have thinked about a fox 165mm with 38mm of course.
But i'm stll thinking about how to adapt to the bottom....like an "U" insert to screw inside the bottom.

Any ideas ?

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,304 Posts
My first suggestion at point like this is Risse Racing.

They seem to have the ability to make all manner of unique, small production shock units, as well as offering in line, numerous older units for all manner of oddball short production run big brand units.

Beyond that? I got nothing.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Arrow Spyce RC Project

This is the Transformation from this:
IMG_20150808_125845.jpg
IMG_20150808_130057.jpg

Into This:
IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg

And Yes, it's the same bike...

Now am looking for a new Arrow to do a second Project to get this bike to a Higher Level...

The whole Suspention and stell back, will be replaced with an aluminium Frame, Fox Suspentions (Front/Rear), Diskbrakes and All New XTR Parts... If you know someone who still has one Arrow Spyce Frame, please contact me.

Feel Free to comment

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow..that's a beauty..

This is the Transformation from this:
View attachment 1071215
View attachment 1071216

Into This:
View attachment 1071217
View attachment 1071218
View attachment 1071219

And Yes, it's the same bike...

Now am looking for a new Arrow to do a second Project to get this bike to a Higher Level...

The whole Suspention and stell back, will be replaced with an aluminium Frame, Fox Suspentions (Front/Rear), Diskbrakes and All New XTR Parts... If you know someone who still has one Arrow Spyce Frame, please contact me.

Feel Free to comment
I also bought Arrow frame few days ago and i'm going into little project with it..i think that it is worthy to invest money because they are so rare...here is my frame..

Attachments

·
artistic...
7,597 Posts
I am surprised at how they multiplied on this thread alone. Looks like an invasion for outer space. Stock more ammo!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Looks like a very worthwhile project, a rare bike indeed that will hold it's value over time. :thumbsup: Rarely if ever do we see bikes like this in USA...

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
Buzzkillz. Rare is reason enough to get people interested, pedigree doesn't matter. Of course these bikes don't meet the narrow criteria of this forum but it doesn't hurt to see something you ain't seen before.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts