Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Up up and away!
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty fit but have never ridden a mtb before on a mtb trail. I remember the days I was a teenager and all the crazy stuff I rode over/jumped back in the 90's. So I got an old Alpine Stars rigid with skipping gears and head out to Skegg's not knowing what to expect.

Oh what a ride. The whole 2 hour ride was lots of fun. Even the climb at the end. I loved the singletracks and speeding downhill. Chain came off once and got my hands all greasy to put it back on. Good thing nature provides with tissue.

What is next? What should I ride next? I've read about the Saratoga Gap rides on Thursday night and I want to try one of those, just need to arrange for someone to take care of the little one before I can make it.

I have to say Skegg's was super fun. I describe it as Disneyland without the 2 hour lines or as being in a roller coaster for 2 hours. I'm hooked. After a few more rides and figuring out what is my riding 'style' it will be time to look into getting a new bike! :thumbsup:

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Keep riding Skeggs and hit all the other trails and put together some loops. It is one of the better places in the Bay Area to ride.

·
formerly Gobike69
346 Posts
Welcome to the club. Skegg's is my favorite place to ride but Demo in Santa Cruz comes in a strong second

·
Registered
90 Posts
Love Skeggs, the different loops are a great idea and all are different challenges. Tried out G. Salamandar for the first time last month, fun trail is you haven't hit it yet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Where is skeggs. I live in the east bay about 2 miles from lake shabot in Castro valley where i do all my ridding. What is the best loop. just getting back into shape so nothing to crazy on the climbs. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Skeggs is the mountain biker name for El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve (Skeggs is a tad easier to say...):

http://www.openspace.org/preserves/pr_ecdm.asp

So from Castro Valley it's generally easiest to take 92 and just keep going past 101 and 280 to Skyline then turn south, Skeggs is off Skyline a couple miles south of the Kings Mountain Road/Tunitas Creek intersection.

Unfortunately the map (click on "Download a map of this preserve" on that link above) doesn't differentiate between singletrack and fire roads. There are loads of different loops, as you can see from the map there are lots of options. The most popular singletracks, with preferred direction of travel: Manzanita N-S, Resolution E-W, Blue Blossom E-W, North Leaf and South Leaf N-S, Giant Salamander S-N, Steam Donkey E-W, Sierra Morena N-S, Crossover and Crosscut whichever way. Those are the main singletracks although there are sections of singletrack on some of the other trails (for instance the southwestern end of El Corte de Madera creek trail; also the western end of Methuselah is awesome singletrack, while the rest is steep fire road). So you can look at the map and decide how big a ride you want and try to connect some of those.

Hopefully someone will link to more specific loops with maps...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome (back) to mountain biking! The good news: all kinds of wondrous (expensive) new technology to improve your ride. The bad news: you may have a hard time matching the thrill of your first time bouncing along the singletrack on a rigid beater bike.

MTBR is a great place to find trails and people to ride with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts