Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as a (slightly poor) WW I decided to get some NOS R7 MRD forks with the carbon wrap (for more stiffness) - I was prepared to have the possibility of a dodgey fork given their light weight.

I opened the box and was amazed at how good they looked, however picking them up I thought 'hmmmm.....don't seem to be light to feel, maybe the scale will say something else'

well, the fork with uncut steerer was 1470:eekster:

too heavy given the SID WC on there (which works better than the Manitou's) is 1480 with starnut in.
too heavy given there is an equal likelihood of getting a poor working fork

especially too heavy given these forks are supposed to be 1330g with the carbon wrap.:nono:

So back they go. Good price notwithstanding

·
Registered
54 Posts
AlexRandall said:
Well, as a (slightly poor) WW I decided to get some NOS R7 MRD forks with the carbon wrap (for more stiffness) - I was prepared to have the possibility of a dodgey fork given their light weight.

I opened the box and was amazed at how good they looked, however picking them up I thought 'hmmmm.....don't seem to be light to feel, maybe the scale will say something else'

well, the fork with uncut steerer was 1470:eekster:

too heavy given the SID WC on there (which works better than the Manitou's) is 1480 with starnut in.
too heavy given there is an equal likelihood of getting a poor working fork

especially too heavy given these forks are supposed to be 1330g with the carbon wrap.:nono:

So back they go. Good price notwithstanding
in the 2010 dirtworks catalogue the carbon R7s have a weight of 1418grams,
and if something is wraped in carbon its not going to be any lighter the just the alloy part eg FSA (OS-99 vs OS-99 CSI) stems sure the carbon wrap looks better but the plain alloy one is lighter,
my two manitou r7s weigh
Absolute damper 1347 cut with star nut and headset race
TCP damper UNCUT 1337

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're supposedly the 2009 versions that are the light ones....oh well, save up for some SID XX world cup.

·
Registered
644 Posts
AlexRandall said:
They're supposedly the 2009 versions that are the light ones....oh well, save up for some SID XX world cup.
I like the Manitou take on platform damping, you may want to reconsider your statement that the SID works better considering you can rid the Manitou of unwanted bobbing.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
No. The light ones were 2006 and early 2007 production. Those were made in USA. Weight of 1275g give or take 10 grams.

However the early ones suffered from o-ring failures causing the fork to lose travel.

This is probably the reason why the much hyped about R7 MRD forks are losing their shine. 30mm stanchions, but at the weight of a 32mm stanchion fork. Example 2010 Fox F100 RLC w/ the new FIT dampener is touted at being 1450g w/ uncut steerer. I do not believe anyone here on MTBR will dispute that FOX is the reigning king in terms of best dampener performance, fork stiffness, and suspension suppleness.

I myself when purchasing my own R7 MRD absolute was expecting 1280g. My came to be around 1360g uncut. Being that I paid 299 USD for the fork from JensonUSA last year on closeout sale I could not complain too much. If I had paid full retail price of close to 800 bucks including shipping and taxes I would be livid.

You should have waited for the 2010 forks. They come with the new Absolute+ dampener. This new dampener is suppose to use both a TPC and Platform setup. It can be retrofitted to your older R7 fork.

·
Registered
410 Posts
THe non carbon wrapped version is almost 100 grams lighter isn't it? With a weight of around 1380 I would consider it pretty light weight?

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Not when the Fox F100 RLC FIT which is stiffer, has better dampening and better reliability than a Manitou fork...

2010 Fox F100 RLC FIT: 1430g uncut
2010 Manitou R7 MRD Carbon: 1418g uncut.
2010 Mantou R7 MRD std: 1380g uncut

12 grams difference for carbon version. 50g difference for non carbon. I'll take the 50g penality for a fork that works amazing. Fox wins hands down.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 2010 Fox F32 RLC Fit was 1445g uncut. Cut the steerer - 60mm @ 25.7g - so that's 2.3g / cm of steerer tube. YMMV.

No remote - 9mm QR dropout.

Fox web site sez 1430 uncut, 1520 with a remote. That's a heavy remote. DT Swiss remote is only 53g.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's why I'm so pissed off with what I got:madman:

I was expecting that sort of weight.....what I got was the weight of a 2009 SID team, which is much stiffer and IMHO the best damped fork on the market (I came from a series of FOX forks, and the SID beat them for how I like to ride)

Never mind, the fork will soon be winging its way back to CRC and I'll just get an XX worldcup, which was my original plan anyhow.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tiffster has already done so on a Sid XX thread started by nino - do a quick search . I think they were about 1410 with cut steerer, of course this includes the X-loc remote.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.