Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
plobao,

How was the ride ?

I've been riding my 2006 Kula Supreme for 2 months and I love it !

I built it up from the frame up using various components (Chris King headset, ISO Disc Hubs, XT, XTR, Magura Marta) and although I haven't weighed it yet, it probably weighs in at around 21 or 22 lbs. I can literally lift the bike with 2 fingers. :)

The bike accelerates like a bat out of hell and handles like a dream.

Of course the only problem is that I'm unable to ride my older Sugar 3 now. My Sugar has a more forgiving ride (obviously) but it feels as though it's made of lead. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you believe it '

I'm still waiting for the ride...the seatpost you see in the pic is 1 inch too short and it is at the maximum lenght. I ordered one from Extralite and I'm still waiting for it. I have replaced the Fox for a SID WC, the XTR for the Extralite E-bones,....
For now I'm anxious to try it, but just when everything is like I wanted it. I will post my first ride and a pic too.

from Portugal,

paulo
konaken said:
plobao,

How was the ride ?

I've been riding my 2006 Kula Supreme for 2 months and I love it !

I built it up from the frame up using various components (Chris King headset, ISO Disc Hubs, XT, XTR, Magura Marta) and although I haven't weighed it yet, it probably weighs in at around 21 or 22 lbs. I can literally lift the bike with 2 fingers. :)

The bike accelerates like a bat out of hell and handles like a dream.

Of course the only problem is that I'm unable to ride my older Sugar 3 now. My Sugar has a more forgiving ride (obviously) but it feels as though it's made of lead. :p

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
plobao said:
I'm still waiting for the ride...the seatpost you see in the pic is 1 inch too short and it is at the maximum lenght. I ordered one from Extralite and I'm still waiting for it. I have replaced the Fox for a SID WC, the XTR for the Extralite E-bones,....
For now I'm anxious to try it, but just when everything is like I wanted it. I will post my first ride and a pic too.

from Portugal,

paulo
Sounds a bit like my build. Nice and light. Do you ever visit light-bikes.com?

Go here for a gander at my ride... http://light-bikes.com/bikegallery/BikeListing.asp?id=582

·
Registered
732 Posts
plobao,

Let us know when you're Kula is done. In the meantime, here's mine from today :

Not exactly a weight weenie but I'll upgrade it down the road. (Lighter crankset, wheels, etc.) Unfortunately, it'll be out of service for a week or so since my casette lockring basically disintegrated on me. Doh !

·
Read Only
0 Posts
WHOA! What size frame is that??

My bike is set up similar to yours Ken except for the disc brakes and eggbeaters and is an 18" frame. Mine weighs in at 22.75 lbs, but it's built to be sturdy.

Nice Kula.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The bike is a 14" so the slope of the top tube looks a little exaggerated.

I usually ride a 15" but for some reason, the Kula Supreme only comes in a 14" or 16". The 14" is a little small but it fits me better than a 16".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Kona upgraded

SID WC, Extralite seatpost and Extralite E-Bones W Crankset.
Weight : 9.280 grams (20.44 lbs). Next upgrade on the way : Extralite UltraDisc Wheelset (less 400 gr than Xmax SL).

Rode it in the road. Very nice.

cheers from portugal
top_ring said:
Sounds a bit like my build. Nice and light. Do you ever visit light-bikes.com?

Go here for a gander at my ride... http://light-bikes.com/bikegallery/BikeListing.asp?id=582

Attachments

·
Salt of the Earth
117 Posts
Looove the Kulas!

Not exactly as high zoot as the Supreme but I have to concur... I gave up riding my Dawg for the summer because of my (slightly customized) Kula Deluxe. 19".

Actually, with the build now, it is starting to resemble the 07 Kula Primo... hmmmmm.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
here's my kula...i pieced it together bit by bit...got the frame straight from kona for 199.99.....then i just bought mainly new, but some used parts off ebay, and from some LBS's, and like 750.00 later, here i am :) not too bad considering the complete bike from kona is like 1050....and the only thing it's got that i dont is raceface cranks, and hydraulic discs....but these bb5's are pretty sweet i think...

Attachments

·
Salt of the Earth
117 Posts
Another fine Kula

snobrder5 said:
here's my kula...i pieced it together bit by bit...got the frame straight from kona for 199.99.....then i just bought mainly new, but some used parts off ebay, and from some LBS's, and like 750.00 later, here i am :) not too bad considering the complete bike from kona is like 1050....and the only thing it's got that i dont is raceface cranks, and hydraulic discs....but these bb5's are pretty sweet i think...
A great looking Kula AND it drinks draft beer! :band:

Seriously tho, since we have only slightly hijacked the "Kula Supreme" thread anyone else care to get thier Kula freak on? Let's see em... we are all family here after all..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.