Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '94 bontrager racelite 8 spd, and I've always liked the intricacies of derailleurs. Love the way they work. Mmm, marvels of technology they are. Anyway, about a year ago, I thought about simplicity - no shocks, more that one gear, no clipless, and I think I am moving that direction. I tried single speeding for the first time today, and I must say, I was really suprised at how fun it was, how fullfilling as well. I was able to go up all the hills I regularly do in a lower gear (BTW, my gear ratio was 34/17). I didn't have to get frustrated with my derailleur, and I noticed the relative silence, except when I was descending (my derailleur was slapping up and down, which always is the case, but I noticed it more now that my mind was attuned to single speeding it). Anyway, I'm gonna do it more, until I can really know if it is for me or not. I've been lookin' online for different SS bikes, and a few stand out to me for 1500 and under, one especially (Jamis Exile SS). Steel frames are important to me. They are good, aluminum is not. Hardtails are important to me. They are good, DS is not (for me at least). Anyway just my thoughts. Any suggestions? Any SSers in Vermont?
 

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
Joined
·
16,319 Posts
Welcome

steel is real said:
... Steel frames are important to me. They are good, aluminum is not. Hardtails are important to me. They are good, DS is not (for me at least). Anyway just my thoughts. Any suggestions? Any SSers in Vermont?
Welcome, and thanks for not puking all over everybody as you came through the door. Seriously. I believe I speak for everybody when I say we appreciate it.

I ride a steel hardtail SS almost exclusively these days (although I have a couple 8-spd "simple drivetrain" bikes and a half dozen other sleds, too); anyway, like you I do love a good quality steel frame. I hope you come to love SSing as much as many of us here do, for whatever personal reason you choose.

May you never have to defend it.

If you're going to spend as much money as you mentioned, you might be able to find a custom builder to help you out. I recommend Vulture (cuz that's what I ride and love) but there are many good & talented guys out there who build quality steel frames. Or you could snag a production On One or Surly, etc.

Wish I could ride with you but I live in Oregon. Maybe you could come west for MBO (Mountain Bike Oregon, Aug. 18-22 [see ad at the top of the MTBR Oregon regional forum]).

Regardless, best of luck.

--Sparty
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
How about this?

steel is real said:
I have a '94 bontrager racelite 8 spd, and I've always liked the intricacies of derailleurs. Love the way they work. Mmm, marvels of technology they are. Anyway, about a year ago, I thought about simplicity - no shocks, more that one gear, no clipless, and I think I am moving that direction. I tried single speeding for the first time today, and I must say, I was really suprised at how fun it was, how fullfilling as well. I was able to go up all the hills I regularly do in a lower gear (BTW, my gear ratio was 34/17). I didn't have to get frustrated with my derailleur, and I noticed the relative silence, except when I was descending (my derailleur was slapping up and down, which always is the case, but I noticed it more now that my mind was attuned to single speeding it). Anyway, I'm gonna do it more, until I can really know if it is for me or not. I've been lookin' online for different SS bikes, and a few stand out to me for 1500 and under, one especially (Jamis Exile SS). Steel frames are important to me. They are good, aluminum is not. Hardtails are important to me. They are good, DS is not (for me at least). Anyway just my thoughts. Any suggestions? Any SSers in Vermont?
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI407F00-Bianchi+Sass+05+Bike+Wmx+Comp+Upgrade.aspx

Or the Keith Bontrager mobile make a nice conversion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies

I don't understand why people would dis any form of riding that doesn't encroach upon another person or harm another person. To me it's all about personal decision. Oh well, some people just like to argue I guess. I am in Central Vermont. And the suggestions are cool. I still have about a year to go before I can afford a new bike by the old method: saving fer it. I'll keep an eye out, though, for any models and reviews, as well as custom jobs.

Thanks a hoot.
 

·
Expert Pushing SSer
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
steel is real said:
I don't understand why people would dis any form of riding that doesn't encroach upon another person or harm another person. To me it's all about personal decision. Oh well, some people just like to argue I guess. I am in Central Vermont. And the suggestions are cool. I still have about a year to go before I can afford a new bike by the old method: saving fer it. I'll keep an eye out, though, for any models and reviews, as well as custom jobs.

Thanks a hoot.
I am with Bike Nazi, that Bonty would be a great SS. Man, I miss mine. As others have said, there is the natural progression of SSing:
a) Convert
b) Box stock (Surly, Soma, On-One, etc.)
c) Custom (as Sparty pointed out, you don't need to spend thousands on a frame).

Either way, welcome to the board and try and avoid the brainwashing!

:D
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top